What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

I just bought Mrs. P a beautiful turquoise cuff for being such a saint and putting up with me :relaxed:
turquoise%20cuff

13 Likes

WOW!
Mrs. P deserves it!
I bet she looks smashing with beautiful turquoise cuff!

3 Likes

She certainly does deserve it. We just ordered it. It should arrive tomorrow. She plans on wearing it with another beautiful long cuff that has the similar 24 karat gold plating.

3 Likes

send me a picture!!!

1 Like

Love your quest(s) for the ideal version of X.

1 Like

I made unstuffed zucchini bake with Lebanese and Turkish flavors. I can’t say it was really less work, since I roasted the zucchini planks first, but it was less fiddly. Quite tasty, too. I’d make it again.

16 Likes

Sounds delicious…even parm’d in a sandwich!

1 Like

Yep, although the rice might be weird with that :crazy_face:

I couldn’t resist topping with provolone cheese before baking.

Taco!:wink:

omg scrumptious! now i want turkey, and we’re not having turkey! maybe i’ll pick up a thigh or a leg on sale after Thurs…

1 Like

Recipe? Please!

I know Mom would be happy to know I had cooked as therapy after the last week. I’ve missed cooking so much and she would not want me to forego my love of preparing and enjoying my dinner.

I decided on Beef Stroganoff on the way home today. Served on egg noodles with steamed asparagus alongside.

Need you even ask if there was wine after the last 5 days, EVEN on a Monday night? I think not.

Oh, and there will be ice cream after dinner. Because…fuckit. I need it. I deserve it.

An early sleep, and then forward into the fray tomorrow to plow through what to me and my sister is a foreign land of managing life without Mom. We shall survive with each other’s support.

Here’s to you Mom. :wine_glass:

26 Likes

sending so much love, so, so sorry for your loss. You are your sister are very, very good daughters.

Enjoy your wine. xoxo

6 Likes

There’s nothing to add except to echo how lucky she was to have such devoted daughters and you very, very much should pamper yourself - that would have pleased her. So sorry for your immense loss, Linda. :broken_heart:

6 Likes

Here’s one, ish…

3 lg. Zucchini cut into planks

Olive oil

Za’atar

S&P

Badia Adobo

Drizzle the zucchini with oil, season with spices, and roast at 475F in two batches. Reduce oven heat to 350F. Spray a 13x9" pan with OO and cover the bottom with half the roasted zucchini.

Meat mix:

1/3 c. Water

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1 small onion, peeled and quartered

Handful parsley

1 lb. Ground beef

2/3 c. Water

3-4 Tbsp. Tomato paste

3/4 c. Jasmine rice

Badia Adobo

Urfa pepper

S&P

Chop the garlic, onion, and parsley in a mini chopper with 1/2 c water. In a large bowl mix the onion mixture with the remaining ingredients. Spread the meat mixture evenly over the zucchini.

Sauce:

1 lg can crushed tomatoes

1 tbsp minced dried onion

1 tbsp paprika

1 tsp allspice

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1tsp dried mint, crushed

1 tsp salt

1 tsp Turbinado sugar

1 Tbsp butter

Mix all ingredients together and heat through in the microwave.

Spread ~2c sauce over the meat mixture. Top with remaining zucchini. Add a thin layer of sauce over top - you should have about 2 c. leftover. Top the casserole with 3 slices provolone cheese broken up and bake uncovered for 45-50 min or until bubbly. Let rest to firm up before serving.

Hoping I didn’t forget anything. Spice measurements are def approximate.

2 Likes

Oh @LindaWhit, I can’t begin to tell you how very sorry I am to hear of your loss. Hoping you and your sis will take very good care of yourselves and each other. :broken_heart::revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

Omg shrink, that looks like sheer perfection!

1 Like

Oh, Linda! Maybe I missed something. I’m so sorry.
I had a dream about my mother the other night, and I haven’t for a long time. Husband says it might be because of Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. I have a glass of wine in hand and here’s to your Mom and my Mom, who passed away too young, and to great meals whose smells and tastes will forever remind us of our beloved mothers.

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like