What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Which récipe are you interested in ?

1. The mussels with Pacchiere …

2. Tuscan Pork Tenderlion roast …

It shall take a few days, however, yes, I can type it out …

Oh sorry I didn’t reference it - the ancient convent French Bread dessert. Hope it’s not too long or difficult for you. I could maybe also research it on internet if it’s pretty standard? Just let me know and also no hurry!

2 Likes

Once every 12 years!

5 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

New thread for March is here:

1 Like

TORRIJAS … CONVENT LENT BREAKFAST DESSERT ( SPANISH FRENCH TOAST )

For 2 people :

2 SLICES OF A THICKLY SLICED EGG OR RAISIN BREAD ( WE USE A BREAD FROM A CONVENT BUT CLOSEST ABROAD MIGHT BE THE ABOVE )

2 EGGS
1 GLASS OF MOSCATEL SWEET WHITE WINE OR SIMILAR
DUSTING SUGAR ( NATURAL SUGAR BROWN EXTREMELY FINE FOR SPRINKLING )
CINAMMON GROUND VERY FINE
A BOTTLE OF VERY LIGHT SPANISH OLIVE OIL EXTRA VIRGIN
1 SKILLET OR SAUTÉ PAN

1. COMBINE YOUR EGGS WITH THE WINE (LIKE you would do with milk and eggs in making French Toast)

and lightly beaten.

1. place the evoo in the skillet …

2. take the bread slices (oval slices ) and dip lightly into the egg mixture.

3. sauté in HOT EVOO …

4. SAUTÉ UNTIL GOLDEN GOLDEN

5. THEN DRAIN ON PAPER TOWELLING

6. WHEN JUST A BIT COOLER, SPRINKLE WITH SUGAR AND CINAMMON

SERVE WITH FRESH FRUIT OF CHOICE AND AN ESPRESSO OR CAFFÉ CAPUCCHINO

ENJOY !!! NICE BRUNCH IN BED !!! Ha Ha Ha … or a 17.00 SNACK CALLED A MERIENDA.

6 Likes

Thanks so much, sounds intriguing!

1 Like

Though I know I wasn’t the one to request your recipe for torrijas, I too want to chime in with a thank you.

Hmmm, I see a merienda in our future.

And just to keep the thread on topic, in the U.S. some people eat what they call “breakfast for dinner.” If someone were going to dine on American-style pancakes they might consider torrijas.:smiley:

2 Likes

@Barca Beautiful!
I have so many questions; that is a tenderloin, and not a loin? And on the surface; is that fat or skin?
And do you buy it that way, or do you butterfly it, or add a layer of fat or skin outside? I’d love to see the steps leading up to the tied role.

Intriguing … You can use milk and butter too – a modern bakery versión however, I am lactose intolerant to cow milk …

We really prefer the historically traditional with Moscatel and Evoo …

I hope you enjoy your “Merienda” …

It is an acquired taste … Most foreigners (not Iberian Spaniards) are more accustomed to the French Version, with butter and cow milk …

However, it really is the bread that makes this simple breakfast dessert a success.

And do not feel odd asking for a récipe !!! When I have the time – I type with a smile !!

1 Like

Thank you very much. It is turned out amazingly exceptional …

Have a lovely evening …

1 Like

Grateful to you! It makes me so happy to learn about ways to use olive oil.

On a visit to Barcelona years back, we once had a delicious chocolate pudding dessert made with olive oil. Unforgettable.

1 Like

Wow … Yes, Evoo is frequently used in tarts, bizochos, chocolate desserts amongst others.

Spain is one of the world´s largest producers of Evoo however, there is industrial level and there is a connooisseurs or Michelin level.

I am also very fond of Italian Evoo also, especially the Green used predominately for fish and seafood.

Have a lovely day … Stay well.

2 Likes

Do you remember where you had the chocolate dessert with Evoo in Barcelona ?

Hi, Barca! I think I tracked this down on an old blog by a travel writer and photographer, which is where I read about the restaurant.

We went to a then-new place in 2010 that I believe was called Quatro. The restaurant appeared to be an old neighborhood bar (Bar Quatro) that creative young people had remade. The blog post described the dessert as a “salty chocolate mousse”—which I recalled as pudding. Rich and silky.

The location was:
Cuatro
C/ Montserrat, 4 (near Drassanes Metro)

Time changes all things, so I would be surprised if the restaurant is still around.

2 Likes

Aargh, sorry that I typed “Quatro” rather than “Cuatro” above.

Thank you so much.

I shall have my secretary check to see if it is still open under the name Quatro …

Really appreciate this !!

Have a lovely day ahead.

1 Like

@Tomato, Tomato …

The bar - restaurant is CUATRO not QUATRO and it is located very close to the Cristóbal Colón Statue.
( You write this navigator´s name as Christopher Columbus ).

THE PHONE NUMBER IS: área code (34) 93 - 165 - 1644 …

It is walkable from Ciutat Vella and La Rambla or the Passeig Maritum (car free paved lane, parallel to the beach ) …

So we are planning to go over on Friday …

Thanks again …

1 Like