What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Steak night!

Was flying solo tonight, so that meant a nice slab of red meat

13 Likes

When I do look at recipes it is as mentioned, a guide to the basic components and methods

3 Likes

Spot on .

@Scubadoo97 and @emglow101 Amen, bros. Red lights are mandates. Recipes are suggestions.

4 Likes

Except maybe in baking. Even there I play, though.

5 Likes

I’m back. Was sick as hell on most of our trip to NOLA AND the whole week after. :sob::sob: my trip report is here, if anyone is interested. so sad - need to go back! :cry:

Since then I’ve eaten mostly eggs and toast every day, snacked on some muffuletta we brought home, BF made meatloaf one day and I had a sliver of that, a tiny meatloaf sandwich the next day. Though i did rally and make some nice, super tender, wagyu style steak tips for the BF and I last night. But tonight was a mexi-mart Salvadorean tamale. Just not at full speed yet, but I’ll get there. Need to catch up with all your food! Happy (late) New Year, everyone!

11 Likes

Get well . Being sick sucks so much.

3 Likes

thank you. it SO does!

1 Like

You are correct and it’s the reason I don’t bake.

Using a reference of my early college chemistry experience I equate baking to qualitative analysis and cooking to organic chemistry. In organic you mix this and this and get that. In qualitative analysis you have to weigh everything on a scale enclosed in a glass chamber. Even a speck of dust can throw off your results.

I rarely measure anything and just eye what looks right, so I bake rarely except maybe to make corn bread. Gotta love corn bread :yum:

4 Likes

What a food journal! You were a trooper given your meal stops while ill. Determined to walk the walk. Always delicious looking photos.

3 Likes

Oh no, sick on a trip is the worst! Sorry to hear and hopefully you are done with that for 2020.

1 Like

I liked organic chem and hated quantitative analysis

I guess it shows. I’m no baker

You know where you can play and where you can’t.

2 Likes

Made a cauldron of green split pea soup last night - a lb of split peas, sauted a large onion and some chopped garlic in butter, added finely minced carrots and celery with their leaves. Added the peas, 2 cartons of chicken broth, a bay leaf and fresh thyme. Have found a Boar’s Head kielbasa that’s not smoked, so diced 1/2 piece of that into the pot. Cooked a few hours and had it with cornbread. It’s WFD tonight, as well. Then we’ll freeze the rest!

9 Likes

I made stir-fried Chinese pork and cabbage combining these two recipes:

I used home-ground pork, added scallion and ginger, and omitted the mushrooms. Served over steamed rice. We added chili oil and Sichuan peppercorn to individual plates.

Yummy and pretty easy.

13 Likes

Bingo! There is a rule in style that applies to cooking and probably much of life. “You have to know the rules before you begin to break them.”

3 Likes

I have so much sauce leftover (probably 4-5 cups). Any ideas on how to repurpose it? It’s basically an oniony chicken gravy with a hint of tang, garlic, and sweetness
Braising liquid for white/lima beans and sausage? Toss with sour cream into hot egg noodles?

Open faced hot turkey sandwwich

2 Likes

Not a good day. Rough start, and took awhile to focus.

So a simple dinner…Chicken Mushroom Marsala (sort of), rice and green beans.

14 Likes

Looks very good. I hope tomorrow is a better day. :heart:

3 Likes