What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Thank you, and thank Kenji!
I should have said “Buffalo wings”.
Really Good Oven-Fried Buffalo Wings Recipe

1 Like

Thanks to you both!

that cabbage/fennel looks dreamy!

That looks like a great soup for Thanksgiving

We don’t have a soup tradition, but yes!

I meant for me :slight_smile:

Yesterday it was split pea soup and homemade foccacia. I love the days when I’m home and can cook for the fam.

3 Likes

Sounds wonderful @Sasha, and so perfect and satisfying this time of year.

Poor DH had to have a dental scaling procedure today so he requires something he doesn’t have to chew. Cauliflower mash to the rescue! I’ll probably just nibble some charcuterie myself and return to my regularly scheduled cooking activities tomorrow!

4 Likes

I made Shrimp Scampi pasta with fennel from Dinner in an Instant. I added a leek and half a shallot and it turned out well.

18 Likes

I know :wink:

Here’s the recipe if you want to give it a look.

Yesterday I used TJ’s seasonal fried onions (which I guess was thanksgiving-y of me :joy:) instead of making my own fried shallots. Plus their chilli onion crunch instead of making the chili oil.

3 Likes

Yum!

I just borrowed that book from the library!

1 Like

Green beans with shallot and mustard vinaigrette

Spaghetti with seared prawns in homemade buttery tomato sauce

16 Likes

From the back of the freezer, DW’s Chicken & Rice Casserole. Perfect for a cold, gray evening.

14 Likes

I hope you like it! The recipes have actually turned out better than they sound on the page. For last night’s dish, I did change things up a little bit. She has you “saute” in a mixture of garlic butter, oil, and white wine. Instead I seared to the shrimp with the fat and automatics, removed them, then deglazed with the white wine. Otherwise, I thought they’d just steam and absorb too much wine flavor.

1 Like

Homemade New England style clam chowder - turned out excellent, maybe best I’ve ever made. Garlic bread to go with, and butterscotch caramel topped pie. From the recipe for butterscotch pudding @Rooster posted yesterday in the 3 favorite desserts thread. Will post pics of the pie in that thread. Pudding was amazing.

5 Likes

Happy to hear!
Nice finish to another inspiring meal :yum:.

Thanks again for taking the time to post that. Kind of surprising that it had no egg yolks, but very tasty. The brown sugar bourbon worked well. Think it will be going into the permanent recipe file. It was dead easy too.

2 Likes

I was looking for a pudding without eggs because I was not confident that I wouldn’t ruin the tempering. This version was creamy and rich enough that egg yolks aren’t missed. Your experience with the results further confirms I will enjoy this recipe whenever the itch for butterscotch needs scratching. Homemade pudding is a comfort food!

I know this is a “WFD” thread, but this is what’s for breakfast.
IMG_0224%20-%20Copy%20(3)

6 Likes