What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Had shrimp cakes tonight with couscous and roasted asparagus. No pics. But I did photograph this Maker’s Mark Manhattan:

14 Likes

Sorry for your back. Hope you will have a speedy recovery. Mine transformed into a long term problem and everyday a struggle. I try my best these days to avoid sitting too long at the desk…

1 Like

@RedJim and @naf sorry about your bad backs. I hope you feel. better soon. I know how you feel. I have been suffering from a pinched nerve in my back for the past 4 months. I can barely sit for more than 5 minutes and I have to sit for 10 hours for work. I am about to get my 3rd epidural injection in my back in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm.I go to physical therapy a couple of times a week. I take a pillow with me for my back when I go out to restaurants. Wine therapy seems to be the best treatment :grinning: I just bought this exercise ball chair from Amazon. It’s one of those big inflatable yoga balls that they use in pilates that is placed in a chair with a back. It forces you to sit up and helps your posture. It also has a little bounce to it. It looks silly but is pretty comfortable. I just got it but haven’t tried it for a full day’s work yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VK7CEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Tillie’s. Details and pictures are in the below link for anyone that might be interested.

2 Likes

Smoked a prepared corned beef coated in pastrami spices

8CA81F08-2190-46EE-A9AD-15890557FBDA.jpeg

E309BCE5-CCFD-48E7-A601-7BA278B94F46.jpeg

16 Likes

Trying to do something with a pork loin tonight. Not a fan of pork loin (I like the tenderloin better!) but it was buy one get one free! Some ideas here.

So far I sort of dry brined it overnight with berbere spices, and am roasting at 250 with plans for a “reverse sear” if I can’t find something better.

3 Likes

Mapo tofu over some rice.

13 Likes

Feel the same way about that cut of pork. Low & slow definitely the way to go. Made one a while back, rubbed with a dry espresso and cocoa bbq spice. I then wrapped bacon around it - this was while the clay cooker was soaking in water.

We must have gotten lucky with very good pork, because the next one prepared exactly the same was tougher and not as flavorful.

2 Likes

One of my favorites @Mr_Happy - looks delish.

2 Likes

With Aji Amarillo sauce. Took out at 135 according to my thermometer, but still to …tight… Is that a thing?

Husbad said very, VERY good (two verys)…the sauce the best part. I agree that the sauce was the best part.

10 Likes

No cooking for me last few days. Squeeze & X concert (great!) meant dinner out at an Izakaya (very good), then BF and I went out to a new incarnation of a restaurant for review (used to be “edgy” Korean, same owners now turned it into old school Italian. :roll_eyes: It wasn’t great, but we’ll give it a second chance for the review.) and today was an All Taco Saturday - lunch at my sister’s was from a nearby taco truck. my usual faves of tripas and cabeza. dinner was at a friend’s engagement party and they had… a taco bar! al pastor and chicken. Friend made an esquites-type salad which was wonderful. Tacos were good, but the truck’s were better. I’m a little taco’d out. :thinking: Nah, just kidding!

However, There Shall Be Cooking on Sunday: I’ve got frenched pork chops marinating in Fage 5% Greek Yogurt, crushed garlic, and a bunch of other stuff for dinner tomorrow night. Also bought a couple of russets to make melting potatoes. Wedge salad will accompany.

17 Likes

That looks really delicious… what is it?

Thank you! The first picture is peperonata, and the last two are shakshuka (eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce). I sort of posted my ruminations over the course of several hours.

2 Likes

Oh right. I saw you were wanting to make shakshuka. Nice!

1 Like

Hi @biondanonima -

Care to translate in English? I looked up “sonechko” and got something about “learning, wisdom & child’s daycare”, then looked up “Szegdi” and I got a politician. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep! I think Lee has a new book out soon.

I think this is a type of paprika

1 Like

Yum!

I think szeged is a brand of paprika. I have some but cant seem to locate it. They have different kinds and I think that is a town in Hungary too.

2 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face: