What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Set out to make spaghetti with Italian Sausage links…

Red gravy and sausage making magic in the Slo Cooker, and…

No spaghetti! DW commented: “Just boil up some egg noodles. No one here to complain.” So I did.

15 Likes

Club steak marinated in my BF’s unbelievably delicious garlic, ginger, red curry, fish sauce, and soy sauce rub. With basmati rice and not pictured, appetizers of spring rolls and dumplings done in the air fryer.

14 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

One of those charcuterie nights.

ETA
Hey; that’s a Christmas plate! How timely! One month a year, but I use it daily!

13 Likes

Yours looks nice. Do you like the “new” version of Dan Dan Mian better? I have just looked at the recipes in Dunlop’s original Sichuan Cookery book, the standard recipe looks fine.

From what I remember the few times eating this in Chengdu and once in Lhasa it’s slightly different every time, taste-wise. There’s no hard and fast rule. Every cook has their own touch and I think it’s great, otherwise it gets boring fast. Also, I don’t remember any peanut butter taste. Some cooks do top the sauce with a few peanuts but no peanut paste in the sauce. The main ingredients remained the same but somehow it was slightly different at each place I ate it.

In Sichuan you can even buy ready to eat packages of sauce for Dan Dan Mian.

1 Like

Son is leaving tomorrow for Europe, returning February 2020.
So, his friends wanted to come by this past Sunday . They requested paella. COLD but we had our outdoor fireplace, as well as the fire pit going to cook the seafood paella as well as kept everyone warm. Pictures taken by guests were dark as it gets dark early nowadays. Best paella bec the socarrat was really nice and crisp. 5 cups of bomba rice, 15 cups of saffron enhanced broth ( shrimp , fish and chicken) plus a bottle of Pino Grigio. Seafood were baby calamari , Patagonia shrimp and mussels. The soffrito was precooked indoor as well as the seafood ( each cooked separately until almost cooked, with Pinot Grigio and chipotle adobo sauce and anchovy) but the bomba rice was cooked outdoor on my 37 inch emperor fire pit using a pata Negra ( special thickness commercial grade) that is just about 37 inches brought here from Barcelona with a custom made tripod under to lift the pan 3 inches up so as to control the fire ( spritzing with water or adding wood) . Soffrito ( caramelized onion, garlic, anchovy, carrots, celery, bell pepper with Evoo and Spanish paprika and of course duck sausage from maple farm bec of my allergy now to red meat was added to the pan, then rice with EVoo until rice was well coated and translucent, with addition of warm broth as needed slowly. When the rice was almost cooked , the precooked seafood were added. The thin paella made the caramelized layer of crunchy rice that forms on the bottom of the pan really good. Most people load their paella with too much meat etc. The trick is to use a large enough pan so that the rice is thin enough for the bottom to crisp and not be soggy … Picture dark but shows cooking the rice after soffrito was added. Eating outdoor in the dark with my 84 year old friend, Unbelievable, she was dancing to techno music earlier as we had 2 DJs.

Lots of left over but guests all had doggy bag IMG_6279

26 Likes

Stunning!

2 Likes

Thanks. My Paella is not typical of what is cooked over in Spain because both my son and I as well as his friends like our food spicy. So, I add chipotle and adobo sauce to my soffrito as well as to the seafoods . Well, Will says it is not typical paella as he lived in Spain for many months /year for about 10 years but he likes his food spicy. It is also a way for everyone to gather around and help with cooking while others dance to the techno beat despite the cold weather, enjoying our beautiful sunset here.

4 Likes

That’s a stunner!!

1 Like

Beautiful. Looks perfect, in every way

What a view!

1 Like

Simple late meal. Wasn’t supposed to be cooking these since I went to do marketing. The mister had to work late again - only got to know about it after 5.30pm, so it’s just my dinner.

Butter salmon rice and mushroom tofu miso soup.

9 Likes

Here is a favorite recipe of mine using cream cheese and EVAPORATED milk. Not regular milk as the evaporated milk as you well know is milk with 60% of liquid extracted. It turns out creamy and not runny… You can substitute TJ’s gingersnap for the crust. Hope this works for you.

Woo hoooooo! You’ve been crazy-busy, but glad you’re getting a getaway vacay - enjoy!

1 Like

Many congratulations to her and her new spouse! Your “easy dinner” looks amazing!

2 Likes

Sometimes just chatting with strangers over food (whether in person or on the Internet) can make things a wee bit better. Hope your neck injury heals quickly, Cal!

Very lucky guests! Beautiful paella and gorgeous view!

1 Like

Whoa. Lots of change! Come visit us on the NJ board when you get settled. We are a moderately friendly bunch!

It’s been awhile since I’ve used the original recipe so memory is hazy, but yeah I like this one better. There’s only a little bit of sesame paste per bowl (1 tsp) which adds a nice flavor. The sweet flour sauce adds a little bit of sticky savoriness to the pork as well.

1 Like

This is your “easy” dinner? Lucky family! …and of course Congratulations to you and yours.

1 Like

That looks absolutely beautiful. I misread your post, and first thought you wrote “cube steak”, and thought to myself “that doesn’t look like any cube steak I’ve ever seen, and besides, who eats those things anymore anyway!”

2 Likes