What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Yes! Sunday nights are always easy night. Whether homemade pizza or a sub, but always on a paper plate.

2 Likes

Freezer diving? When can I try? :smile:

1 Like

@Harters, the best egg custards are not too sweet.

Veering off topic, we have become enamored with Asian, both Chinese and Japanese, savory egg custards, topped with a brief kiss of soy sauce, sesame oil and scallion. A lovely way to start a formalish dinner.

2 Likes

I have been totally off feed for over a week. Nothing sounds good, no interest in cooking. Nursery food tonight was a bit of greens and “mac, cheese and tomato”.

Honest confession, I tossed the greens, had thirds on the mac and cheese.

12 Likes

Not posting as very busy with garden ( weeds, vines) and also visitor from Amsterdam. So, they either eat out often or stay out for the past 3 weekends in the boat, cooking at the beach. When they return home, they are always in a rush to eat, so picture not taken .
Dinner tonight is adobo chicken ( without pork)
Picture was not taken as I cooked it last night and was in fridge, awaiting their return from 3 days out in the boat with my 2 poms
Son left with GF another friend and the 2 poms. Returned home with 4 additional guest. Good thing I made a big pot of chicken adobo.
I made a zucchini pie, using Pillsbury recipe. A little twist, that would be caramelizing the onion before adding the zucchini and instead of 2 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp butter with EVOO . I also added preroasted garlic in EVOO and some fresh basil and parsley from garden.
I had a small piece, it was excellent although it was a bit watery. My technique of lining the bottom of the pie with slices of danish havarti cheese did not prevent the bottom from being soggy but the guest loved it and some of them sprinkled the dehydrated cherry tomatoes on top.
T

hey were not very hungry as son brought a ton of food to cook at the beach and had breakfast in a local restaurant as usual.

13 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Fin Raw Bar and Kitchen in Montclair. We shared several appetizers including steamed bao buns containing slow braised short ribs and spicy kimchi. It had a nice kick to it. The bun was a little hard, so I just scooped it out of the bun. Less calories :slightly_smiling_face:
We also had an excellent special of Thai green curry mussels, with coconut milk, ginger, basil, and toasted peanuts. Our 3rd appetizer was crispy spring rolls with shrimp and lobster, with a spicy mustard dipping sauce.
For entrees I had a bronzed swordfish with roasted vegetables and a chickpea puree. Mrs. P had the Shanghai shrimp and lobster with a ginger curry sauce. We had Cooper and Thief red blend to drink.

13 Likes

A late addition: my BF is doing that whole keto thing. Surprising him with these keto cheesey cauliflower “breadsticks”. While FAR from low fat, it lacks the enormous amount of carbs such a dish normally would have.

14 Likes

Dinner was a partial bust. I rubbed a turkey thigh I had in the freezer with Old Bay & Slap Yo Mama (the hot version), butter and chopped scallions under the skin, and then roasted. made a take on a NYT recipe for a Viet-style tomato salad with nuoc cham dressing, but I added nectarines to a beautiful heirloom tomato. Also, figs that i halved and broiled a bit, topped with French feta, and a reduction of raspberry vinegar, honey, and basil over the top. and COTC with TPSTOB.

Corn was great, salad was great, figs were great. but the turkey was friggin AWFUL - freezer burn is a real thing, I’m hear to tell you. tasted funky with a rubbery texture. Neither one of us ate any of it after the first bite. Blechh. Good thing we’d had our usual fries brunch so we weren’t starving for dinner.

15 Likes

After a blow out weekend. Super lazy Sunday dinner . Grilled fake cheese sandwich with sun dried tomatoes, and smoked Turkey. sides. Cheers.

15 Likes

AKA American?

1 Like

You never know what you might find. Usually some odd convenience food purchased in a haze of exhaustion. Or two-year-old vacuum bag of black raspberries. Or paté. You know, the usual… :rofl:

5 Likes

Mrs H found rag puddings, oven chips and peas, So that’s WFD. Lots of malt vinegar, of course.

3 Likes

Rag puddings? Like this?

Traditionally, exactly that. Although these are commerically made ones so I suspect they just steam the pies in a mould.

They’re like the much more well known “steak pudding”, which was always cooked in a mould. But a rag pudding is a very localised affair, mainly associated with the town of Oldham , which is in the north east of our metro area. Even with the commerical product, I doubt whether its even reliably available throughout the metro area, let alone elsewhere. I presume the cloth was originally used by poor people who would not have small basins or moulds for the more common steak pudding.

The commercial rag pudding is a single portion and is pillow shaped. Whereas the countrywide steak pudding is more conical, as this photo:

2 Likes

Sunday dinner was meatloaf. This was 1lb ground turkey and 1lb ground beef, all mixed with oatmeal, sauteed veggies (onion, carrot, zucchini, minced jalapeno , soy sauce, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, parsley, and lots of black pepper. Brushed with sriracha/ketchup before baking. I formed two meatloafs and stuck one in the freezer. Side was a veggie risotto.

12 Likes

Meat loaf’s not shabby but that risotto…!

1 Like

I’m gonna’ start doing this.

I do it all the time - 3-4 heads of garlic at a time, let it cool down, squish out the soft garlic, and mash it up with a fork. You can freeze in set amounts (tsp, Tbsp?) on thin strips of waxed paper about 1-2 inches apart. When frozen, fold it up (still on the waxed paper) and put in a Ziploc freezer bag back into the freezer. Then just cut off the amount you need later.

OR you can store in a small Tupperware container in the freezer. I find the Midget sizes perfect for a couple of Tbsp. Looks like they now call them “Minis”. (And you can find other colors and quantities on eBay.)

https://www.tupperware.com/tupperr-minis-ws19.html

5 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Speaking of sons and guests. What do you do when your plan is to spend the day vegging, but your sons decide they’re coming over with friends to watch the UFC fight? I’m not quite as inventive. No Adobo. No Savory Pie.

Bowls of Chips and a Giant Pasta Salad w/Everything.

Rigatoni (all we had) Frozen Peas, Scallions, Fresh & Sundried Tomatoes, Jalapeño, Smoked Gouda. Dressing - Mayo, Vegenaise, Lime, Chili Pepper, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning, Sugar, Homemade Lemon Salt & Cracked Pepper. It was a little too pea forward. My son’s friend called it pea-centric. :relaxed:

We have a few vegetarians, so I put 2 proteins on the side for peeps to add their own. Sautéed & chopped Chicken Tenders AND browned & braised Tofu (no photo :frowning_face:)

It was very good.

13 Likes