What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Sending you positive thoughts and strength. I’m so sorry.

1 Like

I was on a complete pumpkin binge today. Started out with a short batch of jumbo pumpkin muffins, moved onto pumpkin ginger soup and ended the evening with pumpkin chia mousse. Must have been the Halloween decorating and candy shopping that got me thinking…

My thought to you and your family @RedJim and @aussieshepsx2.

10 Likes

My deepest condolences @RedJim. 40 is much too young.
@aussieshepsx2 my prayers are with you.

2 Likes

Sending strength and support to those suffering painful loss and bearing the weight of family illness. Hope you are finding comfort in family, friends and food.

Tonight was halibut roasted with lemon zest, thinly sliced lemons and capers. Sides

were asparagus, roasted broccoli, new potatoes and crispy brussel sprouts.

15 Likes

Oh boy…what sad day. Soup is a comfort food for sure. I hope it was for you today.

2 Likes

Tonight was a very sad night. It was our last supper at Tillie’s which is closing next Saturday the 26th. We were just there last Saturday night and had no idea they were closing. This was one of our favorite restaurants and probably the best kept secret in NJ. Chef Wirt is so talented and genuine, and his wife Karen makes the best key lime pie. Their lease runs out at the end of the month and they decided not to renew it. Apparently he received a promising job offer that has to be kept secret until November and Karen is studying to become a nurse. With 4 young daughters they needed to find something steadier with insurance. Although I am sad that I will never get to eat at their amazing restaurant again, I am happy for them. I bought them a bottle of wine that they have enjoyed in the past.
Besides our usual awesome house cured smoked bacon, shrimp and grits, and crispy fried chicken thighs with honey sriracha sauce, I had an outstanding veal chop with roasted Brussels sprouts and smoky eggplant. We also had fresh cavatelli with lobster, seaweed, and bottarga, as well as cold marinated octopus and pickled shrimp. We took home Karen’s incredible key lime pie to go for the road. It all went great with a California red blend. When it came time to pay the check our server told us that the entire dinner was comped! I was so shocked and had a hard time holding back tears. These people are the best! Needless to say we left our server a generous tip.

20 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. It will be an interesting few months. We’ve made peace with it the best we can.
Tonight was meatballs (50/50 ground beef and Italian sausage) in sauce. No one wanted pasta so I just tossed in a bunch of spinach and made buttered toast to soak up the sauce.

20 Likes

Not dinner, but the pumpkin we carved tonight, the roasted seeds from its innards, and the apple fritters we munched on while carving.

21 Likes

I’m lovin’ your soups.

1 Like

Okay, we’re frequently of the same mind in cooking… except you follow thru! I’ve got fresh corn, fresh fish and I’m doin’ it!

2 Likes

I love your road stories @LindaWhit - what you do, where you go, who you see, what you see… followed by a lovely supper and a glass sometimes two of wine.

2 Likes

Me too.

No shit. Bookmarking.

3 Likes

So sorry for your loss. Not that it’s ever a good time, but 40 is too young.

1 Like

That looks delicious! Two thumbs up for the toast too!

2 Likes

It is my hope that both of you hold onto each other and find the strength to weather this storm. Love and prayers for all of you.

2 Likes

Sad
Prior to retiring , one of our nurses’ husband had a restaurant, Hunan menu/ The 40 employees at work order lunch every Friday from them as well as some pre holiday feast as we do not have a cafeteria at work.
Last May, when I had my eye surgery in Montgomery County, ( I live at Calvert), I was missing my Singapore noodles and dropped by. The waitress recognized me, told the owner ( husband of the nurse) that I was there. He came and chatted with us , told us he was closing the restaurant in a few months as his lease was running out, minimum wage went up at Montgomery county and since his twins were at their last year in college ( I gave a shower when they were born). Sad but fact of life. His wife had over to another job, wil keep her job for health insurance purpose.
I specially love that key lime pie!

4 Likes

Funny! Looks yummy.

Very sorry for the double bad news. Courage and strength. Love that you are going through by sharing food and love.

My friend broke out the same bad news yesterday, her sister has stage 3 intestine cancer announced last week. At least she and her sister try to stay optimistic.

2 Likes

I don’t like too much filler either. If you don’t like filler but don’t want them to fall apart when flipping, maybe pack them tighter with your hands and use more oil?

1 Like