What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Thank you so much for your suggestion but shaving their hair off is not recommended bec they will actually also be exposed to sunstroke…I try to trim them a bit, my son who takes them the beach often says he placed them in an umbrella and often place an ice cube on their back. When I take t hem to the garden, my poms would run around m property but they usually go and lie down at my marble plaza or marble for the larger sculpture ‘WHIRLWIND" is 6’ wide. The marble apparently keeps them cook, and I do bring water for them to drink. My Wolfie never complains but Luna wil come and give me a kiss meaning she wants to return home
It is just this dental prophylaxis which is very expensive ( beyond my means to bring them to a board certified vet dentist at 1100 for everything with an Annapolis doc, 800 plus in Montgomery County but X-Ray and lab work not included. On top of that, of course regular vet knocked off 9 teeth when only 3 were loose `13 months ago !
So, I bright them twice a day plus use gel every night recommended by VOHC ( 70 plus shipping plus tax for 2 ounce gel ) . That is expensive!
Lately, both are sliding on my terrace cotta the floor. Shoes is not an option bec I tried, takes time and when they go out, it is lost! So, I am trying musher’s paw balm rubbing into their paws at night for traction but it is not working!
I love them as they are my babies and would do anything to keep them happy. They require bathing every 21 days and after they have a bath, we lie downing bed for the rest of the day as I do not want them to lay on tile floors!
Is that your pet sheepdog?
Beautiful
I guess this may be off topic but take care and thanks
I posted congee which I cooked the other day and it really is delicious esp when. you are coming off flu, easy to digest! Take care

2 Likes

@gracieggg @Saregama

Thanks for the blooming tips and this make a lot of sense. In fact, the 2 recipes I’ve used (and I reread several times) didn’t indicate the warming of milk, just torn up the fresh yeast and put it on the flour with the other dry ingredients sugar and salt on the other side, then poured milk (didn’t indicate on the yeast either), and then added beaten eggs, and eventually the cold butter.

2 Likes

Mrs. P made delicious thick and creamy roasted kabocha squash soup with roasted granny smith apples, shrimp, maple syrup, heavy cream, chipotle, fresh thyme, garlic, ginger, black pepper, garlic salt, rabbit stock, and olive oil :yum:

12 Likes

We made pork adobo street tacos in corn-flour tortillas. Then out for a big band show with the kiddo (he’s all about tubas since New Orleans).

14 Likes

Guisado de pollo, made last night, with red onion, carrots, green, yellow, red, and orange peppers, cilantro, kale (because we had it), smoked paprika, bay leaf, cayenne, cumin, granulated garlic & onion. For the cheater moros y christianos (Cuban black beans and rice, also made last night): sauteed smashed garlic cloves, toasted rice, added chicken stock, and 1 can of beans with their liquid, and a couple of slices of bell pepper. Would have been better with something porky, but for cheater version? So satisfying. Sour cream and habanero “sriracha” hot sauce, BF’s green salad.

15 Likes

Wow - looks fantastic!

1 Like

End of the week, clean out the frig pasta meal. Sautéed shallots, yellow squash, chard, white wine, butter, freezer meatballs, and a pinch of saffron. Please let this week end!

10 Likes

Damn. That dish, like all others made by Mrs. P. looks restaurant worthy!

1 Like

Dinner tonight at Salt Creek Grille in Rumson, NJ. A new restaurant for me to review, which you can check out on the NJ board tomorrow or this weekend.

What a surprise to discover it was half-priced martini night when we walked in! Wonderful spot for the BF and I to have a date night. View of the Navesink River in the distance…

Burrata flatbread with prosciutto, argula, cherry tomatoes, pesto, and balsamic glaze.

Skillet cornbread baked to order (menu states 15 minutes) with bits of green chilies inside and side of honey butter.

My entree was bucatini with grilled chicken, prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, spinach, and bits of crispy chorizo in a goat cheese bechamel. Very rich!

BF’s short rib/chuck/brisket burger with cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, bacon jam, and bacon, with shoestring truffle-Asiago fries.

A totally unnecessary but incredibly decadent chocolate souffle (made to order-- 25 minutes) with fresh whipped cream and extra ganache on the side). What would date night be without chocolate?

Oh, and drinks…house classic Tanqueray martini for me, while he had a concoction of Sweet Tea Vodka, lemonade, simple syrup, muddled blackberries, and mint.

13 Likes

YUM and gotta agree with the kid here, tubas ARE awesome!

1 Like

Today I’m making baked sweet potatoes and carrots in olive oil with couscous!

2 Likes

Thanks Greg :relaxed: It was the first time she made it.

1 Like

Love that!

1 Like

The only thing I know about tubas is they are big and loud and low freq

I was in a band but never in “the band”.

Delicious! I have to say I have not much knowledge in Central and South American cuisines. Would love to learn more!!

1 Like

My nephew has been all about tubas for many years. Check to see if you have a local Tuba Christmas chapter. My nephew finally performed in his local Tuba Christmas this past December after years of being in the audience and I never saw a happier kid.

1 Like

Thank you! This is the simplest, most adaptable dish ever, and it has so much Latin flavor to it.
Saute onions, garlic, sear chicken, add any or combo of: smoked paprika, cayenne, cumin, chipotle powder, s&p, bay leaf, oregano, canned or fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce/paste, cilantro, sweet and/or hot peppers, carrots, potatoes, corn on the cob sections, green beans, etc. anything works. add to chicken, add chicken stock/water to cover half way, come to a gentle boil, then simmer on low for an hour. when cool enough, shred chicken into liquid, remove bones. serve with rice, tortillas. that’s it!

3 Likes

those fries are killing me!

4 Likes

sorry, forgot to ask last night. i will tonight!

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like