What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Fried chicken, corn on the cob, Mrs H’s cornbread. And a big dollop of HP BBQ sauce.

5 Likes

Sorry - they weren’t that variety. Hubby thought he planted poblanos, but these have no heat at all and are pale yellow-green. I subbed yellow pepper plus habañero for the aji amarillo in the recipe.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s unnecessary complications - but it does allow others to find info about those restaurants when searching at a later time. Someone who lives in NJ isn’t going to search the entirety of HO for a restaurant in Perth Amboy…they’re going to search the New Jersey board. And if a phenomenal meal was posted on WFD, the review and pictures won’t be seen by later users.

Which is why I suggested the actual ‘review’ or dinner and pics be posted on the appropriate locale board, but a linky-link and brief description can be posted here on WFD.

3 Likes

Your meal looks heavenly, Eli @paryzer.

I always enjoy reading about my former home state’s restaurants in my old stomping grounds of northern Jersey. Things have definitely changed since I left in 1983…or maybe my parents (and later I, when I was out on my own?) couldn’t afford the “nice restaurants” that I’m sure were out there. I’ll have to ask Mom the name of the (probably closed) seafood restaurant that was my parents’ favorite - and the first place I was served an alcoholic drink at a restaurant :::whenIwas16yobutIwaswithmyparentssothebartenderdidn’tcareandbesides…itwas1976::: :wink: I thought it was a big deal having an “expensive meal” of seafood vs. going to the a local pub for steak or a burger and fries.

5 Likes

Good looking pizza…but OH THAT STOVE! :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

1 Like

Linking that thread here for those who want to read it, respond to it, be jealous of it. LOL

Everything you say is correct, but conversations tend to veer off in various directions. The last thing I need is some Marssy or Pat Sully rapping me on the knuckles. And besides, when someone is searching for specific information, the search function is the way to go.

1 Like

Again, if not posted on the locale thread, the search function is useless.

And HO mods don’t rap knuckles. They just move that portion of the thread to the appropriate board.

1 Like

Much as I am in favour of restaurant reviews being posted to their regional board (I just think it’s tidier to have that protocol), HO’s search function works across all boards. So, if I search on, say, “Vancouver” (as i’m planning to visit the city), I might well get slightly different results if I searched forum-wide as opposed to regional board only. The problem is that my instinct is only to search the regional board, becuase that’s where I’d expect to find stuff.

2 Likes

I was unaware that HOs boards are searchable forum-wide. (Although with a “Vancouver” search forum-wide you’d get both Washington State and British Columbia, Canada! LOL)

I guess posting the actual review on the regional board is “cleaner” to me and, as you said, many like yourself are more inclined to search the regional board vs. forum-wide.

There are many other boards on this site. Moving regional specific posts to the appropriate board can help grow that area. When a board has no activity it becomes effectively invisible. Moving posts where most would logically search for them has many benefits. When this is done there does remain a notation with a link to the new home. This notation is made where the original post was and allows those interested to find it.

Guiding a new site is much like gardening. You can let things go willy-nilly but eventually it may become so overgrown that few will have the desire to try to explore. Or you can have a plan that allows for growth yet still maintains clear pathways. Transplanting and careful pruning are tools which help each area achieve it’s potential.

8 Likes

And with some other towns/cities, several more hits. Try “Manchester” and you’d get my regional centre and potentially hits in Australia, Canada, Jamaica, Bolivia, Suriname and 33 in the USA (and I’ve visited passed through three of them in New England)

2 Likes

I love the idea of Hungry Onion as a garden! Appropriate for the forum’s name. :smiley: (And I do like those notation pointers as well!)

3 Likes

Me too.

Does this mean I can spray weedkiller on the Brussels sprouts?

Please?

2 Likes

Linda, I hope you didn’t think that I was making a comparison, whether explicit or implicit, between Hungry Onion and That Other Place. And my mention of Marssy and Pat was an attempt at humor.

1 Like

Please do not understand that I was complaining about anything on this site. I was not. My point was simply that on a site like this it is impossible to keep everything properly categorized, try as one will. So you just have to live with it.

Once you have read and signed off on the material safety data sheet plus received your secret decoder ring you can submit your request in triplicate! :innocent:

3 Likes

Dammit. I’ve been retired so long I’d forgotten about “health and safety” and, in particular the UK’s “Control of Substances Hazardous to Health” regulations. COSHH used to be the bane of my life when I worked in purchasing.

That pretty much just leaves weeding by hand…not a bad task when the day is pretty!

Actually I always weed by hand as the garden is almost organic (yes, a I know that’s like being a bit pregnant). Spent this afternoon cutting the grass, deadheading and a bit of weeding. It’s a holiday in the UK (although that doesnt really bother retirees) - and the country has hit its highest ever temperature for the August holiday. Cooled off a bit now, so dinner on the patio.

3 Likes