What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Big fan of the menu the birthday girl picked! Happy birthday to her! What a beautiful meal.

5 Likes

Last dinner in the country. Son and granddaughter went on a joy-ride and brought back 2 rib-eyes from a small town market. $10.99 a pound, great flavor and tender as love, much better than I’ve been sourcing in town at twice the price. Cooked indoors on grill pan. Hash browns, roasted carrots, green salad. Ersatz chocolate cake from a mix, a la mode with vanilla ice cream.

13 Likes

Man, I can only hope that my spring onion will have a smidge if the great taste your daughter has. Cheers to her!

8 Likes

Ok - yeah, i’ve purchased oysters from them before - they’re good! clams too… and uni! they get it fresh i think daily? I get all my fresh seafood there, actually, but it doesn’t happen often since the BF doesn’t like it. :sob:

rent out my driveway? for what?
I live in an apartment complex so I don’t have a driveway. I know that business set up “parklets” (little seating areas on the sidewalk) in front of their storefronts but I only know of one homeowner that has rented out space in front of their house to make a little garden-type thing, featuring Trixie the Triceratop! It’s in the Mission, on Valencia:

more info here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/deeplet/about/?ref=page_internal

4 Likes

Yep, I think mayo is pretty much the key to everything. :blush: Looks delicious.

3 Likes

Can I adopt her?

3 Likes

Sounds like a resounding success. Brava(o?)!

2 Likes

I sauteed seasoned chicken breast chunks with minced shallot in butter, deglazed with white wine, added a packet of mushroom spätzle mix and cooked for 4 min in the IP, let sit at pressure 3 more, then released and added tendercrisp asparagus bits and stirred in sour cream. Hit the spot (and really pretty decent considering I nearly made frozen pizza). Peas with honey, butter, and Worcestershire sauce alongside.

Daylight Savings sucks for dinner photography.

16 Likes

we’re actually out of DST now, but I know what you mean. Your pics always look great, whereas I have no natural light near our table, all year long. :sob:

1 Like

I bought a beautiful side of Faroe islands salmon at Restaurant depot the other day and trimmed/ cut filets out of it this morning. The belly piece was my treat for dinner tonight! Cheesy mashed cauliflower, roasted cherry tomatoes and spicy green beans alongside. Yum!

15 Likes

I wondered that as I typed it :joy:

1 Like

Looks delish!

it’s always so confusing!

beautiful! how do you get your cauli SO creamy??

2 Likes

I have been buying frozen riced cauliflower from Costco lately, which I find ends up much drier when cooked than fresh or even frozen florets (I typically just nuke it until tender, which takes just a few mins since the riced bits are so small). Then I put it in the Vitamix with cheese and a little sour cream (but no liquid at all) and let it rip. I have to use the plunger to get it going but eventually it comes together - keeping liquid out of the equation is what makes it so creamy in my experience. When I have added liquid, the Vitamix can still get it smooth but it gets a bit soupy and doesn’t have the rich texture.

5 Likes

BF heated up some of the leftover Italian pork roast and made mashed potatoes with (unbeknownst to him) goat milk butter (circa don’t ask) - delish! and sauteed zucchini.

15 Likes

Homemade indian spread tonight for the farewell before I head home.

Shrimp with peas and vegetarian variations - aloo matar (potatoes) and paneer matar, kala masoor (whole brown lentils), sweet dal for the kids, chowli (long beans), bhindi (okra), shrikhand (saffron and cardamom hung curd/yogurt), parathas, and rice. Phew. I’m tired.

Pics when I eat later.

14 Likes

I boil up fresh cauliflower florets with a bit of onion, cook until fork tender, drain, leaving a bit of liquid, then use an immersion blender, adding some cream and butter. Smooth and velvety.

5 Likes

19 Likes

hmmm i’ve done that before… never looked like that!