What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

I hate vertigo. Have had it show up several times, and the only way I could walk was by touching a wall as I walked. Feel better soon!

I like my quiet days. And today was a good one spent watching cheesy Amazon Prime movies.

Dinner was one of two country pork ribs, simply seasoned with salt, pepper, and a maple brown sugar rub, covered with foil and baked at 350° for about 1-1/2 hours. Uncovered, liquid poured off, then slathered with Dinosaur Roasted Garlic and Honey BBQ sauce, and baked uncovered at 275° until glazed.

Sides were steamed green beans and a leftover half of baked potato. And wine.

12 Likes

Hoping you feel better soon :heart:

Sounds and looks delicious

More butter lettuce salad, this time with DH’s aunt Kate’s french/blue cheese dressing, not shown.

Hens of the woods pasta. Different treatment from usual, and FMPOV too much going on. Give me simple butter. garlic, white wine, shrooms. Anyway…

8 Likes

We had a great dinner at Corso 98 in Montclair. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that might be interested.

2 Likes

Smoked chicken with a corn and pepper medley

11 Likes

Golden Gazpacho!

Last of the tomatoes,

basil, garlic and chives. And “Israeli Feta”!

15 Likes

Stinson Beach spread. First evening was bruschetta i made with the bread fried in olive oil (ala Julia & Julie), and other snacky things. Saturday’s dinner was my Jamaican jerk chicken, marinated since Thurs. night, Trinidadian doubles and channa, Jamaican rice & peas (i used kidney beans), and jerk-rubbed salmon. Others made or brought roasted veggies, pot de creme, and fancy cupcakes. Cocktails, bubbles and wine flowed. A perfect weekend.

Stinson%20bruschetta Stinson%20bubbles
Stinson%20snacky%20dinner Stinson%20jerk%20chicken Stinson%20channa Stinson%20rice%20%26%20peas Stinson%20doubles%201

Stinson%20cocktail

ETA: and last night’s dinner of leftovers:

the pepper sauce was a bit too sweet, not enough heat. couldn’t really think of a way to repurpose, so down the drain it went. :disappointed:

22 Likes

Nice! What’s in the fifth picture? Is that the Channa? The cauliflower looks good; it all does!

My husband prefers his Jamaican “rice and peas” with red or kidney beans. I prefer “peas and rice” with pigeon peas/gungo peas/ gandules. And I do the cooking, so…

Side note.
Bahamian “Peas n’ Rice” vs. “Rice and Peas”

2 Likes

@Linda whit
@naf
thanks. New drugs ordered by new allergist from out of State. He told me to discontinue the medications but difficult to find them, So I preferred to give it more chance. Vertigo disappeared but other side effects are setting in. Have not worked in garden because of allergist.
However. when it was better, I went to work ( cleaning pond and chopping the newly sprout chives like growth which I took out a week ago- have now a new problem, severe pain on muscles. I do not think it is a side effect but it may be from cleaning the pond and or reaching out for baking soda . nah you know, how I came about to have one fo the best kitchen cabinets, but not everything can be stored there. ) So, hopefully, this will pass. Doctor wants me to go to see him every week, for the next 8 weeks, that would mean a whole day of travel. Just got another call for this week’s appointment . If I get bitten by insects, have to cancel appointment and would cost $75.00 . Anyway, local MDs did not help. I hope he is better as he is famous always on TV and radio talk shows

yep, that’s the channa masala. i used turmeric only, no curry powder.

interesting article! i don’t know why i don’t like gandulas, just never have. but I’ve only had green ones, from a can. i wonder why i haven’t seen the brown ones? my rice was definitely Rice and Peas, made with coconut milk and grated ginger. So good!

2 Likes

My understanding is that most pigeon peas are from India, where I believe they are used in dals . I have bought them on occasion frommthkse marketing to Indian consumers, but can now find them locally.

Tuvar or Toor Dal (Pigeon Peas)

For next year;

Pigeon peas: A sweet summer addition to the edible garden

1 Like

@mariacarmen - that looks nothing short of fabulous - you eat and drink very well! Love the pots de creme in those little jars too.

4 Likes

@shrinkrap - I’m sure your gazpacho tasted as fabulous as it looks. Also, gorgeous tomatoes! Ours are still coming on as well as the zucchini and yellow squash. They’ll be gone soon however, as an early fall has settled in

2 Likes

thank you!

beautiful!

1 Like

Tonight it was salmon tail and belly on the smoker. The salmon was seasoned with Red Boat fish sauce and brown sugar over night

Left over corn chowder rounded out the meal

8 Likes

dinner tonight was repeat performance of pan fried porgy till crispy, almost charred but we had roasted butternut squash from the garden roasted with maple sugar, Evoo, S/P , instead of roasted potato with duck fat last night,
Last night, I only had one porgy per person, son likes his so much he thought it was not enough. So, I have 2 porgies for each of us tonight. This reminded him of his days in Ibiza. He likes the porgies medium size, not too big.
They were pan fried with just S/P sprinkled on them till very crisp and almost charred, served with lime. Does not look good but they were very tasty…Took time to be sure I do not accidentally eat a bone as they are quite bony. That is the drawback.

Son already started to nibble on his while I was cooking mine

17 Likes

Pineapple tomato with fresh mozzarella

Cornish pastie with beef gravy

DH didn’t add green onion

More pie, this time, backyard plum

14 Likes