What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Tonight was seared scallops, roasted green beans (in the new multi-use appliance…yes, another), and quattro formaggio risotto with sauteed shredded zucchini. For dessert, we dipped raspberries, strawberries, and cherries in tempered dark chocolate. Big hit.

18 Likes

I went to Trader Joe’s today and when I got home to put everything away, I realized I have to stop feeding the freezer and start eating from it…both upstairs and down.

So sausage and roasted broccoli pizza with roasted garlic tomato sauce done in the convection oven was WWFD. And while it could have used a bit more crisp on the crust, it was good.

A large glass of wine alongside, and “Rocketman” on the flat screen.

18 Likes

I know my freezer is like purgatory
Where most items wait to be tossed . In fact I have a post it note on the freezer door . CLEAN FREEZER.

8 Likes

I keep a printout of an Excel spreadsheet of what’s in the downstairs chest freezer and the upstairs kitchen freezer and update it in pen until it needs to be retyped and reprinted. It’s the only way I can keep track!

2 Likes

Long Korean lunch out, so a quick dinner at home before going over to a friend’s for drinks.

Grilled cheese with some chili paste inside along with cheddar, and a soft-yolk aka jammy boiled egg alongside.

I’m hoping the excessive banchan consumption counts as dinner veg too…

I baked brownies to take, but them smashed into them by mistake… maybe 3/4 can be salvaged… waiting for them to cool outside.

11 Likes

Our freezer is a mix of meal shortcuts (esp. veg and potato products, meatball and patty-type things), stock parts, various half-used purees and sauces (pumpkin, chipotle en adobo, tomato sauce), and things we prefer not to eat a lot of (homemade bread, half-eaten desserts). Bad scene. We are eating it down now in anticipation of part of a cow share trucked in by the in-laws :grin:

3 Likes

One of my favorite comfort foods. Caldo verde

13 Likes

Smushed brownies are still brownies, in my book at least. With a pint of vanilla ice cream and fudge sauce in hand, it almost looks intentional.

4 Likes

We had a bittersweet dinner at Laurel and Sage, which we just found out is closing at the end of March, when their lease runs out. Below are the details and pictures.

5 Likes

I unsmushed a good part of the pan - so only one end is visibly smushed :rofl:

I think it’s fine -seems there’s wine and chips, so the brownies are major upgrade to the evening :grin:

4 Likes

Love Caldo Verde

2 Likes

Nice . I just look in the freezer . " I might need ya . You have another day ".

1 Like

Would you be willing to share your recipe? So many different ones online - thanks!

The sear on those scallops is perfection.

1 Like

After a few super crazy work weeks, I was finally able to have a down day. For lunch we went out to a newish brewery and had some really good tots (that apricot habanero dipping sauce was the bomb), and a pizza. Dinner was a clean out the frig risotto. Stock, lemon juice, fennel, shallot, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, topped with green onion and lemon zest. Wine to drink.

13 Likes

Always off the cuff but the basics. A big bag of cut kale was inspiration

A med large Spanish onion was diced and sautéed in olive oil then sliced garlic added to the pot followed by sliced turkey kielbasa. All cooked together for a little while. Then in went the sliced cut kale followed by thawed chicken stock from the freezer. Simmer until kale is getting soft and add a good dash crushed red and a medium diced potato and cook till all flavors meld and potato is soft. Break up soft potatoes so the starch works into the broth. Then It’s show time

7 Likes

My best bread yet . Yay . Cheers .

15 Likes

Magnificant feast and a gorgeous White Persian …

Hope you have had a lovely 2020 so far.

Happy Valentine´s Weekend.

1 Like

GIOTRIOLOGY1525139_530049930424234_941979623_n GIOTULIPSOFCHOCOLATE734465_520844188011475_1536282152_n Photo Copyright: Giovanni. Desserts for Valentines.

9 Likes

Last night was a Chinese meal. I made braised tofu and aubergine with black beans on Thursday so this needed using up. There were king prawns and Chinese chives in the freezer and the Cantonese dish of prawns, scrambled eggs and chive was one I has wanted to make for a while.
Pak choi with oyster sauce and sesame oil to have something green. A couple of months ago I pickled some green beans with ginger, start anise , Sichuan peppercorns and fennel seeds (to save throwing them away as we were going away on holiday). They had matured nicely and went well with the other dishes.

16 Likes