What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

That will probably be just as irritating to the peeps who are irritated. But you’re a nice negotiator. :hugs:

3 Likes

Christina, excellent point…but for me I enjoy anyone who cooks one night then eats in a restaurant the next, etc… posts it here…There are some "purist who only post their cooking experiences, like my self, but then there is the basic premise “What’s for Dinner”… Since most of us do cook and post their actual meals, so why not include all of “our” WFD experiences…
My mom is 90, and if I asked her WFD…she usually says …reservations…
I am having friends tonight for a meal, and I will post my dishes for the board…but last night I had a simple Tuna Ceviche, and some Al Pastor tacos in a great local Peruvian/Mexican restaurant… that’s me…

6 Likes

Keep on posting. @ChristinaM is right. And you are right, too. The flexibility on Hungry Onion is what I like about it. It was the stiffness that turned me off on Chowhound.

9 Likes

Cookie…I am glad you are here…You are a perfect fit with that kind of open mind…

2 Likes

E…Keep doing what you have been posting both globally and locally.
I appreciate your effort to do both…to the benefit of someone who maybe visiting New Jersey, an they can fall back on you for some great suggestions…(or maybe 20 of us showing up at you house where Mrs. P prepares some supper looking dishes (lol))))))))

6 Likes

Thanks @bcc @PHREDDY and @TheCookie! I appreciate it. I’ll abide by whatever the HO police suggest :blush:
@PHREDDY I would have loved to have seen the pictures from your Peruvian restaurant.

6 Likes

I vote keep it all under one thread :slight_smile:

9 Likes

One of the greatest benefits of the dinner thread is that it is a wellspring of ideas for all of us. I will probably see a restaurant meal here more than I would opening up a regional post. And seeing how the pros are handling a product is always educational.

6 Likes

This time of year the California farmer’s markets are just overflowing with great stuff. Enjoy.

1 Like

This is in reference to ChristinaM’s post upstream. What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

(Moderator hat off)

I’ve always viewed the WFD thread as the community diner or bar. Everyone is welcome, it doesn’t matter where you are from. It’s a chance to touch base, see how everyone is doing and share a little about your actual life if you care to. It is also the place to be inspired, learn and share our ideas of what’s for dinner.

Dining away from home is a part of this. Be it restaurant or at the table of family or friends. So I’m interested and enjoy reading about these experiences too.

I feel WFD is where connections are made and true community begins. It provides extended relationships for those whose local area does not have active regional participation. It widens the connections of those who also post on regional or special interest boards. I’m known to wander off topic and enjoy the meander our conversations sometimes take.

(Moderator hat on)

As a mod I try to look at posts with an eye to the future. Is the info posted transitory in nature or does it have the depth to become a resource? It can be tricky to determine when/if the thread should be divided. Each HO uses the site in their own specific way. We are still small and growing so I try not to move something too soon and cause it to get lost. Examples are request/suggestions/reviews for travel planning, detailed restaurant reviews, in depth discussion of specific recipes/techniques/diets. Each of these categories has relevance beyond this months dinner talk. If these subgroups of conversation are put into their own thread they become more easily found in future searches - both internally by HO’s and externally by folks who don’t know about us.

A large number of folks here (mods included) experienced moderation which seemed irrational, heavyhanded and often draconian in nature elsewhere. SCK set things up here loose enough to let the site grow organically. I’m happy to say that most of the moderation I do is squelching spam in the wee hours and editing posts at members request. Once in awhile someone takes issue with a post and we try to redirect before things get heated. That’s when it gets uncomfortable since I may have a personal pov that differs from the “keep the peace” hat I’m wearing at the time. We are all still learning and trying to make carefully considered decisions when new things develop.

16 Likes

Awww… thanks @PHREDDY!

Yah, I noticed the “What’s for Dinner?” part, but not that it’s in “Home Cooking”… Oops.

I will admit the big reason I like this thread and HO in general is, yes, you all post the occasional burgers and leftovers, but mostly you put real effort into the meals you prepare. I grew up in a small vacation town and most restaurants closed during the winter. I learned to cook. But living in L.A. has made me lazy. Why stretch myself when it’s just down the street. This thread is inspiring. So, to @ChristinaM’s point, I will try not to fall back on my habit of posting a lot of restaurant meals… maybe a just a few. :wink:

P.S. I :heart: Your Mom.

5 Likes

True, it helps me a lot.

2 Likes

The thread is WFD?
Some members travel as part of their job, or for vacation and of course post what they ate in a restaurant.
Others go out more often ,post what they ate for dinner in a restaurant.
I enjoy reading and looking at pictures posted, learn a bit from how the pros are handling a product quoting pilgrim .
Members who travel often bringing post pictures bringing back childhood memories of food from my roots
Am also a culprit re tick discussion as I used to post different food cooked but since Oct’2018 can no longer eat red meat sec to tick bite and I guess when I do cook red meat from legged animals with hoofs , I explain it is not for me but for son’s friends and guests.
I vote leave it as is.

9 Likes

Certainly something to consider, as the WFD is in a wider “Cooking” sub-forum. I post restaurant reviews to the appropriate regional board and, on occasions, mention on WFD that we’re going out for dinner. On even rarer occasions, I’ve added a link on WFD to the review and that may be something worthy of wider consideration.

6 Likes

That’s thoughtful, insightful and effective. HO is lucky to have such a mod! You have know idea… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

How about when posting restaurant meals in WFD, make it as brief as possible since it is not a restaurant review. There are the grey areas of store bought eat at home meal, should we limited that too?

Although I agree with Harters that WFD is under cooking discussions, I think highlight should be the home cook meal. So my stand is there can be restaurant meal but with moderation.

5 Likes

Restaurants queries, I think, should be made in regional restaurants section and not in WFD. FYI, there were some restaurants questions, after the month was finished, they were moved to the regional board for future reference.

5 Likes

Meatn3 & Naf,

Meatn3, that was a very well stated post.

To move on, and acknowledge what I have encountered as a new member, is that the reference to important restaurant data, seems to get lost in WFD. How can I find a restaurant, let me say Indo Chine in WFD ? However, as Naf pointed out, if the Indo Chine Restaurant Recommendation is posted in The European Restaurant Section and a search is done, this type of Restaurant venue shall be found.

To digress, many years ago ( a decade ago), I was a member on a food fórum, ruled by old style dacronian mods, and it was truly unpleasant and in my point of view, totally negative to the many of the members of that Forum. As a matter of fact, I would consider it “abusive cyber insulting” …

I have not seen this here on this fórum.

To get back on track, WFD is quite a highly popular and frequented section on Fórum and by placing Restaurants in the Restaurant Sections, could be a good idea for growth of viewership and member participation in those regional & International restaurant threads.

Perhaps, a poll or some type of voting system is a possible & good idea to see how the long standing members´ viewpoints on this topic and to analyse the figures and number of visitors on each of these 2 entities.

Goodnight … 1am …

5 Likes

Personally, I like this approach. Here could be posted a synopsis of the meal, but maybe the detailed photos and full description of the restaurant and service go in the restaurant thread.

It’s not a huge deal, and not something that will make or break the experience here for me - just a preference. But if the majority wants to keep everything here whether it’s homecooking or not? OK. I mean, food is food :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Why make unnecesary complications? Communication is communication, whatever the title of the forrum.

7 Likes