What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

This might be a dumb question but the eggs are cooked then you bake according to the package directions?

I’ve been fooling around with this idea since RedJim posted. Yes, the eggs do bake. I looked at some recipes on line and went with 375 degrees. 30 min and the egg is cooked completely through. 23 minute and the yolk is still runny. I’ve been using a smaller sized biscuit. At 23 min. it was still a little doughy. I’ve been using chopped Canadian bacon and chopped scallions, egg and shredded Mexican cheese mix. Season with a little white pepper. I’ve been baking in vintage ceramic custard cups (old diner dishware). Perhaps metal or thinner Pyrex custard cups would require different timing. I’ve been pretty low energy lately so these things have been super easy!

2 Likes

No. Fork stirred in a bowl, then spooned on top of the crushed bacon. All ingredients get baked together to the time and temp of the biscuit instructions. (actually, I gave it about five minutes more than the instructions stated. They were perfect at the added time).

5 Likes

Ah! I’ve just been cracking an egg over the biscuit and cooking it whole!

2 Likes

That sound terrific, also.

1 Like

And if the eggs are just a little runny…well then I am good, with all of the other fixin’s

1 Like

Nope - the Duo does both

I like a runny yolk. Not too fond of runny whites though. Since my biscuits haven’t been great I think I’ll line the cups with a pressed slice of bread next. Just thought of something - I’ve been pressing/stretching the biscuit. Perhaps this crushed the layers to such an extent that they didn’t rise in the heat?

1 Like

Plus one less dish to wash!

Missed the freedom protests in Hong Kong last month, by design. Smack dab into the Catalonia action today.

Foraged the local supermarcat for some good cheap dinner in the comfort and safety of our hotel room.

Jamon Serrano Gran Reserva 80ge @€2.50.

Basil, Endive, Cherry Tomatoes and a Manchego like cheese. Some carry over Salami with a fresh Baguette. Wine and beer, of course.

17 Likes

I tried a slice of smoked salmon under the egg instead of bacon, and it was fantastic…

5 Likes

Hotel Happy Hour…I love it an do it all the time!

3 Likes

The barman in our hotel rooms always pour with a loose wrist. :wink:

3 Likes

You are lucky…but we usually just use two straws!!!

1 Like

Maybe…?
The tubed biscuits we buy allow us to separate top from bottom because they come in four “layers”. I pull two of the layers for the bottom, use the remaining two to close the biscuit after its filled. The two layer bottom fits nicely in the pan cup with little stretching.

2 Likes

Steak tips.
Ballymaloe Steak Sauce.
Baked Tater.
The PSTOB&SC.
Asparagus.

WINE!!!

Wait.
Did I just shout out the libation?
Damn straight I did.

Cheesy movie on Amazon Prime.
Boring Friday night.
I dont give a crap.
Works for me.

15 Likes

we just missed those protests! A friend that stayed after we did was in a hotel right across from Casa Batllo (in your pic)! She sent me harrowing video of fires and police in riot gear and hundreds and hundreds of people, right below her balcony. Scary stuff. She’s home now, airports were open yesterday. Good you’re staying safe. I read they closed Sagrada Familia today! Sorry you’re not seeing that beautiful city at its best… stay safe, hope you get to enjoy some!

8 Likes

Early bird dinner for sicky today. left work early, sneezing and coughing. this cold seems to be going backwards! BF is still fighting it off, hasn’t succumbed yet. I picked up a prepared porchetta from a fast casual Italian place I reviewed a couple years ago - remembered we’d liked it. Made a quick pasta with bucatini, crushed garlic, shrooms, chili flakes, and spinach. sauce was butter, shroom liquid, and parm regg. fatty, crispy porchetta on top, with dollops of this garlicky agrodolce jam-like stuff that came with. salad of arugula dressed in RWV and EVOO. simples, tasty. In bed at 5:30 p.m.!

11 Likes

Quickie after happy hour - spicy grilled shrimp, garlic bread, buttered beans and carrots. Pistachio truffles for dessert.

14 Likes

My kind of dinner! What movie? I’m looking for something on netflix/prime after the yanks game.