What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

good luck with your mama…

2 Likes

Bavette steak, saute spuds, green beans. And a big dollop of what we Britons call “French mustard”. Not Dijon - which we call Dijon. But a unique product which is akin to the actual French “Moutarde de Bordeaux” - which I never actually seen in France, not even in big supermarkets (but then I’ve only visted northern France). It’s dark and slightly sweet.

As for dessert, Mrs H is making an egg custard. I asked her what that was and got a reply that she didnt know but would find out. So I asked will we like it. And got one of “those” looks in response. I’m sure it’ll be delicious, darling.

7 Likes

work of art indeed and I bet taste fabulous!

1 Like

Thank you @ccj :blush: Yes, it tasted as great as it looked :slightly_smiling_face: It was both savory and sweet.

1 Like

Indeed no, never heard of it. Husband grew up in Bordeaux never heard of it neither. Tried to look it up and only find this:

Moutarde de Bordeaux contains white and black seeds without shell, with vinegar, sugar, tarragon and other spices, it is dark in color.

It has sweet notes it is not a “strong” mustard.

www.guide-resto.info/les-moutardes-de-france

2 Likes

Meals from Tuesday to yesterday.

Melon with Savoy dried ham

Salad with greens, mango and home grown cucumber - very crunchy
Roasted pork with cider and honey

Wednesday was aubergine tomato cheese gratin from freezer and red curry garlic prawns

Thursday night started with roasted eggplant with black garlic sauce, deep fried garlic and chili with basil, recipefrom Ottolenghi’s Plenty More book.

Followed with a recipe from my favourite Morocco cookbook by Jeff Koehler, salty-sweet lamb glazed shoulder with pistachio and raisins m’rouzia.

Both dishes were good. Like the subtle saffron in the lamb dish.

Yesterday started the fridge cleaning. Carrot, radish salad with kaffir lime zest

Followed by gnocchi, tuna, goat cheese, quail eggs, lime juice and zest.

15 Likes

That killer egg! Your burgers are delicious!

1 Like

Reminded me once hubby made tomato salsa pasta, well with sugar water instead of salty water. :joy:

3 Likes

Well, it’s a baked set custard. Lovely texture but we both agreed it wasnt very sweet. Mrs H then mentions that the recipe came from the only cookbook I have that was my mothers. It was published in 1952 while the UK was still experiencing food rationing after World War 2. Sugar ddint come off ration until 1953 (and meat remained rationed until 1954).

8 Likes

Thanks @naf!

1 Like

We had Japanese curry with chicken, onions, baby tricolor potatoes, and carrots.

Someone had vanilla ice cream with homemade blueberry syrup for dessert.

20 Likes

I like onion’s silicone table mat, I’ve the same one! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Have been too busy with home improvement projects to post (or cook) much of late, but I have been keeping up with all of your lovely summer meals! I finally had a day off from chasing contractors and decided to cook something more interesting than bacon and eggs - pan seared pork tenderloin medallions in a creamy herb sauce (butter, garlic, sage, thyme, lots of fresh cracked pepper, splash of white wine and some cream cheese for body). Sauteed shredded Brussels sprouts with a splash of lime juice alongside. Delicious, and nice to be reminded that I AM a good cook and capable of more than scrambled eggs!

8 Likes

Not everyone is capable of scrambled eggs!

3 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Laurel and Sage in Montclair, NJ. Besides the usually awesome beet salad and soft shell crab we had the charred wild boar bacon salad with bittersweet greens, rocket arugula, trevisiano, pecorino Romano, toasted walnuts, in a balsamic vinaigrette. We also had a beautiful heirloom tomato panzanella salad with beautifully ripe nectarines. For an entree I had the melt in your mouth bison flank steak with a bordelaise sauce, with sides of crispy vegetable medley fries and sautéed spinach with garlic. The steak went great with Mollydooker The Boxer shiraz.

11 Likes

Lol yup. His other one made for kids fell apart

1 Like

Egg isn’t easy, even for good cooks.

I see a future baker!

1 Like

OK, I have to say I’m quite pleased with my dinner tonight.

Chicken thighs, seasoned with salt and pepper, were pan-seared in a combination of olive oil and butter for about 5 minutes on each side. Removed from the pan, about a half cup of chopped onions added to the butter mixture, then a bit of minced garlic for about 20 seconds before adding a sploosh of dry sherry. It was reduced, then a half cup of homemade chicken stock added.

Chicken was returned to the pan, along with about 1-1/2 cups of halved small tomatoes, fresh thyme leaves, and a good drizzle of honey. Covered and simmered for 20 minutes, then the cover removed to reduce the sauce…maybe another 10 minutes? Halved (or quartered, depending on size) fresh black figs added for the last 5 minutes.

Herbed orzo and steamed green beans alongside, as well as wine.

It was damn good.

15 Likes

Yup. You’ve been married a good long while. :rofl:

2 Likes