What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Leftover night tonight: mashed potatoes turned into potato pancakes with scallion, and a turkey sandwich with sausage stuffing, cranberry sauce, and a dab of mayo.

14 Likes

All looks wonderful @LindaWhit and your pastry looks amazing! The fur babies look full and tired. They’re adorable.

3 Likes

I just edited to add “It still looks pretty good, even with the store-bought Pillsbury pie crust.” :blush: Forgot that earlier. I couldn’t be arsed (as @Harters always says) to make a pie crust. Plus I didn’t start prep until about 2:30, so no time either. But it tastes good!

4 Likes

@LindaWhit That’s a GORGEOUS pie! I adore Pillsbury crusts. I used to be known for my pie crust. Now I’m known for turning out a pie on short order. Well worth the trade off.

4 Likes

Empty larder. No kidding.
Smoked sausage (freezer dive), curried braised celery, caramelized apples

Walnut bread

12 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Technique in Westwood, NJ. Details and pictures are in the link below for anyone that is interested.

3 Likes

That’s nice and balanced meal.

Is the pillow the border of your half of the couch? “Mine” is dictator!

Cat-sorry-couch-is-full

5 Likes

Continuing in my submissions of Beige Foods, here is a photo of our hot Turkey Sandwich plates from last night:

14 Likes

Oooh yum.

1 Like

Last night the FIL grilled burgers, served on buttered, toasted buns with spicy roasted cauliflower. The night before we had a crock pot beef roast with leftover Thanksgiving sides and bacon-braised green beans.
Tonight his famous prime rib is promised.

8 Likes

I hope so. Lol
Marie’s Tofu Turkey came to mind.

1 Like

nothing wrong with pillsbury pie crust! I am too lazy and off course never learned to make pie crust except when Bill was around( DH) as he had gluten enteropathy! So, my crust were usually nut crust and nowadays for special occasion otherwise it is store bought crust including pillsbury and that wonderful flaky puff pastry shell!!
at the end, all that matters is it taste good and looks good!

1 Like

That’s actually a pull out bed in my 2nd BR, and usually the pillows are appropriately placed. But when kitty butts get up there, they get scrunched over to one side.

1 Like

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. Honoring those we love with food is such a good way to keep them in our lives. Wishing peace and comfort to you and your family- you will all be in my thoughts,

2 Likes

Agree with @LindaWhit, @pilgrim and @ccj about the quality of Pillsbury crusts; I used to use them all the time, and even just a few years ago when H made the pastry and had a big fail, we had to make an ER store run for them. Really excellent product!

1 Like

A traditional dinner at my parents up on the Northern Empordà, on the Cape of Cadquès, Giorna.

16 Likes

That looks divine!

3 Likes

Oh, thanks so much, HungryAllTheTime. Sorry for the delayed response…we were away for the holiday. I’ll give these a try soon. I also have the 6-quart, so I’ll cut them in half.

2 Likes

Lovely bread!

This weekend I made my first puff pastry - pâte feuilletée inversée. A failure, I used husband’s 00 Italian pizza flour, the butter I used wasn’t right too, not dry enough, I believe. I did a test batch, it tasted more like bread soaked with melted butter apart than something light and puffy. I still tried to understand what was wrong! Ugh! :smile:

3 Likes

Don’t give up @naf, it’s very gratifying when you nail it. A for effort, in any case.

2 Likes