What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Great meals! Dessert aint shabby, either.

1 Like

Fancy!

Whole steamed fish, chinese style has always been a favorite in our household esp with summer flounder or fluke. Aside from soy sauce, I usually have the fish monger make a slit on the side so I can stuff the cavity , bone in, and stuff both the cavity and head as well as scatter the whole fish with ginger, garlic, spring onions, soy sauce, cider vinegar, splash of shaoxing wine, small amount of mirin, dried fermented black beans, fresh ground pepper and sesame oil .
When we were away for 9 months , my husband (rip) asked me to bring my fish steamer with me as I have 2 that I use so the whole fish is left intact. By steaming it that way , there is plenty of juice that comes out and really is great served with rice.
Too bad, this fish is not available in the county I live in but Calvert, fish are often fillet, not whole.

12 Likes

@ccj

Also whole fish here, a mullet of 1.5 kg, cooked in papillote foil. Garnished with lemon, shallot, spicy sausage 'Nduja, sage and olive oil. In oven for 30 minutes, 200°C. It was good, too big for 2 of us to finish it. Actually hesitated with sage, but matched well with the heat of 'Nduja.

We had a gazpacho: pickled piment, fresh onion, cucumber, tomato and balsamic vinegar. Pickle piment added that twist that made the soup special.

16 Likes

No SR…you were born in Brooklyn!

1 Like

Wait, Brooklyn isn’t in NYC?! :thinking:

Even NJ is NYC for me. LOL!

3 Likes

@ccj and @naf those whole fish look amazing :yum: I can almost smell @ccj fish from the description.

3 Likes

People are either from Da Bronx, Brooklyn or NYC! (Brooklyn people are special NY’ers)

1 Like

You mean Manhattan = NYC, right? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A wee drink before I cook some chicken schnitzel tonight…

11 Likes

and Queens, as well as Staten Island…

Thx for the geography lesson.

Beef Bulgogi over rice:

14 Likes

I knew I liked you

2 Likes

Jambalaya with chicken, shrimp, and Texas beef smoked sausage. Leftover salads and steamed asparagus with ponzu butter.

17 Likes

:smiley:

Looks delicious! Love jambalaya!

3 Likes

Not really (lol) just that we NuYawrkers are territorial…And thus my comments and why I love this forum… All is taken in great spirit and with the fact that if anyone here experiences anything bad…we, and I say we all rush to them… with something lifting, even though many of us have never met each other !!!

4 Likes

Here it is. Chicken schnitzel, mushroom gravy, German potato salad. A nice low calorie meal. :smile:

17 Likes

Spicy succotash of fresh corn and green beans topped with pan-seared scallops.

@naf, I think n’duja was the theme of the day because I used it to add a spicy note to the succotash. Would do this again.

17 Likes