What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Damn, that looks good!

1 Like

I reached into the dwindling veggie burger supply last night. Black bean burgers with chipotle mayo and garden tomatoes. Sweet potato fries on the side. Simple and satisfying. Too much cheese, just the way I like it. And plenty of wine to wash it down.

Time to replenish the freezer stash of veggie burgers.

9 Likes

Gotz all of the hairs on the head cut.
Good visit with Mom.

Dinner had to be an easy, quick one as I got home later than expected.

A bacon cheeseburger, Alexia seasoned potato puffs, and a chopped salad of French Breakfast radishes, English cucumber, yellow bell pepper and a couple of my baby tomatoes, tossed with a lemon vinaigrette.

Vodka, lemonade and cranberry juice as the libation.

16 Likes

we love those Alexia sesoned potato puff
Have to remember I have some in freezer.

1 Like

Prawn and andouille jambalaya.

Sliced tomatoes, sliced peaches, 18hr bread, blackberry pie.

14 Likes

We had another fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey.
We shared a couple of excellent appetizers of sautéed garlic shrimp with crispy shallots and chili (split portion pictured), and creamy burrata with fresh ripe farmers market tomatoes and fresh basil.
For entrees I had beautifully charred grilled loin lamb chops with a confit garlic rosemary jus and farro. Mrs. P had the halibut (not pictured). The lamb chops went great with Mollydooker The Boxer shiraz. For dessert we had a fresh melt in your mouth coconut cake with caramel sauce and fresh blueberries and strawberries (split portion pictured).

13 Likes

Son’s GF arrived today from Holland. Passport and custom took 3.5 hours!
So, they had late lunch in DC, asked me to make a tomato pie again for dinner.
I am not sure what time they want to eat since lunch was so late, so I poached chicken breast, made chinese dipping sauce ( saute ginger, garlic, spring onions in olive oil, spread it over chicken, then in same wok, saute more of the same, add regular soy sauce, dark soy sauce, shiao xing wine, a dash of tabasco, white pepper, mirin and sesame oil, came to a soft boil. ) Left a jar of asaro organic Castelvetrano pitted olives and cherry for dessert . They are drinking gin and tonic now.
I ate a 36 ounce jar of the olives in 2 days. They are. yummy!!! Regularly 6.99 at Costco , on sale till tomorrow for $4.99,. Asked my son to buy 12. jars today!!! It is not salty, slightly vinegary and crisp!
this is what Alex Delany has to say about this brand of olive

That is a fraction of cost elsewhere. Problem with Costco is that one gets addicted to a product but often, they may. not carry it again for a while that is why I hoard them today.

19 Likes

Fabulous.

1 Like

Those are my favorite olives , hands down. So great .

2 Likes

Our Meat Cutter, Handsome Son #3, provided us with T Bones of the proper thickness. The Weber did the rest.

19 Likes

We went to Auberge De Soleil.

Because there was an available reservation. I know; right?

21 Likes

Simply irresistible.

1 Like

Grasss fed filets, pan seared then finished with butter, garlic, rosemary, for 7 minutes in the oven. Stewed green beans (onion, garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne, salt and a can of tomatoes) and sourdough baguette. Wine. This all turned out really good.

20 Likes

Sous-vide bone-in pork chop with mustard cream sauce and some Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar and shallots.

15 Likes

Whoa, that looks excellent!

2 Likes

I love Castelvetranos! They are so buttery and mild - remind me of brined avocado almost.

It strikes me your son is very lucky to have a mom taking such good care of him! You spoil him and his guests.

4 Likes

Gorgeous. California or Italy? :wink:

2 Likes

Wow! Beautiful view. Now that is the way to dine al fresco :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Descriptions, please. Don’t stop now…

1 Like

That is in Napa California; actually Rutherford, on the Silverado trail. We didn’t stay overnight, but the rooms are about $1,000.00 a night.

Yesterday at 1:00 was a brunch fixed price menu. In the picture I’m having a duck confit hash with slow cooked egg, and husband is having heirloom tomato rissotto. I started with oysters, he started with corn soup. Of course the wine list was extensive; on a tablet! I had a Pinot Gris…after the mimosa.

The food and service is excellent, but it’s really about the view of Napa valley.

12 Likes