What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Fajitas are one of our weekly go-to’s. Sometimes chicken, sometimes shrimp (or both). Its an easy meal, though slightly time consuming in my quest for restaurant-quality fajitas. First I splash a little oil on the grill pan and grill the peppers. Then remove. Then I grill the onions. Then remove. Then I grill whole sliced chicken breasts seasoned with garlic powder, black pepper, and adobo. When they are done, I remove them and throw the peppers and onions back on while I slice the chicken. Add and combine, and I usually drizzle a little store-bought “Fajita Sauce” on the finished product to bring it all together. It is incredibly salty, so I use sparingly, if at all. Except for the sodium (and the ensuing chips and queso), its not a terribly unhealthy meal. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

image image image

Breakfast at Landwer Cafe

Lunch at Corianos

Dinner at home (garlic cauliflower)

15 Likes

Looks like you’re living well! Thanks for taking us along on the ride.

1 Like

Agreed! Just GETTING a hunk of tuna is a thing in some places.

1 Like

Pappardelle alla Bolognese.

17 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Drew’s. Details and pictures below for anyone that might he interested.

6 Likes

“What’s for dinner?” The answer to indifference in this house is chicken cutlets. This one done with a side of sauteed asparagus and portobello mushrooms and roasted potatoes.

14 Likes

That is most certainly NOT an indifferent dinner! Looks great!

2 Likes

Excellent and happy you can now move around and enjoy. your spectacular meals. I suppose Mrs. P is the driver and crutch!

I really like the looks of that pappardelle. Yours? Dry? (Brand?) Restaurant?

1 Like

Thank you @ccj! Luckily I am able to drive. I have been using a ComfiLife lumbar support back pillow with memory foam to support my back in the car, at restaurants, and at home. Mrs. P has mainly been doing the heavy lifting since I can’t really lift anything more than 10 or 15 pounds. She has been a real saint.

1 Like

That is GENIUS! I’m absolutely giving it a whirls thanks!

:+1:. My sons’ favorite meal is a chicken cutlet (aka schnitzel) with rice. They would prefer that over any 5 star restaurant meal. I am lucky not only to have kids like mine, but because I know how to make that meal with my eyes closed.
Sometimes, keeping it simple is the best… easy, comforting and delicious!

5 Likes

She sure is.
I had been very depressed lately bec I can hardly lift my wok when cooking.
So, in order to feel better, I used to buy hats ( They call me 'HAT LADY" at Hopkins. If I had my hair done and did not wear hat, patients and employees used to ask me “Where is your hat?”
So, this time, I shop and bought a strand of beautiful huge pearls .Now, I feel better although there is no place to go to wear those pearls. I went to HT the there day and wore them , turning heads . Perhaps you should award Mrs. P with a strand.
They say Diamonds are a girl’s best friend but now, I beg to differ.
My son is away but he told me his friends and their parents want to come Sunday and he suggest I make D’artagnan’s Duck Confit cassoulet. I just checked my. freezer, I still have 5 D’artagnan’s duck confit but I cannot use pancetta, so I would not can I get garlic sausage unless I travel to DV farmer’s market. Well, I wil just use Costco’s Organic cracked chicken sausage and add lots of garlic as well as turkey bacon. I also will defrost some of my spring rolls ( although I cannot eat that bec those were I was diagnosed with alpha gal Octo 2018 .

9 Likes

Tostadas for last night’s dinner, inspired by a recent post from @paryzer. Mine were a lazy lady version to make use of bits in the fridge and of purchased pulled brisket, spiced up with jarred adobo from Wegmans.

A sleeve of Maizada brand tostadas were the base. (For my pals in MA, you may be able to find Maizada tostadas on the Mexican food aisle in Market Basket.)

Though dinner was not so photogenic in my case, the leftover broken bits of corn tostada led to migas for breakfast this rainy morning. Much prettier.

Hatch chiles that I roasted and froze back in October, thanks to inspiration from @bear, went into the migas.

Thankful for everyone sharing their ideas and creativity on this board!

14 Likes

I like pappardelle but only use it when I make D’artagnan’s wild boar Italian ragout stew. I get my dry pappardelle from Nick’s ( Italian store).
Try this recipe as it is really tender but has not cooked that since my allergy . It is one of my son’s favorite
.https://www.dartagnan.com/wild-boar-ragout-recipe.html?fdid=wild-boar-recipes
You will not be disappointed if. you can get hold of D’artagnan’s wild boar as it is very tender , and delicious!

3 Likes

Nice! You’re making me hungry…dear onion :wink:.

1 Like

Went to 99 Asian Market (on the advice in another thread of passing_thru), and they had a pool of live fish. They caught one right in front of me, and cleaned it up. I grilled it today and that is WFD with a side of fries and a salad.

13 Likes

Thanks! I made it - used David Lebowitz’s recipe again:

3 Likes

Kudos to you!

2 Likes