Your favorite recipe using up fresh corn

Here are a few of my favorites:

5 Likes

Corn-Tomato-Basil chowder from The NY Times. I have been making this for years—it’s easy, adaptable, and uses up a lot of corn!

2 Likes

This is one of my favorites (Baked Corn). In the past, I’ve added ground beef and made it into a main course.

How could I forget ice cream? The NYT had a fab “recipe” for sweet corn ice cream my PIC made many summers ago. I whipped up an impromptu berry sauce that went really well with it.

Interesting! What village would that be?

1 Like

This modified corn pudding recipe that I adapted from Epicurious is how I like to use up a random amount of corn kernels. The recipe is pretty forgiving, and I adjusted it to our preferences. The original recipe was way too sweet for us.

2 Likes

Pureed avocado and corn soup with cilantro oil.

1 Like

This is a chilled soup, I take it? And do you make your own cilantro oil?

This is a strange time of year to be getting corn on the cob … considering that, I also love a Mexican street corn salad (one recipe posted above) and given the time of year I’d be sure to sauté the corn until it’s fairly caramelized to bring out the flavor and sweetness.

1 Like

Fresh corn “polenta” – I love the Indian version (sanjo / khees), but of course there’s the Italian too. (The only difference is that the former is tempered and lightly flavored with ginger and geeen chilli, the latter has no spices but has cheese.)

And sweet corn soup. And +1 on esquites.

1 Like

Creamed Corn
Strip the kernels off the cob, reduce some heavy cream with a little minced garlic and shallots, add the corn and cook until thickened, finish with whole butter.

1 Like

Tortilla soup. A broth made of stock, seasoned with chili peppers. Add-ins include shredded chicken (optional), avocado, beans, onion, tomato, diced tomatoes, fresh corn and (of course) tortillas.

Summer minestrone (although this calls for other summer veg as well). A broth made of stock, seasoned with tomatoes and herbs. Green beans, kidney beans, summer squash, onions, tomatoes, and fresh corn. Small pasta pieces help, along with a parmesan rind. Italian sausage is optional.

:corn: ETA: In both cases add the fresh corn just at the end so as not to overcook.

4 Likes

That looks like a great recipe. The photo of the finished dish looks like the tomatoes are used as a garnish (no tomato in the soup base itself) but the instruction says add tomato with the corn (followed by 20 minutes simmering, then 15 minutes hold period). Do you usually add the tomato at the same time as the corn?

That photo is what I’d call a “serving suggestion.” Put the tomatoes in as per the recipe—they don’t break down fully, but stay on the chunky side. I also use whatever tomatoes I have on hand, cut in the size of half-cherry tomatoes if I don’t have those.

1 Like

Any kind of Corn Fritter, Indonesian Bakwan Jagung is a Favorite.
Cajun Succotash, Corn sautéed with Bacon, Okra, Scallions and Tomato.
Jonny Cakes with fresh Corn

1 Like

Yes and yes. Basically you scrape the kernels off, make stock from the cobs, puree with avocado and strain. Blend cilantro with olive oil and strain, and then pour a little over top of the soup, along with some crema or the like.

2 Likes

That sounds positively amazeballz. I’ll tuck that away for corn season.

I agree, I was surprised to even see it, and I rarely buy corn outside of summer. But this is the third time we’ve bought corn this Spring, and it was surprisingly good that first two times.

1 Like

Here’s the actual recipe, 'cause I forgot some stuff. You can cut corners if you feel like it - still comes out good.

For soup

1 fresh or frozen ear of corn, shucked

4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water

1 garlic clove, smashed

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/4 cups chopped white onion

1 fresh serrano chile, stemmed and coarsely chopped (including seeds)

2 firm-ripe California avocados (1 to 1 1/4 lb total)

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1/4 cup crema or sour cream

For cilantro oil

1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

Roast corn on rack of gas burner over high heat, turning occasionally with tongs, until kernels are charred in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. (Alternatively, heat a dry well-seasoned cast-iron skillet and roast corn over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes.) Transfer corn to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cob with a sharp knife, then cut cob into thirds. Bring kernels, cob pieces, 4 cups water, garlic, salt, and 1/2 cup onion to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan and boil until liquid is reduced to about 3 cups, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool, uncovered. Discard cob pieces. Purée corn mixture along with chile and remaining 3/4 cup onion in a blender, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on and then discarding solids. Return broth to cleaned blender.

Quarter, pit, and peel 1 avocado, then add to blender with 2 tablespoons lime juice and purée until smooth. Transfer soup to a bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill soup at least 1 hour.

Purée cilantro, oil, and salt in cleaned blender, scraping down sides of blender several times. Pour oil into cleaned fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and let drain 15 minutes (do not press on solids). Discard solids.

Halve and pit remaining avocado and scoop small balls from flesh with melon-ball cutter, then toss gently with remaining tablespoon lime juice in a bowl. Whisk together crema and remaining 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl until smooth. Season soup with salt and ladle into 6 shallow soup bowls. Divide avocado balls among bowls, then drizzle with crema and cilantro oil.

3 Likes

Grazie mille! Saved for later in the year.