What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Said it before, but damn I wish I was your neighbor! All mine are soooo lame! Looks amazing :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yesterday was grandma’s 91st birthday which she celebrated with a seafood fra diavolo…and a beer!

28 Likes

What a champ . Love it.

4 Likes

Wow she looks wonderful! Happy b day Gram!

5 Likes

I love fancy takeout for special occasions. It’s intimate and you don’t have to clean the kitchen.

2 Likes

Okay, that made me misty. And she’s drinking a Bud! Keep on truckin’ grandma!!!

4 Likes

Tonight’s dinner: Late night mish-mosh: chicken milanese with tomato bruschetta, rice, and roasted asparagus.

16 Likes

She normally just drinks red wine but had a hankering for something cold. It was down to a Budweiser and a rum & coke. :smiley:

7 Likes

Pan Seared Pork Chop w/Fresh Fig Pan Sauce / Carrots Sautéed & Simmered w/Olive Oil, Butter, Water, Sherry Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Molasses, Rosemary, S&P/ Garlic Rubbed Toast, Drizzled w/Olive Oil, Maldon Salt

The kitchen is officially messy again.

16 Likes

Simple weekend dinner for one while the mister is working again.

Carrot rice.

Broccoli with tuna mayo.

Mixed mushrooms miso soup.

13 Likes

Those are a few of my favorite simple solo things too, especially tuna w/rice. Good job on the rice. What kind?

You mean the rice type? Koshihikari from Niigata. We love the shine on every grain. :laughing:

1 Like

That is a beautiful looking pork chop and presentation! It was worth getting the kitchen messy for.

2 Likes

I thought that’s what it is. Yep, me too.

1 Like

Thanks @paryzer!

1 Like

Any chance you could give us the corn pudding recipe? It looks wonderful!!! Thanks.

The corn pudding recipe is a modified version of Sweet Corn Pudding, from Epicurious.

My modifications are these:

As written the recipe calls for a lot of sugar. Way too sweet for me. I use just one tablespoon at most. (Next time, I’ll try cutting back even further.)

I make this pudding when I have fresh corn. Kernels cut off the cob, no blending the batter til smooth. I want whole kernels.

I mix the batter by hand with a spoon, because I want those chunky whole kernels.

All whole milk instead of part whole milk and part heavy cream.

My butter is almost melted, though cool, because I always have to pull a stick of butter from the freezer. Recipe still works fine.

This pudding works well in an 11 x 7 Pyrex baking dish, which I’m guessing is common in a lot of (American) kitchens.

Finally, I did throw into the batter about a tablespoon of Hatch chiles from a batch I had roasted. Roasting meant the chiles were dry enough not to turn the batter watery. I also tasted the chiles first to avoid turning the pudding into a chile inferno. Recipe is yummy without the chiles, though.

11 Likes

Thanks so much for the recipe and your modifications. I don’t like sweet stuff either, so I will definitely either reduce or just eliminate the sugar. Lots of green chiles though!

3 Likes

I just made a batch… I used your adjustments. I don’t like savory food sweet either. Thxs.

9 Likes

I hope you enjoy! Identical to what my version looked like, right down to the same Pyrex baking dish.

P.S. I was able to carefully remove (with a large metal spatula) and reheat squares for dinner after the pudding had cooled in the fridge overnight. Placed the squares in a smaller, buttered Pyrex at 350 F and kept a watchful eye.

3 Likes