What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

wolfie’IMG_0599

s picture did not show.

8 Likes

He is naughty getting on the table!
My pets are not acrobats. Wolfie can only jump on to the sofa but not Luna
They occupy a chair on the kitchen table and also when guests are here, they have their own chairs but never touch anything on the tables! They can salivate but that is al!!

1 Like

Still think a cat first, if not, then gratefully one of your beloved poms, not only for your devotion, but your fabulous food too! Love the pics! Totally love animals!

1 Like

@emglow101, was your beautiful looking elk hunted in the wild or commercially raised? Looks like you cooked it to perfection! I too love the taste of game. I have a great marinade recipe that I used on a venison roast a few years ago - it was sublime. I had rack of elk at a restaurant in May,that was commercially raised in Oregon, and did have a slight taste of game; it was served along with a fabulous sauce over farro risotto. As far as I know, haven’t had mutton, but would probably like it, despite horror stories to the contrary.

1 Like

My poms stayed with me in the garden for hours when my foot got caught between stacks of left over granite a couple fo years ago. Every time I tried to move, the granite moves and gets closer to my. ankle, so I just stayed there for hours, hoping my son who was in town would return home and find me missing at my home. If he had gone straight to his bedroom, I would not be rescued till 10:00-11:00 Am. My poms would not leave me, they barked and barked for hours. Finally, my neighbor who is away weekday until weekend as she is an SDA heard them barking, called another neighbor, a policeman and at the same time, another widow across the inlet from our property heard and they both came and moved the granite to relieve my pain. Of course my son did not return till midnite. I would say I was there for at least 3 Horus! At least it was not raining nor winter so I survived… I have them to thank for that. I never bring my cell hone when I work I the garden as I lost them too often. I also have a medic alert but never use it. That is why I think they are so precious!

7 Likes

They sound like wonderfully, loyal and well behaved dogs, not to mention excellent companions for you. I’m glad they have such a loving home and eat so well. Very lucky doggies, as I’m sure you’re giving them the best life possible! :dog::dog::paw_prints:

Also, very happy you survived a mishap, that could have turned serious, thanks to Wolfie and Luna!

3 Likes

Our chef friend invited us and some other old friends over for dinner last night. We haven’t seen him and the other friends in over 8 years. It was great catching up with everyone. He used to own a restaurant that I frequently visited in Nutley, NJ many years ago. This was sort of a reunion of regular customers and workers. He made a turducken that was very good. It was my first time having a turducken. He also had BBQ pulled pork, meatballs, skewers of sausage and peppers, truffled mac and cheese, and stuffing, among other things. There was plenty of wine. I was only able to get a couple of crappy pictures, since we were too busy socializing.

13 Likes

Turduckens are tasty, but not pretty when sliced - they fall apart… We had one for a New Year’s Eve party many years ago - it was the star of the show!

1 Like

Have never had it, the Italian deli always carry them. May have to try if there is no pork one of these days

Friend of ours is a great hunter.
He goes to Colorado to hunt elk every year.
Once, he gave us some elk sausages ( he bought it from the guy who dressed the elk for him)
It was so delicious, I started to buy elk meat from that guy, even bought all the spices for smoked elk sausage, but unfortunately, found out I had alpha gal so all the spices are still in the shelf!

1 Like

The elk was hunted in the wild

Wish I had a hunter or fisherman in my life! My bro used to commercially fish out of Kodiak, Alaska, so I used to get wet locks of different types of salmon, halibut and black cod. Plus home smoked and canned kippered salmon, which was great. Used to buy fresh, flash frozen King Crab right off the docks too, when we lived in Alaska. Had caribou as well as reindeer, moose and sausages made of same. I miss those days.

3 Likes

It was very moist and tasty.

We have a funny story about Turduckens:

DD#2 went to the dark side, becoming a Vegan about 12 or 13 years ago. Of course, she was invited to our Thanksgiving fest the year of her “conversion”. To accommodate her new dietary restrictions, dear old Dad had to go shopping for a Main Dish specifically for her and a companion she roped into dining with us. 50 miles of scattered shopping stops later, I spotted a Turducken–Vegan version, at a Whole Foods. Appalled at the price, I still bought it.

Fast forward to the Thanksgiving meal, we presented the faux Turducken to DD#2. She dove into it with relish…

After just a few bites, she commented: “This is awful!”

I don’t remember what she ate that night because everything else we prepared was chock full of meat and dairy. DD#2 remains a Vegan to this day.

6 Likes

Oh my …

It is still fairly odd here in Spain amongst Spaniards.

I would of prepared a variety of vegetables and mushrooms grilled in oven … with lovely aubergine or courgette.

Maybe a Hummus to start and a Baba gha nuj … And a wonderful bok Choi grilled …

2 Likes

TJ was sampling their vegan “turkey” breast with stuffing a few weeks ago, and I was surprised by how edible it was - it mostly tasted of stuffing seasonings, which is what my plate of turkey tastes like after I’ve piled the other things on :joy:

I think vegetarian and vegan food in America has come a long way…

3 Likes

A day off from “stuff” (until late afternoon when “stuff” cropped up). Errands that desperately needed to be done 5 days ago were done, then I went all in on the prep of my personal Thanksgiving dinner.

A turkey breast with a minced rosemary/thyme/orange zest butter tucked under the skin and schmeared on top (as best I could) was roasted.

While it did, I made a quick cranberry-orange relish, pre-made the maple-ginger mashed sweet potatoes and sour cream mashed potatoes, Mom’s Tzimmes (glazed carrots), and I steamed the green beans while the turkey breast rested and the almonds toasted. Also made a roasting pan gravy.

A quick apple pie was actually made first. It’s a “shy pie”, as Grandma used to call a pie that wasn’t mounded with tons of apple slices…I did what I could with 6 apples. It still looks pretty good, even with the store-bought Pillsbury pie crust.

There was wine. Most definitely.

And a gratuitous pic of the boyz having a Saturday afternoon catnap and being interrupted for a picture.

22 Likes

:heart:

3 Likes

Leftover night tonight: mashed potatoes turned into potato pancakes with scallion, and a turkey sandwich with sausage stuffing, cranberry sauce, and a dab of mayo.

14 Likes

All looks wonderful @LindaWhit and your pastry looks amazing! The fur babies look full and tired. They’re adorable.

3 Likes