What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Roasted mushrooms look fabulous. I have always cooked them stovetop. What’s a good temperature for roasting them ?

1 Like

aaaargh those mushrooms are killing me! plus a runny egg??? AAAAAAGH! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Thank you! Some say 400, some 450 f. Supposedly roasting can drive out more water and make them carmelize and more intensely flavored or something.

4 Likes

Hi these were dried udon noodles. They are easy to use and cook up fast. I’m honestly not sure if they were hk or Cantonese style and already tossed the package.

Wow yum!!! That looks amazing!

Yes, that is from my ancestor’s hometown of Hokkien or Fujian ( pronunciation is based on dialect. Hokkien for our Hokkien dialect, and Fujian using mandarin dialect. I will have to look for those next time I am at the Asian store . I used to buy the dried once. They are called Ja Mi using the Fujien dialect if using it as a stir fry dish which my mother always prepare for .birthdays as the long noodles signify longevity,
Here is a recipe if you use it as stir fry

5 Likes

What was the texture of the eggs?

Those mushrooms :heart_eyes:

Yolks were perfect; whites less so.

OMG drool. What’s the egg method?

1 Like

Somehow I can’t get myself to cook eggs in the microwave. I’m too finicky about the texture and doneness. Everything else, though, sure.

2 Likes

Last night I made salmon roasted in a sauce of melted butter, horseradish mustard, honey, and soy sauce. Kiddo went CRAZY for this sauce - it reminded me of Chex mix. Sides were peas, cauliflower cheese, and root veggie fries. He even ate some soft-cooked cauliflower!

Small plates out tonight. And babysitting :grin:

14 Likes

It was from this thread;

I read more here, on Bon appetit.

3 Likes

I do, but only for egg sandwiches where they are not the star.

That sauce sounds delicious! I’m gonna have to try it one of these days.

1 Like

thanks

Better, i’m that kid.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Easy-peasy non-lemon-squeezy dinner:

Bacon cheeseburger on a lightly toasted brioche bun with a squidge of ketchup, and tater chips alongside.

I was going to make homemade French fries, but an earlier involvement with an evening libation focused my attention on the easier chippy taters-in-a-bag.

::boom::: T’was dinnah.

17 Likes

My local Costco (Lakewood, NJ) had some beautiful, fresh swordfish today. Since swordfish is one of my favorites, it was a given that’s what we’d have for dinner. Seared in a cast iron pan and finished in the oven. Deglazed the pan with butter, garlic, lemon zest and parsley.

21 Likes

Perfect

Gumbo again.

I never seem to have courage/time/perspicacity to go darker with the roux.

A brief guide to roux

10 Likes