What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

It’s the kind of “poetic” word that gets those of us married to engineers in trouble. As in, “I haven’t the slightest idea what you’re talking about.” Glad you understood.

1 Like

Super simple and easy dinner, and green!! :slight_smile:

Patagonian Toothfish. Fifteen minutes in the air fryer. Simply plopped on a bed of undressed cilantro and green onions.

Tossed salad with mostly spinach. Nuked zuchs tossed with olive oil and euro style butter.

• Chilean seabass can be sustainability harvested, at least according to Whole Foods.
14 Likes

Very interesting. Are they marketing it as Chilean seabass or Patagonian toothfish?

Marketed with its marketing name, Chilean seabass.

I’m glad the industry has been able to regulate the harvest and hopefully sustain the long term future of the fishery. This fish is delightful, with a juicy tender meat with subtle sweet flavor. Fortunately, it is rather expensive (for us). We are not likely to do much damage to the native population with over consumption.

2 Likes

Back in the kitchen Tuesday night after a couple of weeks away. I reverse seared a couple of Pork Chops, DW offered up broccoli florets.

Last night, Pizza…

Dough manufactured in Austria! Easy peezy to use.

15 Likes

That’s a helluva way to jump back into the fray - that chop looks SO good!

4 Likes

I’m glad too. Chilean Seabass was one of my favorite fish though expensive even back in the day.

I read your linked article and it wasn’t clear to me how it was being marketed. I thought maybe they wouldn’t use CS given its reputation of poor ecology stewardship.

Holy Guacamole! I just checked the Whole Foods website. $29.99/lb. That’s crazy

1 Like

For what? The redirect isn’t going back to my original post to which you responded.

Sorry - the Chilean Seabass was $29.99/lb at my local Whole Foods

1 Like

Glad to see you back RJ…

1 Like

It does look good!

2 Likes

A very “virtuous” dinner tonight. Apparently there’s a festival tomorrow that warrants fasting of a specific type, with “fasting food.” Now I don’t fast or anything, but I do love some of those dishes.

Millet porridge that’s made like risotto, with lots of stirring to prevent clumping - I experimented with my oven polenta method instead. Flavored with ginger and green chilli, and tempering.

And potato bhaji made nice and crusty courtesy a heavy pan. Very simple - salt and red chilli powder.

There’s supposed to be something sour too - a yogurt-based wet dish in lieu of dal, but I was being lazy and just added a dollop of yogurt to the bowl for tang instead.

And the most important thing (to me) - topping of raw peanuts toasted till crunchy and then roughly crushed.

My first time making this particular meal: quite pleased.

12 Likes

The sophistication of this meal is so far from anything I have ever contemplated that I remain in awe of your output. Thanks for these tastes. Way out of my league.

2 Likes

Back to earth, fresh cheese with sweet onion dressing (my take on Subway sauce)

Cold plate = shredded chicken, asparagus, beets, mushrooms, all drizzled with Caesar dressing.
Sauteed potato with truffle salt

12 Likes

Low-carb adobo pork bowls were well received.

17 Likes

Not a plated or studio shot but will share it anyways. This is Pescado a lo Macho, a Peruvian dish featuring crispy petrale sole and a spicy “curry” made from aji amarillo peppers, prawn stock, paprika, Mexican oregano (from my garden) and tomatoes.

18 Likes

Yum! Looks great.

That’s very kind. This is actually the opposite of sophisticated: very simple food for fasting days. Most ingredients are not allowed, just a very pared-down set (no vegetables except potato, most spices are out, most grains are out, and so on).

But I did realize when I was describing the dishes that many of these are unfamiliar as they would never appear on a restaurant menu or in a cookbook, because it’s really the most intimate of home cooking. It would never be served to guests either - too “plain” (by design).

4 Likes

That color! Looks delicious.