What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

We eat them like oranges - peeled into segments (harder) or cut into wedges (easier) like at chinese restaurants. My dad likes a pinch each of salt and pepper or red chilli on the side.

Also amazing juiced - by itself, or mixed with
orange.

But always eaten at home and juice outside

2 Likes

Ditto on the Wowza @Saregama. Nice!

1 Like

Thanks @pilgrim! I’m in Massachusetts and I could check out Asian markets within a short drive.

Now I am curious to learn if these citrus fruits (mosambi aka limon dulce) have been accessible to me all along.

@Saregama Thank you! I bought some years ago and didn’t like or perhaps understand them. DH bought one at the market last weekend and it sits in our fruit bowl at the moment. Will go check it out! Again, many thanks for this proper introduction to this interesting fruit.

They can be bland or sour when they’re not ready. But when they are, they are sweet with just a hint of tart and very slight bitter.

3 Likes

Mrs. P made creamy (frozen) corn farfalle with (frozen) peas and shrimp and a side order of shishito peppers.
This was my first real dinner after laminectomy surgery on Wednesday to partially remove 3 bulging disks (L3, L4, and L5) that were hitting a nerve causing pain to shoot down my leg and numbness in my foot for the last 6 months. I had 3 epidural injections that didn’t help. This was my 1st surgery and I had no idea what to expect. It was a long 8 hour day at the hospital. I no longer feel the pain in my leg but the pain in my back from the surgery is excruciating. I can barely bend, sit up, or get out of bed. Poor Mrs. P, who has been a saint through all of this, has had to change my bandage several times a day because it is soaked in blood. She also had to rush the dog to the vet, so she didn’t have time to make anything with fresh ingredients. It looks like we won’t be dining out this weekend.

22 Likes

Mrs. P rocks!

6 Likes

Nearly got takeout but instead made ranch baked chicken tenders, parmesan couscous, and steamed broccoli. Not particularly photogenic, but it worked. Off to a concert (Kelsey Waldon) later.

12 Likes

Grouper for dinner

15 Likes

She sure does! I don’t know what I would do without her.

7 Likes

Wish you good recovery @paryzer.

Meal looks delicious!

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear of your pain and discomfort for the last 6 months, as well as the post op pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery @paryzer, but I’m sure you’re in good hands with Mrs P. Hope you’ll be back to your regular dining schedule soon!

7 Likes

Oh, @paryzer I do wish you a good recovery. Backs are finicky and recover at their own pace, so give it time.

In the meantime, I hope that you and Mrs. P. take good care of yourselves and don’t fear takeout dinners. Sometimes that’s exactly what the doctor ordered.

4 Likes

Oh wow, Mr P! Sounds like the operation will do the trick.

I went thru it. facet injections, epidurals. They worked to varying degrees. The thing that helped me the most was going back to a really good, firm, old-school mattress - no pillow top or other supposed back saving features.

3 Likes

Discombobulated, jet lagged, and generally exhausted - little desire to go grocery shopping, so I gave in to prime now. They were out of what I wanted most - a variety of wild mushrooms, sent the wrong cut of meat, forgot the garlic, and multiplied the ginger. Sigh.

Pulled dal I froze before I left, made some fresh rice, and pan fried (spice-rubbed) cod. Added spinach to the dal because I didn’t feel like making a separate vegetable. Meal hit the spot.

Some of my recent indian sweet stash for dessert - sandesh, a Bengali sweet made with ricotta, this one flavored with palm jaggery.

16 Likes

Pretty good for jet lagged and generally exhausted. Jet lagged and generally exhausted for me means Postmates or Taco Bell.

2 Likes

I tried. Mushrooms and eggs were the plan :joy:

(Also this was all in my freezer already… I had it defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow… except the rice, 5 mins in the baby PC).

1 Like

Mushrooms, pepperoni, home-cured olives, EVOO

Burgers and Bearnaise sauce, beet greens, sauteed potatoes

15 Likes

Very cool.

1 Like

Hoping you feel better soon both for your sake and Mrs P’s.

2 Likes