What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

@Barca, I’m thinking the branch on the plate must be bay laurel leaves - am I correct here? Nice looking lunch and wine too!

1 Like

Yes, the branch is Bay Leaf …

Thank you and have a nice evening and wkend. ahead.

Interesting, I always picked the leaves from the branch, I guess it is easier to get rid of the whole thing with your way.

1 Like

Yes, this was one of the those fairly simple and quick lunches as we had alot of shopping to do early this morning as well as an El Corte Ingles Supermarket delivery and the central market, for some vegetables and splotted light red and green sour acidic apples …

Bouillabaisse, fish tacos, you can bake nearly any species in lemon and butter or add sweet chili sauce and garlic for a Thai spin.

My wife’s NJ-based family has had annual treks to Narragansett Rhode Island to fish for striped bass (called rockfish here on Chesapeake Bay). There success rate has been declining of late - not clear if that is family age (the rocks are slippery) or the fish population.

It strikes me that bouillabaisse in a Thermos when your husband departs at oh-dark-30 would be motivation.

1 Like

Remade the apple + cheese and beef pie. It’s a specialty from Mayenne. I’ve talked about this in French COTQ. This time I used oxtail instead of chuck steak, meat was softer and fatter, we preferred. It was melting soft after 3 hours’ cooking with red wine. For the pie, I added more apple, cheese and pommeau, and a bit less beef this time. A better balance.

Port Salut is a semi-soft pasteurised cow’s milk cheese from Pays de la Loire, origin from monastery of Entrammes. The cheese is also called Entrammes.

17 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. My family has a few favorites but I’m trying to expand their horizons.

Your family’s lack of success could be because the definition of a “keeper” has become much more restrictive. At least in NJ the minimum size has gone up and there are limits on how big a fish you can keep.

The only liquids usually allowed on the boat are Miller Light and melted ice.

4 Likes

Where in NJ? My FIL is in Avenel and my BIL is in Brick. I’m in and out of AC, Barnegat, and Manasquan several times each year. I’ll be in AC in a few weeks. I’ve been a boater my adult life and a professional yacht delivery skipper for about fifteen years. One of my aphorisms is that too much food, water, fuel (and by extension beer) are self correcting problems.

I am the poster boy for why the activity is called “fishing” and not “catching.” I dragged a Green Machine (a good sized lure for pelagic species like tuna, wahoo, and mahi-mahi) from Falmouth UK to Norfolk VA (stops in Horta Azores and St Georges Bermuda) and caught NOTHING. My job is to butcher and cook what other’s catch. Otherwise I keep my focus on my job.

I listen carefully to successful fisherman like your husband but have long since given up on personal success.

Oh - if there is melted ice your husband needs a better cooler. I’m a big fan of Yeti. They make great presents - that’s how I got mine. grin

I actually live in Manasquan near the Drawbridge. I love being able to walk to the beach and not having to worry about parking. Mr Bean is the first to admit he’s not the best fisherman but he hangs out with very good ones. He usually fishes with his friend who lives on the Beaver Dam but heads out through the Manasquan inlet.

Funny about traveling with a lure. A couple of years ago we went to Costa Rica and Mr Bean got stopped as his luggage went through x-ray. Turned out there was a fish hook, with lure attached, in one of the pockets of his back pack. He didn’t even know it was there. They confiscated the hook but let him keep the lure.

1 Like

Single leaves are what we are used to. A small branch = bringing drama to the plate

2 Likes

Need not only your magnificent pie but also lust for your PLATES!

2 Likes

Cape Cod legal stripers are 28" for sport fishing. Commercial they have to be 36". Now for blues, limits are 3. ( Like who cares)

Chicken thigh in white wine, Camargue rice

7 Likes

BF’s birthday is tomorrow so we kicked off the celebration with drinks and apps at a bar across the street from our regular haunt.

Drinks were several. Appetizers were coconut shrimp and bacon cheeseburger “lollipops”. All very good.

16 Likes

Mmmm, nice @gcaggiano - a very happy b-day to the BF, and many, many healthy years ahead :birthday:

4 Likes

Miso salmon tonight, a family favorite. With mixed “Asian” vegetable blend (blergh) and steamed jasmine rice.

15 Likes

Made Corona (bad timing!) beans in the IP this morning, steamed/sauteed broccolini with crushed garlic, stirred in sliced Spanish chorizo to just heat. Chili flakes, smoked paprika, olive oil… Garlic-rubbed sourdough toast drizzled with olive oil on the side. Very satisfying and filling.

16 Likes

Kids are home! Roasted Turkey breast and roasted red cabbage glazed with pomegranate molasses.

22 Likes

that cabbage is gorgeous!

2 Likes

yum, and happy happy to the BF!!

2 Likes