What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Clearing the fridge before a trip.

There was a bit of rice left, so had that with the last bowl of dal and some of the vietnamese pork.

Then decided to make hakka noodles since I had a pepper, half an onion, scallions, and part of a bf of broccoli slaw. Sliced up the last few pieces of pork and added it. Didn’t have the right noodles, though, so I made do with angel hair. Hit the spot, and there’s a bit leftover that will make a fine flight meal.

12 Likes

Chicken quarters . Marinated for a little bit . Garlic , red wine vinegar, red wine , dried oregano, anchovy fillets Pan sauteed. zucchini, white beans . Very good . Wine to drink. CHEERS. :wine_glass:

6 Likes

I work with a guy from New Zealand who also uses the term yardbird. What does that mean - a chicken that had been running around the yard, a chicken cooked in the backyard or ? Just curious - thanks!

1 Like

Mussel & Paccheri Pasta Season … Dinner Thursday with Grandsons …
(Note: Photo 1 is a finished plate for children and they request cheese on their pastas ! regardless of the fact, that this is a definite no no ! however, they are only seven years old and six years old ) … So, we shall excuse them !!

14 Likes

YUM! i’ll have to try this sometime soon…

1 Like

I’ve always understood it to be a colloquial term for chickens. Now I’m spitballing here so don’t cite me in any scholarly publications, but I think it refers to non flight edible domesticated birds that would be running around a rural residential yard or farmyard.

5 Likes

Looks delicious! I love mussels…

Was that portion the whole meal for your grandkids or were there other things / another helping? Always curious, given how much portion sizes vary between the US and Europe.

1 Like

Probably looks like alot more (photo is large ) than it was. Paccheri are heavy short pasta tubes. Very filling.

Adults norm for pasta in Italy or Spain is approx 100 - 120 grams …

For school aged children it is quite a bit less.

We also had begun with a couple of cicchetti = appetisers and bread sticks = grissini …

We all had a small salad after our pasta, radicchio and rucola field greens with Modena Balsamic aged vinegar and Italian Evoo …

Then seasonal northern fruit (no tropical) and assorted sheep and goat cheese.

4 Likes

Meant to compliment you on your excellent looking meal @Barca. I love mussels too, and here in Washington state, we’re famous for our Penn Cove mussels nearby. Absolutely delicious and surprisingly fabulous in a Thai green chile sauce! Hope to have some soon.

Like @Saregama, I too am interested in portion sizes in various places. I have come to detest the heaping restaurant plates you so often get in much of the country. I usually take at least half home, if not more. I still struggle with my weight, so am not being a weightest here or judge- mental about how much others eat.

3 Likes

Thank you for the compliment.

We are big fans of fresh shellfish …

We have never been to Washington State.

The Americas:
Only Manhattan, as we attended a travel convention for 5 days 4 nights … Then Montreal to visit friends who live there …

We had travelled to quite a few countries years ago, in Central and South America however.
Peru was quite fascinating.

Well it is quite late here and so I Will say, have a lovely day.

It is 12.05am … Time to relax …

Have a wonderful and restful :sleeping: sleep @Barca.

1 Like

On vacation, enjoying someone else doing the cooking. Have a great weekend, all!

15 Likes

I thought they were a rock group from the 60’s?..but then again that time is just a cloud in my head!

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner with the kiddos and hubby (back early from a business trip): salmon rubbed with garlic, salt, pepper a bit of curry ; roasted cauliflower & chickepeas (seasoned w/garlic, pimenton, s/p), roasted brussel sprouts and asparagus. Mini chocolate lava cakes for dessert.

7 Likes

Porc au caramel, jasmine rice

13 Likes

Looks delicious

1 Like

I made a nostalgic casserole…must say the “healthy choice” canned soups I use didn’t help the outcome. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Chicken, broccoli, and cheese casserole over egg noodles.

9 Likes

Porc au caramel. This was stupid easy “what to do with boneless porkchop to be divided for two”. Used a stupid easy recipe from Red Boat fish sauce people. Half hour from dilemma to plate. And husband did thirds!

6 Likes

DW, wanting to spell me in the kitchen, did a deep dive into her recipe trove and came away with an American Goulash dish she last made “maybe 12 years ago.”

We liked it very well.

16 Likes

One of my very favorite comfort foods!

1 Like