What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

I also had a glut of haricots vert earlier this year. Besides a lot of Salade Niçoise one of the preparations I liked was this recipe from Pierre Franey.
https://www.pierrefraney.com/recipes/salads/green_beans_and_red_onion_vinaigrette.html

2 Likes

Sounds like the start of my 3 bean salad! I made a bunch over the weekend. The kids like it for school lunches. Never have they taken a mere turkey or ham sandwich. That would make my life too easy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

King crab is my absolute favorite splurge food. Hardly ever have it due to the $$$. So so good.

3 Likes

Yes, this is the first time I have had King crab legs and dungeness crab at home. Mrs. P just happened to see Costco advertising this seafood special for Labor day when she was shopping a week earlier. It is a bit of a splurge but well worth it. There was so much sweet delicious crab meat in the legs and whole crab. I can’t wait to have the leftover dungeness crab tonight.

7 Likes

For the green beans, stewed with olive oil, garlic and tomatoes. I’ll look for a link.

3 Likes

I’ll try this;

For braised Green beans with Tomatoes and Garlic-braised-green-beans-with-tomatoes-and-garlic/l

IMG_20180830_192604

There was mention of concerns about of the texture of the beans in the above thread, as well as the importance of the olive oil.

6 Likes

Different strokes and all, but I love them this way. Greeks and Turks have been braising beans til tender for centuries.

5 Likes

This reminded me of another dish I made that I really liked. I blanched the green beans, drained and put them in a a hot skillet with a little olive oil for a few minutes and then spooned some of Harter’s preserved tomatoes over them.

4 Likes

Looks yum to me. When I cook, I cook for 4, and they are each picky in their own way. One doesn’t do cooked tomatoes. So the trick is to make certain dishes only when one of them isn’t around the table that night. Jealous? :slight_smile: I’m sure other moms can relate. The next time my no cooked tomato kid is not dining with us, I’ll give this a spin.

2 Likes

I totally get that! I only cook for two, but husbands pickiness is weighted. He s picky enough for three ! For what it’s worth, he liked it. “Hey Mikey!”.

3 Likes

I am sometimes surprised that they don’t like something, but rarely surprised that they do. I’ve been cooking for this crew for awhile now :slight_smile: The no cooked tomato kid makes exceptions only for chili and ketchup. All other tomatoes can only be eaten in raw form. And only good ones - not gross grocery ones. That kid is also no sea creatures, and allergic to nuts. So a real pain as far as cooking. The hubs is no hot i.e. melted cheeses (except pizza) and not a fan of cream sauces. The little one is probably the most open minded. Will arbitrarily just decide he doesn’t like something partway through a meal. He also has a corn hangup, of all things. Texture.

3 Likes

I hear that! Probably could start a thread about it. Both my husband and daughter have texture issues. But she’s grown, so she knows what to do.

Tonight: cold avocados soup with tomatoes and crab.

Mussels from the bay of Saint Michelin, garlic, parsley and tomatoes.

Yesterday was red curry prawns and green bean sprouts.

Cucumber with a Sichuan style of chili paste, a gift by a Hong Kong friend. Very numb and hot, very good.

Veal liver with onion, a Venetian dish, rather simple but good.

Pork ribs with barbecue pork and corns!!

15 Likes

I’m swooning! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Nibbles for dinner tonight…

10 Likes

Ooof, you have it rough! Solidarity.

2 Likes

Love your variety of meals @naf!

3 Likes

Tonight, dinner is airport fare not much for eating before a flight. Grab some overpriced fruit and crackers for the misses.

See you all next week.

R

6 Likes

I tweaked Fuchsia Dunlop’s recipe for zhajiangmian (added scallion, garlic, soy sauce, coconut sugar, and a smidge of hot bean paste). Garnished with blanched carrot, fennel, celery, peas, asparagus, and raw cucumber. Wokked sesame-garlic long beans as well. It seems like a “use what you have” type of flexible meal.

18 Likes

Quick-fix dinner tonight while packing for a trip.

Frozen pre-packaged noodle stir-fry - I ignored the instructions to cook it all together and separated the noodles. Hot wok for the frozen veg and chicken, defrosted the noodles in the microwave separately. Used only a tbsp of the included sauce (past experience with these sauces is that they’re sickly sweet to my taste) and added my own seasonings. Finished with scallions and sesame seeds.

Surprisingly good texture vs my expectations - noodles were springy and chewy in a good way, even most of the veg returned crunch (only the peppers were squishy).

Some meals from last week and the weekend:

Another round of home tapas with DIY pan con tomate, chorizo, and broccolini with garlic.

Cauliflower ravioli in a light white sauce - delicious, but next time I’ll roast cauliflower on the side and add it as I had planned to (lazy, lazy).

14 Likes