What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

You would eat all that meat at one meal??? Wow.

I used to love Sichuan fried pig intestines until one time we got some that weren’t cleaned well enough. Haven’t wanted them since then :frowning:

1 Like

I may live “In the Land of the Free” but I have no idea where to find Kangaroo steaks. I suppose if I dug deep enough I probably could find a source right here in the Boston MA area. You really are a lucky duck as we say to have ready sources like that, though.

This SF based company has an excellent reputation.

http://www.polaricausa.com/images/productlist2015.pdf

Actually, Gio, Savenor’s in Cambridge has carried Kangaroo in the past. I haven’t been that adventurous, though!

1 Like

Dinner tonight was a quick tortellini with kale, hot Italian sausage, coquillo olives, sun-dried tomatoes and feta. A little white wine and chicken stock with some garlic formed a simple sauce. Very tasty finished with a little julienned basil.

Another long day at work. I’m a bit more alive this evening, although I have no idea why, since I woke up at 3:30 this morning and had a tough time falling back to sleep. But at least I’m able to think about making dinner.

It’s the day after National Spaghetti Day, and the day before Prince Spaghetti Day.

SO GUESS WHAT I’M HAVING FOR DINNER???

Yup - sketti and sawce. With grated Parm-Reg on top. And a crusty roll. And a small glass of wine. Veggies, you say? Pffftttt - that’s the tomato in the sawce.

1 Like

Gee, Linda, you should have called me!

To have a little chit-chat in the middle of the night? I was determined to fall back to sleep. I made the mistake of looking at the clock. Stupeyhead. :-/

I did the same, looking at the clock and all, but not until about 4:15, so I should stop complaining. Well, here’s to an amazingly restful night for both of us, full of sugar plums and onions…:smile:

1 Like

yep – let me sing you the song of my (menopausal) people — wide awake in the middle of the night (makes it convenient, though – I’m up at just about the right time to let my butt in the door when it’s dragging behind form lack of sleep.)

2 Likes

:relieved:

So our chicken parmesan with Linguini Fini was RIGHT on point!

1 Like

Hope you can find it at places suggested by Catholiver and Bear. Try alpaca too, if you can find it.

I hear from Australians that kangaroo meat in Australia is as common as beef. You get it minced, steaks, sausasages etc.

Haven’t we a thread on exotic meats? I don’t see the point of crocodile meat. Ate it once.

1 Like

Absolutely - cleared plates for both courses. At a guess, there will have been about 300g of meat

It’s why I’m a short, fat, middle-aged man, instead of being a short, middle-aged man.

2 Likes

I’ve no particular desire to eat it and I’m not sure where I’d easily buy it in the UK - but my starting point would be the likes of Aldi & Lidl. Their frozen selections often have “stuff” not readily available elsewhere. Do you have those shops near you?

As for tonight’s dinner - there’s a pork stirfry in the plan. Strips of loin get marinated in lemongrass, soy and lime juice & zest. Then fried with later additions of spring onion, cashews and Chinese cabbage. Not sure whether the carb will be rice or noodles. If the latter, then they’ll be mixed into the wok with everything else.

I think there’s an Aldi a couple of towns over from us. Thank you for the suggestion, John.

LOL! For some reason we’re eating a lot less meat these days. Not a conscious decision.

For me, it’s the influence of “foreign” cuisines which often place much less reliance on meat. If I go back to my childhood in the 50s & 60s there would be meat at every dinner, with the exception of fish on Friday.

That said, my compatriots are also eating less fish & seafood - somewhat strange when you think we live on a small island surrounded by seas packed with good stuff to eat (much of which our fishing industry catches and then exports to other countries which prize it more than we do)

Leftover “Sichuan” prawns became a meal of fried rice today, complete with fried beaten eggs and a salad on the side (cucummer, tomatoes, coriander etc).

2 Likes