What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

Leftovers are probable for tonight, but I went to the grocery store this morning to buy a few things just in case the storm shuts us down (although we’re not in any danger of losing power, and we can walk to probably 6 grocery stores even in several feet of snow, I figured it would be better not to HAVE to leave the house). Most important purchase was half and half, since I assume there will be much coffee drunk this weekend! Otherwise, I didn’t really need much, other than some vegetables and other perishables. Even in our small NYC kitchen, we’ve got enough of a “pantry” to get us through for quite a while - I really don’t understand these people that have to buy carts full of bread and eggs. Anyone else stocking up just in case?

I think it looks perfect the way it is, I’d pay good money for one just like it.

I made sure to have cream, eggs, half and half, fresh veg and herbs. Also have some packages of Mestermacher Protein bread in the freezer.

I really hope they let you all out early, Kris! (And welcome to the WFD thread!)

Carnitas cooking away in the crock pot for dinner! No Bloody Mary supplies but plenty of champagne. So far I’ve been in jail 4 times (food better than expected) won 2nd prize in a beuty contest and hit free parking twice! The competition is down for a nap…the game will continue. Sleet continues.

5 Likes

OK, I love this. :smiley:

Last night’s bibim-naengmyeon hit the spot. Next time I’ll add a touch more vinegar to the spicy sauce but otherwise a success. The daikon quick pickles were a hit with the family despite the smell in the kitchen.

Tonight we’re at the holiday apartment. I’m thinking of taking the table top grill up so we can minimise on dishes and avoid having to clean the big BBQ. I’m even thinking something that can be consumed in lettuce cups is in order. Yes, I’m very lazy.

6 Likes

Looks Wonderful!

Aw, you’re too kind :blush:

That is a really pretty bowl of food.

1 Like

You’re in luck, says here that champagne consumption improves memory! http://thebigwinetheory.com/2015/04/10/consumir-champagne-varias-veces-a-la-semana-mejora-la-memoria/

2 Likes

Delicious seafood from the icy north. Skrei (young cod caught in the artic) and North Sea shrimp. Simply pan fried. Mushrooms were steamed with some sherry, finished with sesame oil.

Skrei is seasonal and costs more than “normal” cod.

The Telegraph has an article about Skrei here.

5 Likes

Pork loin seasoned with seasoned salt & pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, parsley and wrapped in bacon coated with sweet baby rays sweet and tangy BBQ sauce topped with sliced onions. Baked on top of a bed of sauerkraut.
Only took the before picture…looks like a big Mc Rib sandwich!

3 Likes

French Friday: Coq au vin, spinach (frisee not avilable) salad with lardons & bleu fromage dressing. There was a martini before and red wine with. Lovely sunshine today, dog got a bath.

7 Likes

My first time making spaghetti carbonara. Except I didn’t use spaghetti.- I used egg fettuccine. And I added peas. Which are supposedly a no-no. And I used pancetta instead of guanciale.

Or at least close enough for me. And it was good.

A small salad alongside and a couple of glasses of wine. Drunk in sympathy for friends who are suffering through Snowmageddon in DC and Virginia.

7 Likes

Have some extra for me… expecting it to start at midnight, heavy by 5 a.m. all day Sat and into Sunday a.m.

All I know is I’ll be in the gym by 9am!

Made a burger tonight. Wifey out of town so made a bacon jam I know she wouldn’t eat to dress the burger. Smear of chipotle mayo I made on the top as well

5 Likes

I tried, but two is my limit for now. :slight_smile: Stay safe. Hopefully it remains the light fluffies vs. heavy, wet snow.

Holy freakin’ Christmas that burger just glistens with fatty goodness!

I WANT WANT WANT WANT!!!

1 Like