What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Good stuff!

1 Like

My grandfather had a pelmeni press out mold exactly like that when I was a child. It’s the only item of his I kept when he died. I’ve never used it - just keep it as a memory of him. I didn’t know anyone else out there had one like that, although I don’t know why not. He brought his from Russia to the US when he immigrated.

6 Likes

Mushrooms are always a staple in my fridge.

Leftover octopus sashimi. I did a Japanese carpaccio with olive oil, Meyer lemon and its zest, a little soy sauce and fresh ground pepper from Tomita’s recipe. But it’s marinated for a few hours - the mister was back late at least 2 hours. Dinner became supper. :sweat:

He didn’t like it. Said pickled octopus salad was better.

Shiitake + tofu + aburaage (beancurd puffs) miso soup.

Salmon + shimeji mixed rice. The salmon salted, pan-fried and flaked. After the mushroom rice was done, mixed everything up.

10 Likes

Dinner was cataplana in copper cataplana ( name of dish and vessel as well)
Defrosted some tomatoes that were roasted in oven and sofritto made from maple farm’s duck sausage, caramelized onions, carrots, garlic and bell peppers. To this was added shrimp broth from shrimp shells used recently for pasta with shrimp and pesto ( forgot to take pictures), a pound of red drum fish fillet, some defrosted baby calamari from HT with tentacles ( sadly they remove back ink, my favorite part), 6 large wild shrimp ( 10-12 donut per pound), chipotle and adobo sauce, a pinch of saffron and smoked paprika and a tin of anchovy. ( No salt added). This was steamed in Cataplana till steam came out about 8 minutes, served with lemon and the last of parsley from garden, and toasted Panera asiago cheese bread.

17 Likes

That serving is a thing of beauty. Amazing.

Green plums with goat cheese, lemon/chili oil

Korean ribs, asparagus with oyster sauce, corn.

16 Likes

Thanks for sharing that BA recipe. First time seeing Molly rolling her eyes so many times in a video. :joy:

1 Like

Sure sounded good - too bad it disappointed

1 Like

Délicieux!

1 Like

…and it’s pretty too.

2 Likes

Haha thanks! Sad to say, the mister is not a fan of anything drizzled with olive oil. :cry:

The “after” pic. Short ribs (pictured earlier) slow cooking for 8 hours in Thai red curry paste, ginger, garlic, soy and fish sauces, and chili paste. Unbelievable flavor! One of the best meals I’ve ever had at home.

IMG_20191017_231034_998

18 Likes

It looks it.

1 Like

Still sick, BF now sick, I worked late, he ate before I got home, so pan con tomate it was - FM early girl tomatoes, Acme pain au levain, arbequina olive oil, and Maldon salt. #cantstopeatingspanish

11 Likes

In a good way?

Risotto , with mussels and prawns . Wine to drink . Cheers.

12 Likes

That is a nice keepsake from your grandfather. I got mine off Amazon for like $11. It’s made of aluminum. I think I should have gotten a plastic one as I have had to pick out little bits of the coating from some of the pelmeni.

1 Like

Cataplanas are the prototype of pressure cooker. They are very fast . The only good ones on the internet used to be from William Sonoma called Metalutil. WS currently. sell inferior quality ones. Metalutil went out of business, they are round on bottom and so, if one has electric stove, it is not optimum. I bought a metalutil one for use on the beach as my son always cook on the beach then I bought directly from Portugal. They are on sale all over here on the internet but the best ones are the custom hammered ones as the copper is thicker, compared to the ready made ones and you can buy the flat bottom ones. I have 2 of those custom ones, this one I used yesterday is for 2 -3 people and I have a huge one for a crowd. Very fast, usually 8 minutes for the small one fo sea food. Once the steam comes up, food is ready. Of course I precook my soffrito on wok( I precook soffrito a lot and freeze them, for paella as well as for cataplana) but seafood such as shrimp, calamari, I often add them while frozen or semifrozen as I do not like them to be overcooked esp when I mostly use Red Argentina shrimp which cooks super fast. discovered the small calamari with tentacles to be superior also to the larger squids as I do not have to flower them and I added those semi frozen. Wish I can find squids with black ink. They are the best! I am hesitant to use them when guests are here esp if I do not keep an eye as some guests are not careful and use sharp utensils even if I give them non metal utensil bec the tin cannot be compromised otherwise retaining is very expensive! Just ave to be sure that even the tin lining of the top piece is coated with oil * I use PAM spray) and not to place cataplana on stove when empty.

4 Likes

I love all types of mushroom esp the Asian dehydrated ones but unfortunately, son will not eat when I add mushroom to my food. I also saw some huge octopus at Costco recently, Growing up, we use dried octopus, soften them in hot water, marinade them with soy sauce, garlic, wine , hot pepper, sesame oil etc then grill them.

3 Likes

Looks delicious!..but “isn’t slow cooking” in an Instant Pot an oxymoron?

2 Likes