What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Wowza.

2 Likes

Corn Chowder

Last of the farm fresh corn here in SoCal. Simple recipe of corn stock, puréed & whole white corn kernels, salt, white pepper, couple pads of butter, heavy cream, sprinkled w/red pepper & lightly smoked maldon salt. There are sooo many recipes for corn soup & chowder online, but none of them completely appealed to me. Usually people get fancy and add foreign stuff (avocado?). I wanted something simple, so I mostly winged it. It was pretty tasty. But I’d appreciate any tips (purée all or half the kernels, before or after cooking, strain or no strain, etc?).

Gotta’ Have Buttered Toast

Ralph’s Fried Chicken

When my husband’s favorite fry cook is working he’s buyin’.

16 Likes

I have GOT to get me some of those!

That was amazing!

Due to hunger, fatigue and simply forgetting, no pics of dinner last night. But it was good! Homemade Bolognese sauce from the freezer, over linguine, with a nice crisp little salad on the side. Very satisfying after 12 days of resto food, basically.

9 Likes

Wow! Is this a complaint?! :yum:
Welcome back home!

2 Likes

Lol! I was going to add that it was a very good problem to have. :upside_down_face: But it was great to have some comforting home cooking without really cooking since the sauce came from the freezer. :+1: And thanks for the welcome back @naf.

2 Likes

I’m tired just looking at this. I’m so impressed. Call me if you ever need another eater at your table!

2 Likes

Agreed! I’m hoping she’ll become my Indian cooking mentor @gracieggg!

3 Likes

I can relate!

1 Like

Thanks to you, I finally know what these fruits are! A friend introduced us to them years ago in Ecuador, where she called them limones. Limon in the singular.

Since then, I have only rarely encountered the fruit growing on trees in warm places such as Puerto Rico.

From your post and Google, now I know that these are formally “citrus limetta.” Your sharing has solved a culinary mystery of many years for me.

Hmmm, I wonder if I might run across mosambi in an Indian market?

3 Likes

Intriguing fruits indeed - would love to taste one! I’m wondering if they would do well inside during the winter and still fruit. Have considered getting a kaffir lime tree for inside. It can be difficult to find them in the Asian markets here; evidently they’re under a ban fairly frequently. :melon::leaves:

1 Like

You would have been very welcome!

1 Like

We have a lot of market access to these but I’ve never known what to do with them. Info or ideas?

1 Like

My mexican friend told me she calls them sweet limes as well.

I’ve only seen them once in nyc, at Whole Foods a few years ago. But they should be more prevalent in CA. I haven’t seen them in indian markets on the east coast, fwiw.

If they taste good when I cut in, I have to convince the fam to start mailing them to me :joy: They have an abundance of citrus trees and fruit - no oranges yet, but everything else.

3 Likes

i don’t know where you are located, but in the NorCal Bay Area, they are all over Asian and Latino markets at this time of year.

2 Likes

We eat them like oranges - peeled into segments (harder) or cut into wedges (easier) like at chinese restaurants. My dad likes a pinch each of salt and pepper or red chilli on the side.

Also amazing juiced - by itself, or mixed with
orange.

But always eaten at home and juice outside

2 Likes

Ditto on the Wowza @Saregama. Nice!

1 Like

Thanks @pilgrim! I’m in Massachusetts and I could check out Asian markets within a short drive.

Now I am curious to learn if these citrus fruits (mosambi aka limon dulce) have been accessible to me all along.

@Saregama Thank you! I bought some years ago and didn’t like or perhaps understand them. DH bought one at the market last weekend and it sits in our fruit bowl at the moment. Will go check it out! Again, many thanks for this proper introduction to this interesting fruit.

They can be bland or sour when they’re not ready. But when they are, they are sweet with just a hint of tart and very slight bitter.

3 Likes