What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Is the fish a grouper?
We love this fish from the Asian store. Cannot find it in local grocery store.
He likes fish fillet pan fried with either egg, starch and Panko, served with hot sauce or fried with Korean sea food mix served with FF ( fish and chips) and malt vinegar.
However, grouper is one fish that he says just clean, butterflied and pan fry till skin is almost overcooked and crunchy!

It is White nile tilapia. Grilled. Nothing on it except S&P. Crispy skin and side of salad and fries - always with malt vinegar.

2 Likes

thanks. I only buy tilapia loin from Costco.
Well, if the skin is crispy, that is how we like our grouper.

1 Like

Went freezer diving earlier and found some pulled pork from a shoulder I smoked a couple of months ago, so that’s WFD, along with some shredded sauteed Brussels sprouts. Duck cracklings and a Portuguese red for appetizers!

12 Likes

@thwysg You’re never alone with Hungry Onion. I bet at any hour, you can find someone posting something.

6 Likes

We made our usual trip to our favorite Sichuan restaurant and ordered the PSTO food and had enough leftovers for 2 more dinners. Between Chengdu 1 Palace and Drew’s we have enough leftovers to take us to Thanksgiving. This gives Mrs. P some time to work on her Christmas decorations. Below is a link to the details and mouth watering food.

2 Likes

Finishing leftovers that built up because… too many meals out.

Chicken methi (fenugreek) curry, freshly sautéed cabbage, parathas, rice.

Last night was out at an izakaya. Day before was a mish mosh of idlis and coconut chutney from the freezer, plus green moong bean crepes (pesarattu) with yogurt and green chutney.

Now I gots to go start some thanksgiving baking.

14 Likes

that pasta is swoony!

1 Like

Brunch today with BF, we expanded our routine and shared a croque madame with our fries. :relaxed:

For dinner, made my first Pasta alla Norma. Yum! I’d use more eggplant next time (I used a whole big one but they do shrink so much). i used the Nigel Slater preserved tomatoes for the sauce, added chili flakes, and roasted the eggplant chunks in the oven, with a good amt. of olive oil, so they essentially fried . Ricotta salata sprinkled over the top. Leftover Calabrian sausage for the BF. Sauteed beet greens with garlic cuz we had 'em. Salad of arugula and toasted pine nuts, with lemon/shallot/dijon dressing.

Then I took the leftovers, layered with mozz and more ricotta salata, stuck them in a casserole, and into the oven. If it lasts that long that’ll be the BF’s Thanksgiving dinner while I’m at my sister’s helping with dogs.

Pasta%20alla%20Norma%20casserole

14 Likes

duck cracklings!! omfg marry me

3 Likes

Dinner tonight was at a small Italian joint in Matawan, NJ. Delicious, all of it! Accompanied by a bottle of Apothic Red and half a handle of Sutter Home white merlot that we were trying to kill off.

Homemade breadsticks with toasted garlic and seasoning on top

Buffalo Calamari. Perfectly crispy, right amount of sauce, just spicy enough

My Chicken Sorrentino: topped with thin sliced breaded eggplant, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, and a brown sauce over rigatoni

Mom’s rigatoni bolognese. I’m not usually a fan, but tried a little bit and thought it was good. Very creamy.

BF’s calzone with bacon and black olives. He loved it and I thought it was great and extremely well-made. Lots of bacon, burning hot inside, and gigantic! That’s only a small.

14 Likes

Taste testing sous vide turkey legs.

14 Likes

Cold and wet tonight.

Multigrain rice (not shown);
potatoes and bacon in butter; and
cod fish hot pot - carrots, leeks (all mine - the mister dislikes them), mizuna, shiitake and tofu.

Soup base is homemade kombu dashi (soaked for more than 5 hours). Cod fish sure is expensive here, $80/kg. :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

What a GREAT idea!

Wow, that is pricey. You have prepared a beautiful dish, though!

I’m from New England, where codfish was once legendarily plentiful and cheap. Atlantic cod has been overfished so now we’re much more likely to see haddock in place of cod in dishes that call for white fish.

4 Likes

That is more or less $25 (US) a pound! Are all fish the same price. Bass, Grouper, Haddock are pretty similar - are those as expensive?

S$80/kg is from one of the largest supermarket chains. If I went to the higher end ones, the fishes probably would cost even higher. Norwegian farmed salmon ranges from $30 to $40 per kg. King salmon from NZ would be $40 to $60 per kg. And some supermarkets priced the cuts differently. Fillets are usually more costly than steak cuts. I once bought a fillet of spanish mackerel (local fish known as batang) at $50/kg, even way more costly than what I get for a same cut from a Japanese supermarket.

Local wet markets would still be the cheapest to get the fishes - just that there’s a slight risk of the stall owners cheating the scales.

1 Like

Salmon prices at Whole Foods at times are similar here in the US (although usually not for the farmed salmon). I’ve never seen Cod that expensive. I do pay S$55-S$70 for lox though.

I’m not so sure about the other fishes except for chilean sea bass and grouper. These two are more commonly seen in higher end supermarkets, there’s a few others which the locals have easier access to - stingray, threadfin, sea bream, white and red snappers, other species of spanish mackerel, and last but not least, farmed Norwegian salmon.

3 Likes

I can get grouper much cheaper when on sale at Asian market, pan fried till crisp.
The most expensive fish is Chilean Sea Bass which is one of our favorites pan fried with Miso, ginger, sprig onions and a splash of rice wine and a small amount of mirin, just enough to counteract the saltiness of the miso.
The second would be halibut , which used to be a favorite for bouillabaisse. However, I no longer own a slow cooker so halibut is now coated with pesto, cooked in 2 layers of oil, on the grill until the foil is blackened but with the halibut skin crisp and crunchy, to be served with bit ore pesto as the pesto that it is cooked in has dissolved.

2 Likes