What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

I’m not going to comment on anything but the above (because as usual everything you’ve posted is fabulous and I don’t want to get a big head or ego). I’m stealing that phrase from you to use in front of our almost 5 year old spring onion who has been known to repeat some unmentionable words at school. SOFA KING Hilarious!

3 Likes

man after my own heart!

1 Like

I wish I could take credit for it, but I heard it many, many years ago on Howard Stern’s radio show. I’m sure it predates that, too! Hope it works with the spring onion!

3 Likes

are those canned or fresh sardines that. you cooked?
No decent fresh sardines in my part of the country
If I find it, I cook it on the plancha
I like Moroccan spicy sardines with rice

Fresh, they were cooked separately from the tart, skin down in a non stick pan with a little of EVOO to have the crunchiness, and put on the cooked tart as a finishing.

Sardine need to be very fresh. They rot too quickly.

we do not have the pleasure of having fresh sardines unless I go to asian stores in nearby Va and even then they are scarce.

Last night was grilled pizza night. Our preferred combo of garlic oil, San Marzanos, fontina, asiago and parm with a little chiffonade of basil. Tonight will be Greekish panzanella to use up some of those Earthbox tomatoes.

(A gratuitous picture of the cool worktable my husband made for me. It adjusts from pastry slab height to table height to counter height. Very nice for pizza and pie crust.)

14 Likes

that pizza looks phenomenal, and how lucky to have that worktable! Nice to have a handy hubs around (my dude is super handy but we have no space to add anything in our apt.)

4 Likes

I hear you on that. We have a really small house (12 ft. wide!) and got rid of the kitchen table to make room for the worktable. With the adjustable height, it works fine for casual meals. Then we got a cool Italian coffee table that converts to a full-sized dining table for when we want more dining space.

2 Likes

nice! there’s also the factor that since we rent, we can’t make any real, major changes…

1 Like

early dinner today as son is leaving for 5 days touring beaches with GF from Netherland
we had nice breakfast with croissant, poached eggs, cheese and bacon( for them)
I used cherry tomatoes cooked in EVOO until they were half way to bursting , then added garlic and herbs from garden.
Added 1 lb of red Patagonia shrimp, a tin of anchovy, juice of a lemon
then added this to vegetable rotelle pasta for 5 cooked with saved rinds of my reggino parmegiano till al dente.
roasted 3 sweet red pepperoni top of stove till they were charred, peeled and added to dish
served with freshly grated RP, and Costco’s pesto.
Frontera red wine

9 Likes

UPLOADED THIS BUT IT DID NOT SHOW UP

8 Likes

Simple salad consisting of local corn cut from the cob, very ripe tomatoes, cukes, and cilantro “dressed” with only Penzeys roasted Szechuan pepper-salt. B topped his with some leftover salmon. I stopped by a local Middle Eastern bakery (Magic Bites) for cheese and potato borek and simit to accompany our RI-style clear clam chowder from a RI producer called Blount. I doctored it up with more potato, corn, and chilies. Went very well with the simit (we were too full to try the borek…there’s always tomorrow).

13 Likes

I no longer can fit into my slacks…gained weight just from reading about this!

2 Likes

Our friend who’s solo parenting her one-year-old joined us again for dinner. We had steamed cabbage-mushroom buns with dipping sauce, vegetarian mapo tofu, and garlic sesame broccoli over cauli-jasmine rice, with orange sesame cucumber salad the side.

My husband made puff pastry turnovers with homemade Quark, blueberries, and apricots.

16 Likes

TJs Ricotta & Lemon Zest Ravioli with a quick lemon & white wine sauce. A crusty buttered roll alongside.

It was quite YUM.

14 Likes

Whaaat? Nice!

7 Likes

Decent tomatoes with excellent young red onion and fresh mozzarella

Chinese noodles with pork, green onions and soy

13 Likes

Right , Timpano . Looks like I know what I’m making for Thanksgiving. Going all the way on this . For sure Big Night will be on . Also some Pavorotti, some Bocelli, Tony Bennett…

7 Likes

Wow, props to anyone trying to do a Timpano ala Big Night!!!

3 Likes