What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

I feel like lately I’m barely treading water sometimes and cooking anything is worthy of some trophy (I’m waiting patiently. Rumor has it that it could be shipped in 16-35+ years. Fingers crossed!!!) Hats off to anyone ever who has trained another person to use a toilet. In more related news:

Today I was “off” and made a delightful brie and peach egg thing for breakfast. I can’t even call it an omelette because I can’t ever get it to look like one. Dinner was pizzas. Sausage broccoli onion pepper for the husband. Mushroom broccoli onion for me with lots of fresh mozz. No pics of course!

14 Likes

Yum!!!

That looks great. Can be used in so many ways

The Proverbial Shit Ton of Butter!

2 Likes

I only had about half of these ingredients, but it still turned out really well. https://food52.com/recipes/33947-momofuku-ramen

More specifics shortly…

3 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up. You also don’t have minions.

1 Like

Oh yeah!

@TheCookie Here is your badge!

:mega:

1 Like

I’m told that trophy might be grand children, but you didn’t hear it from me.

3 Likes
  • 2 3x6 in pieces of konbu - I subbed a bonito/kombu “tea bag” like this

• 6 quarts water – didn’t measure - just enough to cover generously and then some

• 2 cups dried shiitakes mushroom, soaked for 30 min and rinsed - just 8-10 mushrooms, didn’t presoak, just chucked in PC

• 1 four-pound chicken, either a whole bird or legs/thighs - just the smoked chicken carcass with a bit of meat

• 5 pounds meaty pork neck bones - omitted

• 1 pound smoky bacon - omitted

• 1 bunch of scallions

• 1 medium onion, halved

• 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped

• 1/2 cup sake - subbed Shao Xing wine

• 1/2 cup mirin

• 1 cup light soy sauce

• 2 tablespoons sugar

• 1 three-pound slab pork belly - I cut the rind off and threw it in the pressure cooker in place of the bacon

I didn’t follow the recipe steps - just put all of the above in the Instant Pot for 45 min on high. Then strained the stock, de-stemmed, sliced and reserved the mushrooms for soup garnish, cooked noodles in the broth (in a strainer basket), and served up with poached eggs, chopped scallion greens, corn, edamame, togarashi, furikake, and the sliced roasted pork belly.

• 1/4 cup kosher salt

• 1/4 cup sugar

7 Likes

Tomato with goat cheese marinated in chili and citrus oil

Local halibut with Bearnaise, garlicky greens

14 Likes

:grin::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

All sounds so excellent! Hang in there. It’s worth it!!

2 Likes

I have been giving friend tomatoes, and in return, she gave me a bottle of her tomato sauce.
So, dinner tonight would be chicken meatballs in tomato sauce.
This is my first time to make chicken meatballs, so, I copied various people’s recipe, added my twist, turned out excellent , Using 3 bs of skinless boneless chicken thighs which I grind, cooked at 350 degrees oven for 25 minutes. I made these meatballs for dinner with lots to freeze, and ate quite a few already. Here is my recipe for each lb of ground chicken thigh. I will omit pictures of the pasta with meat sauce this may be getting too long . Main thing to convey is that it came out pretty brown , crunchy on the outside and moist inside without having to panfry to brown them .I did turn them over halfway.
1 egg
3 Tablespoon of soy sauce
Dash of tabasco
S/P
1/2 c finely chopped red onions
Garlic cloves, finely minced
2-3 tablespoon of Evoo
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup panko

Dash garlic powder ( as hard to distribute garlic cloves evenly)
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan or more

17 Likes

I’m training one. Shhhh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Someone brought these to a music night we were having at the museum I work at. Pickle slice topped with a thick slab of cheddar, grain mustard, and a chive. Very easy to make, but what a combination of flavors and textures. It was delicious!

16 Likes

feesh tacosssss… yum!

3 Likes

wow, that combo! i would never have thought that would work, but why not? good makings for a sandwich there!

5 Likes

Bearnaise… one of my favorite sauces, and I’ve never made it. I’m emulsion challenged. :unamused:

2 Likes

Thanks, @shrinkrap & @ccj for inspiring, and @Harters for sharing the Nigel Slater recipe for preserved tomatoes! After dinner tonight (out for a review, new noodle place that has ramen and pho, AND dim sum, AND banh mi, AND vietnamese rice and noodle dishes. First visit, I had chicken ramen and Viet imperial rolls, BF had his favorite vermicelli with grilled pork, and pot stickers. A ton of food came home wih us, but everything was pretty tasty. and cheap and a block from us. So, win-win.), I came home and started the preserved tomatoes. I’m taking liberties, of course. i didn’t peel any of the tomatoes, and I only seeded the Early Girls and the Heirloom, not the cherries. Also, no caster sugar, so I used a lot less than called for and it was golden brown sugar (ulp!). it smells crazy good in here already, and it’s only been 45 minutes.

12 Likes

Lovely, I can smell the aroma just looking at the picture
I do not peel tomatoes either
I find that to be time consuming when I made my first batch of tomato pie., wander also if dropping it in hot water and shocking made my tomatoes a bit too watery?

4 Likes