What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

I made Kenji’s pho ga in the IP. Tasty - a bit much prep for a week night with a toddler though. He helped cook and dug in.

23 Likes

Long day.
Mom doctor appt. in the a.m.
(She’s doing as best as can be expected for 89 years old.)
Then a long drive back to work through lots of rain on the South Shore.
Fun. (Not.)
Powered through 4 hours of lots of work.
Home.

Oh looky!
It’s Wednesday.
Hump Day.
Prince Spaghetti Day.
Dinner solved.
Crusty buttered roll alongside with a glass of wine.

Tomorrow night will probably be a bowl of cereal, as I have a wake to go to in the evening.

17 Likes

Bowl to the face is the money shot :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

That pic is commercial gold. It’s salute to Mom goes without saying!

4 Likes

Red bells continue. Piqued with blue cheese.

Brandade cakes with dill/tarragon tartar sauce

16 Likes

Mrs. P made a crispy panko, Italian breadcrumbs, and parmesan crusted pork chop with a side of cauliflower steak and blistered mini peppers.

21 Likes

You’re killing me again.

I forgot, Shanghai bok choy with oyster sauce as the side.

17 Likes

Eggy dinner.

Egg drop soup.

Roast pork fried rice with egg.

15 Likes

That Pho! Delicious!

Nice! Yeah, a good pho requires some work, glad it was paying off.

1 Like

That Panko was well cooked! Yum!

2 Likes

Thanks @naf! It was nice and crispy, and the pork was still juicy inside. I think it was the combination of panko, Italian breadcrumbs, and parmesan that gave it a nice crisp and flavor.

2 Likes

Fresh corn chowder/bisque, roasted Coho salmon, pumpkin and spelt risotto.

16 Likes

He seems enjoying the meal thoroughly

2 Likes

Last night, I run to HT to buy some more chicken breast as my baby luna suddenly refused her raw meat in the morning, nor her kibbles. I finally found a chicken breast and poached it for her, she finally ate. Tried so hard during the day for her to take her meds, wrapped it with different cheese, she just turned her nose up. So,I run to HT as I saw they had chicken breast for sale at 1.99. Hmm, that is much cheaper than eye round that I had to grind myself. shredding is easier than grinding as I do not have to take the grinder out, and of course wash etc. So, I run to HT, came home with 2 huge bags of chicken breasts, came back home to shred the chicken breast that I had in the freezer, make chicken enchilada . Tonight, I found them on the floor next to freezer. Still cold, so, I poached them. Getting very forgetful. Lucky my house is cold, esp at the basement and chicken were semi frozen. Here is chicken enchilada using defrost Mexican red sauce ( from 5 kinds of pods, ancho, pasilla and mulato, Chile de arbor, hatch Chile,) I was in a rush so I bought some Mexican enchilada cheese to add to my cheese at home. I also added some oven roasted tomatoes to it… They do not look good but son says it is super

17 Likes

The nor’easter weather held off this evening.
A gorgeous sunset on the drive home after a wake.
One that set the sky on fire.
I wanted to stop on the highway to take a picture.
I didn’t, of course, but got this when there were no cars around me.
Doesn’t do the sky justice.
Two minutes earlier would have shown the fiery sky.

Home at a reasonable time to pour some wine and heat up some freezer food: apple cider pork and sweet potato stew, egg noodles, and buttered carrots.

14 Likes

Yellow pepper soup

Artichoke, ham and Oaxacan cheese quiche

DH loved the soup but just “ate” the quiche, since a super fan of neither artichokes nor quiche.
I thought the soup was “okay” but LOVED the quiche.

18 Likes

Au contraire. I want a plate!

2 Likes

Dinner was a quickie. Avocado pesto with meat tortellini. Mixed green salad. Vino.

Cheers!
R

3 Likes

I’ve made a lot of steaks in my life but this was one of the best. Call it “Thai Steak”. NY Strip rubbed with garlic, ginger, red curry paste, soy and fish sauces, red pepper flakes. So much flavor! The marinade was Justin’s idea, not being a steak fan and being bored with my usual “traditional” salt and pepper treatment. Served with roasted honey-soy Brussels Sprouts and basmati rice.

19 Likes