What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

I cooked, kinda’…

Spicy Chicken Breast Sandwich & Corn On The Cobb

Rubbed w/dry spices, browned in olive oil, made a chunky relish from leftover gazpacho fixins’ (tomatoes, strawberries & green peppers), topped w/baby kale & vegenaise on grocery store baguettes. Tasty.

But Oh This Corn!

Sometimes photos don’t tell the whole story. My buddy (food lover & backyard farmer) was going on about Tapia Bros corn. I quote “blows away everything I have had since southern Jersey farmstands. Its even better.” I bought some to test his enthusiasm for myself. Boiled them for just a few minutes with no tricks (no sugar added to the water), finished w/a few pads of unsalted butter, just a sprinkling of crunchy salt & course black pepper. Okay, idk anything about southern jersey farmstands, but this might be the best corn I’ve ever had. Biting into them the sweet, corn juice popped and squirted all over our faces. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Impossibly fresh, sweet, crunchy, corn goodness. Gotta’ get more… more corn dishes to follow…

20 Likes

OK, the cooking bit of dinner is a mixed lentil affair that we’ve done for donkeys ages. I usually make a double quantity and freeze half. Onion and garlic is softenened, green or brown lentils go in along with veggie bouillon. It cooks for a while, then red lentils go in. A little while before it’s ready, skinned and chopped tomatoes go - just to heat through and release juice to moisten it all.

We’re having that with a coil of Cumberland sausage. And a big dollop of English mustard of course

10 Likes

Everything looks great and yeah, that corn!

1 Like

Here’s the recipe. And a few others…

3 Likes

two night’s dinner . Had problem with photo sharing

Seared D’Artagnan’s Moulard Magret duck breast with potatoes precooked in oven then seared with duck fat . (son already started to eat his portion)
Stir fry chicken breast marinaded in mixture of black beans and garlic sauce, spicy chili crisp and usual sesame oil, mirin and rice wine. stir fry with garlic ( no onions but too sick with flu to go to store so just using up whatever is in home) , ginger and spring onions, then scooped out of wok, added vegetables from garden except snow peas served with rice.

16 Likes

Thanks! My husband is gonna’ love Impossible Pie.

3 Likes

Your stir fry looks great. I have yet to try making duck breast. :thinking: Must get on that. Feel better!

Hi @Harters

Is there an actual recipe (measurements) for this? When the weather gets cooler I’d like to try it.

Question for anyone. Think I saw some discussion encouraging posters to use a recipe thread. Are we doing that or putting them here, there, anywhere?

Dinner Tuesday evening was at our favorite casual place in town. DH took pictures of the view and our food, but they didn’t turn out well. We shared a cup of clam chowder, and a side salad with bleu cheese.
I had halibut and chips, but subbed onion rings. DH had a Reuben sandwich and fries. Both entrees were delicious. Wine and a drink for me, water for him.

Last night it was ground turkey burritos with black beans, avocado and all the accoutrements. Hit the spot!

8 Likes

Here you go:

2 onions
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 bay leaves
0.5 tsp dried thyme (or more fresh
225g green lentils
225g red lentils
Chicken or veggie stock (about 750ml)
3 tomatoes
Parsley.

As mentioned, fry the onion and garlic. Add the bay, thyme, stock and green lentils. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the red lentils and simmer for another 10. Check that everything is pretty much tender and then add the chopped tomatoes and parsley.

The original recipe had this as a veggie main course, to eat with crusty bread. I think we tried that once but thought it better as an accompaniment. Sausages, as tonight, go great with it. As might anything porky.

6 Likes

Indeed! Thanks!

Good looking sandwich - like a BLT with chicken instead of bacon.

1 Like

Thanks! I slice it thin and score it a little (kinda’ like butterflying). I try to avoid pounding my meat. It’s so noisy. :relaxed:

personally i don’t see a problem with putting a recipe here for something that’s been discussed here…

4 Likes

Me neither. Just tryin’ to follow the rules here. :wink: IIRC it was more about recurring requests for the same recipes.

1 Like

Shrimp on the grill

10 Likes

Looks good. What’s the sauce?

1 Like

Yes! But it’s a great way to get rid of your frustrations dontcha know? I get a little carried away sometimes and make holes in the chicken breasts…

2 Likes

Slumming. Mayo, hot sauce lemon juice and Tajin

4 Likes