What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

With St. Patrick’s Day two days away, it was time for a Reuben Stromboli!

No booze tonight. Sunday is usually a “night off”.

14 Likes

Grilled chicken Caesar salads tonight. Kiddo had chicken and rice, and ignored the lone piece of dressed Romaine on his plate. I marinated the chicken in lemon, Aleppo chili, rosemary, garlic, Badia Adobo, s&p, and oo.

13 Likes

Nice idea!

2 Likes

Asparagus + Green Goddess

Mac and cheese, first of probably many days of comfort foods
photo%202-1

17 Likes

Grilled chicken, brown rice, grilled broccoli and a corn salad of sorts. Comforting food as things feel like they are getting extra real. Let’s see how two busy professionals fare with a toddler!

13 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Bistro D’Azur. Below is a link to the details and pictures for those that might be interested.

2 Likes

Really :heart: those plates

3 Likes

Nothing but Stop & Shop, and a Shaw’s/Star Market on our end of the Cape. A good, small family owned store in Orleans (Friend’s Market) so we will check them out tomorrow. Sadly, Phoenix Fruit & Vegetables closed 3 years ago. Have to go 1/2 hour to Hyannis to Trader Joe’s and a mini Whole Foods. I only stop in there when I have a medical appointment. An hour round trip is really not worth it.

3 Likes

Locally made sauerkraut , same for the bratwurst. I over cooked the Bavarian style sauerkraut little bit. What can you expect on this quarantined Sunday . No not that. The snow . Potato , some cucumber. Cheers .

16 Likes

We didn’t go for our usual Sunday fries brunch today, as we’ve entered the social distancing era. Governor Newsom announced just this evening that all bars/pubs/wineries will close in CA. He’s leaving restaurants open for now as some people still need to order delivery or take-out, and also to keep people as productive as we can for as long as possible. Strange times.

Hainanese chicken rice was a comforting dinner. Boiled 4 BISO thighs in water with ginger, garlic & salt for 20 mins., took 2 of the thighs out for our dinner, left the other two in for another 20 for the broth. Makes such a rich broth, leaving the whole thighs in. Rice made with that broth results in delicious, fatty rice. Ginger scallion sauce and broth at the table, to pour over everything. Cuke salad on the side.

Stay safe & healthy, all!

18 Likes

omg, i gasped out loud at this loveliness! swoon…

1 Like

this is just a mouthwatering dish.

1 Like

Superbly splendid looking roast chicken …

What are your ingredients for such a lovely Golden Brown roasted chicken and gravy ?

1 Like

Thank you for your lovely compliment. Very simple …

“We shall survive” as Gloria Gaynor belted out the disco blues in the 1970s !!

The economic impact in the hospitality sectors (restaurants, bars, hotels, travel & tourism & tiny Pymes = very small businesses under 25 - 50 employees) are most effected.

Working remote as most of us here, until results are seen at end of month. The Spanish Government was alot quicker to act than the Italian Government.

The most lamentable element is: The lack of a vaccine preventive or pill antidote to prevent the disease and also to cure it …

Stay healthy.

3 Likes

Thanks. My aunt’s work. She makes the most beautiful pottery and uses this incredible wood fire kiln process. I love her stuff!

2 Likes

Pan drippings, some chicken stock, and a slurry of flour, s/p, paprika, dried thyme, and garlic powder. Then a bit of Gravy Master for color, a browning seasoning.

3 Likes

Weve gone out three times in the last week. Last night at Farmstead in Napa, the seating was changed to allow for social distancing. Not so two nights before at Bull Valley Roadhouse.

Kids are heading home, and guess that might be the end of dining out for awhile.

BTW, there are reservations available at The French Laundry!

2 Likes

yeah, i just can’t do it anymore. I get paid to write reviews and I told my editor that I thought we should probably not be publishing restaurant reviews during this time. She agreed.

11 Likes

Sigh. My daughter does digital marketing for the arts, and on Friday, her clients were cancelling meetings and contracts. This morning they were sharing performances with no audience, while the audience was watching and sharing on Facebook. She felt good about that.

5 Likes

Thank you very much …

Just jotted it down in my notebook …