What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

Dinner last night was a beef stew (made Saturday and then refrigerated half, froze half) with carrots, served over creamy pureed cauliflower topped with parsley, lemon juice, and evoo. Napa Cab to drink.

17 Likes

Purchased :rofl:But I made the sauce.

1 Like

Mmmmm

1 Like

What a brilliant use of hollandaise! Genius.

3 Likes

Beautiful and resourceful

Tonight, first night in country -> what’s fast and not frozen -> pantry tacos = seared Jalapeno flavored SPAM (who knew there even was such stuff!), revived fridge tortillas, canned pintos, jarred guacamole salsa, fresh lettuce, fast tomato salsa and cheese. Surprisingly okay. Not threatening any taco trucks or tacquerias but for a 10 minute throw together, thumbs up.

A little wine didn’t hurt.

12 Likes

@Barca, that is my kind of Monday lunch, totally. I’ll post mine tomorrow in the regional boards. We went to Seattle, and had a fabulous late lunch, complete with pictures. May also post in the Greek cooking thread. Beautiful sunny day, as a bonus! :sun_with_face:

Love. It.

i see i have a LOT of catching up here to do! Dinner tonight, my first night back, was a freezer-pull of guisado de pollo. BF made rice and a little cuke salad.

guisado%203

AND, sharing some of the home-cooked meals I had in FL, 99% of which were made by our hostess for anywhere from 6-8 people at a time. One of us made a salad, another a fabulous cheesecake. I think I chopped two onions. But everything was scrumptious. First night was pork souvlaki, Greek salad, spanakopita (sooo buttery!) and fasolakia.

Second night: Italian night, and one of the stars of the weekend, a pancetta-wrapped and stuffed pork roast, eggplant rollatini, broccoli rabe, and rigatoni. that roast! but even that rabe! and the rollatini! The cheesecake with citrus curd was had that night too.

Third night: New Orleans! Grilled oysters in a garlicky, cheesy butter, chicken and andouille gumbo (of which I only got a picture of the roux), shrimp po boys, and soft-shelled crabs.

I literally gained 4.5 lbs. in 3 days. (All the booze didn’t hurt! Oh yeah, I did contribute by bringing stuff and making Sazeracs for the New Orleans night. Other nights there were Martinez cocktails, martinis, Manhattans, Veuve Cliquot, Barolo wine, etc. etc. etc.)

I would have a hard time picking a favorite meal, but it’s a toss-up between that pork roast, the shrimp po boys, and the grilled oysters.

For the rest of the week, dust and water salads, all day! :grin:

21 Likes

Must have been a good spring break (I heard it from Linguaf). Work off the extra pounds later. I could only contribute alcohol and it would be bubbly!

2 Likes

That’s true! Need some fans to keep the fire burning. :laughing:

What a festin! Were you on a road trip? That roast, that rabe, that crab! All those themes!

2 Likes

it was simply fabulous!

1 Like

No, i was visiting friends (ex-Chowhounders/FB food group members) at one woman’s house in FL. 3rd year she’s hosted. She’s incredibly generous and a fantastic cook.

3 Likes

We both had 100 grams each of pasta …
French Champagne shared by two.
1 bottle of sparkling wáter.
A radicchio salad with Modena Balsamico e Italian Evoo.
Grissini, northern seasonal fruit and 1 sheep and 1 goat cheese, a finale !

More than enough !!

5 Likes

Leftover pesto, artichoke, and chicken pizza from lunch, served up with tomato soup. Quick.

2 Likes

T-bones. That’s wfd.

Our local Safeway Market was giving away meat!

Well, not really. At $4.99 per lb, almost free.

Passed up the toilet tissue aisle and hoarded some meat instead.

16 Likes

Swordfish piccata; pasta with roasted cauliflower, chickpeas, lemon & parsley; asparagus and green beans.

The upside to social distancing and working from home is more family time and dinners together during the week. That’s a bonus as we watch all the scariness around us.

8 Likes

Was in the mood for something warm and comforting even though it was in in low 80’s today

corned beefs were on sale and while I usually pick them up and smoke’em to make pastrami, I made corned beef and cabbage tonight.

8CCDDA59-54E7-415A-81C3-5AA9B8568007.jpeg

15 Likes

Dinner last night. H cooked loin lamb chops to a perfect rare/med rare, reduced merlot & beef stock pan stock, mounted with butter. Broccoli & carrots. Merlot to drink. I ate and drank. Hit the spot.image|700x525

4 Likes