What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

A late, late dinner as I got out of work late before a couple of days off.

Made a meatloaf so I could make a meatloaf sandwich for Mom before her appt. tomorrow in the middle of her midday meal. Didn’t do gravy; just a drizzle of ketchmeup.

Super sour-creamy mashed potatoes with bacon bits and chives (and the PSTOB). Peas alongside…because it’s the LAW to have mashed and peas with meatloaf.

A single glass of wine, since it’s my virtual Friday.

14 Likes

That all looks great! Any tips for your vegetarian mapo tofu? It’s actually on my menu plan for Tim or row, but I hadn’t yet settled on a recipe/preparation.

3 Likes

Great! This seems to be the toddler success week all around!

3 Likes

Bowties with artichoke sauce, spinach

12 Likes

YES…to the peas and mashed… or sometimes some mashed up carrots with a PSTOB which makes it’s way into the spuds…Yumzers!

3 Likes

Last night was grilled chicken breast with a fresh plum sauce, green beans from our garden and rice. The plum sauce was freaking delicious but like nothing I’ve ever had or made.

Tonight is leftovers, but I made a mixed berry pie that’s pretty fab. Can’t wait to have some when it’s fully chilled.

5 Likes

Was just planning to have oven roasted turkey breast with tomatoes, olives etc but surprised when my son and GF came home. Apparently, 3 days at Chincoteague was enough! They left by car and preferred to return home , take the boat out tomorrow to cruise the Chesapeake bay, perhaps anchor somewhere to sleep. Who knows?
So, I defrosted Morey Salmon from Costco ( takes20 minutes), soaked some cellophane noodles, pan fry the salmon, then added EVOO, ginger, garlic, scallions to the fry pan after salmon was plated, added the softened cellphone noodles, the marinade from the salmon, gochuchang in chicken broth till noodles were cooked. ( I like my noodles to have a caramelized crust , which sticks to the bottom of my pan, my dialect it is called Chao Ta Pi . Just like the socarrat of paella, which is the prize in a well made paella. )You will not see this crust in a restaurant as it does not look appetizing although it is the best part of the noodle. In my home during childhood , we fight for it. I turned the crust over when I plated since it does not look that great . Sprinkled a dish of sesame oil and chili crisp depending on the amount of heat one likes. My guest likes the salmon skin but my son’s was gobbled up by my babies yzyMZdJnQVuhK1rJJEySdQ|525x700

babies.

19 Likes

Went to Whole Foods wanting lamb shanks. They had none, so I went with lamb shoulder instead. Braised it in red wine, finished with gremolata and served on top of saffron pecorino orzo in place of risotto.

16 Likes

It took me 50 minutes to drive home. A damn downed tree blocked both lanes on 36 so I had to turn around and drive through rumson to get home. Good looking pork!

3 Likes

Nope, I played this one by ear since the ingredient list is pretty small.

1.5 cups of rice (raw), 1:1 water, minced ginger, minced shallot, 2 heads of baby bok choy chopped, quarter pound of diced pancetta.

Fried the aromatics and pancetta first, then the bok choy, then added the (cooked) rice and a drop of sesame oil off heat.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

The best feeding tips ever come from Ellyn Satter - in a nutshell, “know your role”! As a parent, set the menu and the mealtimes and leave it up to the kids to decide what to eat and how much. Keep putting unfamiliar/less favorite foods on the plate. It’s nice if you can provide at least one food that they like at mealtime. No big pressure, drama, power struggle, bartering, etc. re: trying challenging foods.

We’ve aimed for this, adapted it somewhat, and it seems to be working!

10 Likes

That’s so awesome! I bet it felt good hearing that.

4 Likes

Thanks!

I very loosely follow this: http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/mapo-tofu/

At this point I just wing all the measurements and reference the recipe to make sure I haven’t missed an ingredient. I omit the sesame oil because I use it in the side dishes instead.

For the vegetarian version, I whip up some veggie broth from Better than Bouillon concentrate, add a couple good splashes of soy sauce and Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing), a smidge of sugar, and some potato or corn starch. It’s about 2 cups of liquid when it’s all assembled.

Then I mince two tablespoons each peeled ginger and garlic and chop 3-4 scallions. I soak two Tbsp. salted black (soy) beans, drain, and mince finely.

Cut a block of medium-firm tofu into 2" cubes. Rinse a box of sliced mushrooms (any type will do) and shake off excess water. Heat about 1 Tbsp. neutral oil in a wok on high heat and stir fry just the mushrooms with salt until lightly browned. Remove to a bowl. Add more oil and stir fry the garlic, ginger, and scallions and then add the black beans and a couple Tbsp. Pixian doubanjiang (hot bean paste). Add the tofu, let heat through, then add the broth mixture and reserved mushrooms with their juices. Cook to thicken the sauce and grind some Sichuan peppercorn over and enjoy! Sometimes I also add chopped tianjin peppers or ground red pepper.

6 Likes

I saw this crazy pic of old bridge Park and Ride. Glad you made it home ok!!!

1 Like

Much better than “Mommy, I don’t want THAT”!

2 Likes

Recipe, please?

1 Like

Fantastic. Are you a food blogger?

Many thanks!

Last night’s Indian meal: chili and garlic paratha heated on a tawa, veggie pakora, and roasted curry chicken and cauliflower. Not pictured: additional naan, basmati rice, and paneer saag (it just photographs like hell).

20 Likes

A feast!

1 Like