What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Last night I repurposed some leftover gorgeous ribeye into steak fajitas. We had them on TJ’s handmade flour tortillas with a shmear of refried black beans, topped with cheddar, salsa verde and spicy guac.

Tonight i repurposed some halibut into spicy fish cakes make with a bit of potato, finely minced onion, jalapeno and cilantro. I coated with panko and spritzed with oil, then baked them, rather than pan fried them. Served with roasted broccoli and asparagus. Dipping sauce was doctored TJ’s tartar with more onion, garlic, cumin, lime, cayenne and cilantro.

My husband doesn’t love leftovers so reinventing things is a quickfire game I like to play. It’s so satisfying when I’m able to make good use of great quality leftovers in a new dish.

13 Likes

Nice. I like leftovers. A easy meal and no waste of food.

3 Likes

Love it! When there is a lot of leftovers in my house… I just make “stir fry”

1 Like

I love that game too! Usually when I’ve been away for my 4 days and come back, there are always dribs and drabs in the fridge. Not enough of anything to eat alone, mostly the leftovers from earlier in the week that they got sick of eating before the food was gone. So it’s a mental and cooking challenge to repurpose it in a way that seems new again. Much fun!

2 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Mrs. P made braised rabbit pappardelle topped with fresh shaved orange rind :yum:

21 Likes

Amazing combo. How are you feeling?

1 Like

Thanks! Still a little sore but slowly progressing.

4 Likes

Continued healing @paryzer.

3 Likes

Thank you @Rooster! I appreciate it.

Long long long long day. Took a half day off from work.

Pulled a tub of turkey chili from the freezer. Shaved manchego and a plop of sour cream on top, with some dried chives.

A glass of wine was had earlier in the afternoon with my sister.

15 Likes

Oven baked baking powder crispy “hot wings”

18 Likes

Tomato and mozz

Old fashioned scalloped potato and ham
photo%202

18 Likes

Those scalloped potatoes…:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I want that right now.

5 Likes

Gotta try the baking powder trick. Looks great

1 Like

You seem to love wine. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Those look fantastic! Any chance you’d share your recipe? Thanks.

1 Like

Soup weather… brrrr!

Made carrot coconut soup with lemongrass and ginger.

Also started bread last night - tried a new technique (tangzhong) for moisture retention, same no-knead recipe otherwise (Lahey).

Funny-looking loaf because I make half a recipe in a loaf pan for half vertical height so the top doesn’t burn in my little toaster oven. And I wanted a soft crust, like sandwich bread.

Crumb is nice and moist, but time will tell.

15 Likes

Mostly leftovers dinner. BF took my Vietnamese slashed chicken and made chicken fried rice, with a LOT of soy sauce. Then he decided he didn’t like it, so I gave him some pork belly my sister (“too five-spicey”) eschewed and he re-crisped that and made himself a beet/feta/candied walnut salad. I got a runny egg and topped my rice with some chili crisp, but i thought i was getting some salad too! instead, i got to finish off the extra candied walnuts. :grin:

17 Likes

that bread looks excellent to me!

2 Likes