What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Cube steak? That would be me, but only very occasionally, and wait for it…as chicken fried steak with cream gravy. Sooooooo bad, akin to a Popeye’s chicken splurge.

5 Likes

Yes, definitely delicious.

Didn’t mean to look down on you there – used as chicken fried steak actually makes sense. Besides, you’re talking to someone who occasionally eats those Jack in The Box fake tacos.

1 Like

Have 2 in the fridge as we “speak”. Deciding whether to go chicken fried for dinner or flash fried for a breakfast. Both excellent “country food”.

2 Likes

Me too on the tacos :scream_cat: No personal offense taken @celeryvictor.

True that @pilgrim! We’ve actually found we like pork cube steak better than beef, much leaner, but I wouldn’t turn down beef any day. Used to have the coolest grocery store in town that had the best marked down meat section ever. Cube steaks, ground veal, ground lamb, my fav brand of Italian sausage, usually at only 1-2 dollars/pkg. Would always use it or freeze it the same day. Store is gone now, and grocery shopping isn’t the fulfilling treasure hunt it used to be. :cry:

We stop at a village super on the way to the country which has a similar section of meat and dairy with close sell by dates. Since both meat and dairy will be consumed within a couple of days, I’m game. I get back in the car and dh asks, “Did you buy used meat again?”

4 Likes

Those gingersnaps are GOOD!

Yum. Can’t remember the last time I had matzoh balls… oh wait yes I do, 6 years ago, before my college roommate lost her mother, who gave me my taste for the dish. I haven’t had the heart to order one out since, but maybe making them at home…

Glad you’re okay, and yay to that vacation!

Much as I’m looking forward to thanksgiving, a solo weekend on a beach somewhere sounds really appealing.

1 Like

I never would’ve thought to useevaporated milk- thanks for the idea!

We make them all the time. I have a boy who loves anything resembling a ravioli or dumpling of any kind. I have matzoh meal in the pantry. And whenever my bone bag fills up, broth I make!

2 Likes

I made Gyros with tzatziki, tomatoes, feta, and hot sauce. Fennel slaw with orange vinaigrette on the side.

13 Likes

It’s been nuts! Will do- I’ve done a bit of lurking there, too. Living in Belmar, working in Shrewsbury. So stoked to check out all the vegetarian/vegan choices up here!

1 Like

Amen. Thanks!

Nice!!! I bet I could manage that. Maybe for Christmas, since thanksgiving is being outsourced this year.

Your own gyro meat or prefab? It looks delightfully crunchy!

TJ’s - broiled on both sides

Yay or nay?

I had to give my aunt the whole container to work; didn’t trust myself to have them in the house until I mustered up the energy for cheesecake making. So serious!

1 Like