What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

I’ve made a lot of steaks in my life but this was one of the best. Call it “Thai Steak”. NY Strip rubbed with garlic, ginger, red curry paste, soy and fish sauces, red pepper flakes. So much flavor! The marinade was Justin’s idea, not being a steak fan and being bored with my usual “traditional” salt and pepper treatment. Served with roasted honey-soy Brussels Sprouts and basmati rice.

19 Likes

One eye is on the News watching the wildfires. Keeping it simple. Open-faced Chicken Cordon Bleu with provolone & lemon-Dijon sauce. Steamed asparagus and Near East Parmesan Couscous.

8 Likes

Sounds great. You two are a formidable duo in the kitchen!

2 Likes

Pan fried, butterflied, pork chops with a healthy schmeer of maple syrup. Yukon Golds were the go-with…

17 Likes

Midwestern goulash in the IP with some tomatoes and peppers from the garden.

12 Likes

We had smoked country ribs from Sam’s butcher shop with a Cajun dry rub and sweet potato fries. Mrs. P also made roasted delicata squash with olive oil, S&P, and reduced balsamic vinegar. It went great with a 2016 Tobia Tempranillo.

17 Likes

A lunch at the restaurant next to work with the ladies in my dept. Boss had to go home to take care of sick kids, so we decided to do “takeout with a drink”. :wink: We ended up eating there and had a nice chat all around. Plus those drinks. :grin:

Dinner tonight was Maple-Bourbon Steak Tips from my local butcher, a baked tater with the PSTOB and sour cream, and green beans.

More wine.

And I was one of nine who won two lbs. of plain steak tips from the same butcher because I predicted the score of last night’s Patriots/Giants game and hit it exactly on the nose. I like free. :heart:

16 Likes

Grated carrot “crudites”

Rotelle with ham, peas, herbs and cream

15 Likes

Lovely Rioja Alta …

1 Like

Over indulged last night after party. So I ran a quick batch of dried apples to munch on until tonights concert.

Enjoy all!
R

15 Likes

LeBron filed for the Trademark on Taco Tuesday. I’m thinking I should file for a Trademark on Sausage Saturday. :grin:

Here’s our Johnsonville Beer Brats with sweet onion:

And Asparagus from somewhere other than North America:

Just a terrific meal!

18 Likes

A rare Saturday spent on my own doing errand upon errand upon errand after sleeping in late. I’ll be visiting Mom tomorrow since there’s no Patriots home game.

The capper was getting $63.63 worth of meat from my butcher for $24.92 because of the free 2 lbs. of steak tips, and a $10 off $30 coupon for my birthday. I got 3 gorgeous bone-in pork chops, 5 sweet Italian sausages, an almost 1 lb. strip sirloin steak, and 2.21 lbs. of free steak tips.

Dinner was one of the beautiful bone-in pork chops I bought,

seasoned with olive oil and lots of Penzeys Tsardust seasoning, grilled and finished in the oven. Sliced and served with an apple cider cream sauce drizzled over top.

Israeli couscous and asparagus alongside. And wine, of course. I do believe I’ll have a snifter of Cuarenta y Tres for dessert.

26 Likes

Gad, that’s a good lookin’ chop!

2 Likes

We had another awesome dinner at Tillie’s. Below are the details and pictures for anyone that might be interested.

7 Likes

I made Dungeness crab cakes. Apparently the season has started in Canada. I could use the practice.

No filler. Hard to turn.

19 Likes

After you form them . Put them in the fridge to set . A little filler helps to bind them
I bet they were tasty though .

4 Likes

Thank you! Not sure why I Iprefer them this way. I use the recipe from the Boulevard cookbook. Just a little mayo to bind, in a ring mold, panko on the top and bottom, and about an hour in the fridge. The bottom gets frowned in the pan, but I try to do the tops with a broiler. Maybe I’ll add an egg next time, so I can flip them once.

1 Like

Cuban roast pork shoulder, black beans and rice. Inspired by @Mr_Happy’s recent post. The grocery store only had an 11 lb shoulder so My freezer will be stocked for future meals.

24 Likes

The Brisket looks marvelous. But those Black Beans & Rice–incredible! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Funny you say that because I was more impressed with how the beans came out versus the pork - and at 1/10th of the effort. I didn’t have a ham hock but cooked them in homemade chicken stock with cumin, green pepper, bay leaves a dash of red wine vinegar and twice the amount of garlic than the recipe called for, but the sofrito you stir in at the end really makes it. The sofrito recipe I found on NY Times uses bacon so it gave it a nice smoky flavor.

8 Likes