What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

The only thing I know about tubas is they are big and loud and low freq

I was in a band but never in “the band”.

Delicious! I have to say I have not much knowledge in Central and South American cuisines. Would love to learn more!!

1 Like

My nephew has been all about tubas for many years. Check to see if you have a local Tuba Christmas chapter. My nephew finally performed in his local Tuba Christmas this past December after years of being in the audience and I never saw a happier kid.

1 Like

Thank you! This is the simplest, most adaptable dish ever, and it has so much Latin flavor to it.
Saute onions, garlic, sear chicken, add any or combo of: smoked paprika, cayenne, cumin, chipotle powder, s&p, bay leaf, oregano, canned or fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce/paste, cilantro, sweet and/or hot peppers, carrots, potatoes, corn on the cob sections, green beans, etc. anything works. add to chicken, add chicken stock/water to cover half way, come to a gentle boil, then simmer on low for an hour. when cool enough, shred chicken into liquid, remove bones. serve with rice, tortillas. that’s it!

3 Likes

those fries are killing me!

4 Likes

sorry, forgot to ask last night. i will tonight!

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

It was a week.
Had a couple of noticeably rough days.
The weekend came in the nick of time.

A simple, quick dinner.

Pan-seared chickie boobie cut in half lengthwise that was seasoned with s/p and dried thyme, caramelized shallots, and a pan sauce of white wine and red grapes tossed in for the last 5 minutes. Steamed green beans alongside.

You can be assured there was wine.
Restocking the supply tomorrow at Wegmans.

11 Likes

I’ve started a new thread for February here:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

My kit took 22 days just to reach this point. Lol…but they tell me to be patient as the shrooms will dbl every few days. It just bloomed haphazard.

5 Likes

Whoa. They look happy enough but I would totally email the company with this feedback. You saw how big mine were and I definitely had mushrooms in a bit over a week. Nearly nothing on my second try but I blame myself as I forgot to water it several times. I would expect way more mushrooms than what you got. Hope they send you a new kit!

2 Likes

Good idea.

1 Like

From the photo, looks a bit dry to me the “soil”. Mushroom likes humidity. Mine grew on the whole surface, I think 22 days seems a bit long.

I watered daily, Even tented for humidity which contributed to what has bloomed. It was plenty moist. 22 days is dbl what the instructions say but I was happy to wait as long as something happened. The original soak was 24 hours also. Just a dud. I’m sure it happens.

3 Likes

I had grown a box like that too. I remember with more mushrooms, more like @gracieggg 's . I grew in late spring, and outdoor with no direct sun.

The photo you’ve shown, I’ll expect this to be the second or the third growth. Maybe try your luck to see they’re willing to send you another box.

1 Like

@TheLibrarian - hi, i’m sorry i didn’t get back to you right away, and now the BF has basically forgotten. but i know it was probably much like he makes potato leek soup - cooks the potatoes in broth until they break down of their own accord, and then he probably added the beans (after soaking overnight) and the kale. sorry i can’t be more specific!

A replacement kit is being shipped after sending this photo to customer srvc.

3 Likes

moved to Feb

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020