What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Thanks @pilgrim! I think they look great.

LOL… I :heart: those photos.

1 Like

No kidding! Gorgeous.

1 Like

One year my stepfather gave out toothbrushes for Halloween. It was slightly embarrassing but mostly hilarious. He was shocked to find them strewn all over the front lawn the next day. Which we thought was even more hilarious. Poor guy. He grumbled something like “Next year I’ll include a tootsie roll inside the box”.

3 Likes

A few pics of our food & drinks this trip, in no particular order.

in

7 Likes

Halloween on Front Street, Lahaina, Maui.

10 Likes

Sorry for the double posted pics above! I reckon I’m in about 2011, technology -wise. Anyway, fantastic costumes, drink and food this trip. The 1st costume photos both say Head Chef on their aprons and they have heads in their jars. It was too funny! More drink details on the cocktail thread (soon)

1 Like

I know I catered to my kids likes and dislikes and they are somewhat picky now. One is for sure. Probably a disservice to them. I should have said this is what’s for dinner. You don’t want it, you’re on your own.

2 Likes

I guess it’s a bit more complicated than that. They are teens now. We’ve given them everything since they were little. Including strong flavors, ethnic cuisines, weird textures, you name it. Taken them to all the restaurants. And they are probably much more open than a lot of their friends. However, over many years of cooking, we’ve established what they just don’t like through long consistent feedback, and so I don’t tend to cook with those ingredients much. Sometimes, but I’m not trying to torture folks at dinner :slight_smile: I don’t ever make a substitute meal. However, I’m more likely to make a component that I know one of them doesn’t like, if I know there are other parts to the meal that they will. So for instance, yesterday dinner was steak (everyone), winter squash (me, husband, 1 kid), cheesy rice (me, 2 kids), and brussels sprouts (all). Husband had leftover chickpea and beet side from another meal ago for the extra calories. But I typically avoid making much seafood, red sauce dishes, and anything with ricotta, cream cheese, mascarpone. Because I just know they’ll be cranky, and there are other options…

5 Likes

Fixed.

Yeah, it was one thing if they just didn’t like something. I mean, we don’t like all foods either. But when it was a case of eating something and loving it then I make it a week later and all the sudden they decided to hate it, then they went to bed hungry.

Love all the delicious recipe idee’s you guys posted! I just wanted to say I stumbled a while back on a blog that’s helped me a lot with my cooking, if anyone is interested? :wink:
You even can ask questions on it :smiley:!
http://askthechefblog.com

@jack_doltan

That’s why we gather in friendly Hungry Onion forum to help each other out with cooking tips and discussions. Thanks for joining us, you can start asking questions here too! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks at Naf! Since it was about 4 in the morning without much sleep, my brain just didn’t want to play around with it. For perhaps the same reason I posted others that didn’t show up at all. Will repost those soon.

You’re welcome. Or you can post in a private message and I can move the pictures back in the initial post, if you want.

1 Like

I doubt you’ve done any longterm harm. I cooked multiple main plates for years since husband, son and I were on on “different pages” re food. When our son left home, peers (girls?) provoked him to increase his food choices and up his nutritional game. An adult, he now is totally omnivore.

2 Likes

I think they’re fine where they are, but thanks for the help! I’ll get it down soon - so many different ways to do things.