What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

That looks very good and interesting, do you have a full recipe? Thanks

Saturday night was Chicken Fricassee. It’s a recipe I got from a Chowhound friend Steve h. It looks messy on the plate, but it tasted OH SO GOOD. Had the chicken with some Linguine and peas on the side. The rich mushroom gravy worked fantastic on both the chicken and pasta. Had a nice Chablis to go with it.

Sunday morning brunch was started with a classic Mimosa, some crispy hash browns and some loaded Womlets (Omelets made in the waffle iron). They were so good.

Sunday night was a nice pot roast, potatoes and carrots went into the pot towards the end, and then a nice gravy was made. A good Cabernet accompanied.

4 Likes

LOL - LW, we had the same idea. Same dinner, same show on the tube. :stew:

1 Like

Wow, finding you all took some doing. I gave up on chowhound as it was too hard to use with my phone after the redesign. Lovely to see this table sporting so many familiar faces.

We’re doing my father’s silver beet (chard) with olive oil and onions tonight. Grilled bread on the side to mop up the juices.

7 Likes

Braised wild boar with the usual (Speck, smoke beer and juniper berries etc). Made it yesterday and only needed to warm up gently. Next time I’ll made gulasch with the same cut of wild boar.

5 Likes

Last night: Lamb Osso Buco (Bruce Aidell’s recipe), risotto, and roasted cauliflower. And because the lamb shanks I got were enormous, there’s a ton left over for tonight. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey, welcome, Friz. Missed the Kiwi contribution.

4 Likes

Yessss! Very much!

There are at least a couple more people (OK, maybe 20) I want to see again here but I’m not holding my breath.

Hi again, Friz!!!:beers:

3 Likes

Frizzle-

Welcome!

Glad to see you here! I’ve always enjoyed your posts.

2 Likes

Season boneless chicken breast stuffed with pepperoni, topped with provolone and a jarred marinara sauce. Sautéed spinach with garlic and diced tomato also side of pasta not pictured. Nothing fancy.

6 Likes

FRIZZLE!!! Welcome to HO’s WFD thread! Glad to see you.

2 Likes

Perhaps nothing fancy, but it looks great!

Hello Frizzle ~ ~ So very happy to see you here!

2 Likes

Has anyone heard from Steve H?

Welcome Frizzle! Nothing exciting to report here - just leftovers. DH finished up some fauxlognese with a couple of slices of sour rye bread I made last week; I had leftover Lucky Peach cumin lamb (which was pretty good, but not as good as it should have been, as I was out of Sichuan peppercorns and didn’t realize it until it was too late!).

This week is a Pierre Gagnaire week. I bought his latest recipe book La cuisine des 5 saisons (5 seasons cooking) in december and never tried anything until yesterday.

So on the menu was pot au feu with veal shanks, sweet potato and anise broth, sided with red cabbage and pear. The veal was cooked 1.5 hours with leeks, carrots, celeries, onions (just like a pot au feu) with salt and anise. The broth was collected and use to cook the sweet potato. In another pan, heat up vinegar and stirred in the sliced red cabbage, at the last minute add the chopped pears, pickles, and capers. The veal was heated up with a Riesling wine sauce.

Didn’t come out too successful, I made at least 3 mistakes, 1/I didn’t use enough sweet potato for the broth/sauce… 2/I added too much pickles and capers, too acid 3/the pear wasn’t ripe enough to give the sweet taste contrast. I will redo the side tonight and see if the equilibrium of taste can be improved. Actually, the chef kind of served the dish in his restaurant.

The dessert was Pineapple with Rum and saffron (original recipe asked for Kirsch, I’m not a big fan of cherry).

4 Likes

This looks lovely. Too bad, I don’t see any game this year in January supermarket sales though…

Are you able to get genuine wild boar? All the stuff that I come across in the UK is farmed raised wild boar - which seems like a contradiction in terms. Damn tasty.

As for tonight, we’re going out again. We’re on the mailing list of a local place and we’ve been to a speical event to sample their new menu and be able to comment on it, so they can make adjustments before the menu goes live. Not a free meal but a cheap meal which should be fun.

3 Likes

Fortunately for me, yes it is the real thing. Government says due to over population the boars need to be culled sometimes. Hunting is legal in season as well, though I am not so sure about the guide lines. Every year I do read in the paper about some areas in the country with wild boar problems (over population, run amok in places that are not the woods etc). Curiously, I have only seen steaks and braising bitts. What happens to the rest of the beast then? I’d also like to eat the sausages and legs, or ribs.

NAF, thanks. Game meats are still on sale here though a lot less than in December.

And this is how we learn. Next time you shall remember what more to add or reduce. Did the Riesling sauce help?

I love all this kind of cooking (similar to cozido/cocido in Portugal/Spain respectively. Hainanese chicken etc).