What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

He knows but he has his priorities, this year, it is raising vegetables.
We have to gather a lot of crabs, for seafood festival here
Generally, we have to take them out of the pot, and leave them on another pot ( they cannot escape from there) with food so they will stay fat and heavy.
When we first purchased these property in 1972, we were allowed 2 pots per property , so with 2 adjacent lots, we were allowed 4 pots, that was pretty good harvest each day for a family of 3. However, the laws changed. One can only have 1 pot per family, regardless of the number of property one owns, So, with one pot, and maximum of 24 crabs. Rest has to be thrown back to the river. the only way to have enough crab for a party is to save them .For a party, we can go trolling, one can easily get a bushel in a day. We have never done that .
He is away quite a bit and when he comes home, his GF from Netherland often comes to stay so he has to chaperon her around as she is on vacation. She comes here every 3 months, spends 10-15 days here.
I miss them but eating crabs is a social thing. It is no fun unless. you have friends to share.
Today, he is out on the boat again. He took salmon fillet and red shrimp to grill on the beach …

4 Likes

You have been blessed with a great son! I mean Great loving son!

1 Like

…is supposed to say “did reverse sear mine too”.

1 Like

Got two huge lobsters at the farmers market yesterday. Yielded 20 oz of shelled, cooked meat. I was surprised that the price per pound was considerably less than when I get small ones. My preference is …smaller is better and smaller is more tender. Concerned that the big ones would be tough, I put them (in the canvas bag) in the freezer for an hour. They went into the pot sleepily and I believe results were more tender than if they hadn’t been in the freezer. Used half last night for a requested dinner of lobster Newberg. It was delicious. Tonight I’ll use the rest for a more healthy stir fry. I love lobster:).

14 Likes

Ramen

Hi @ChristinaM, I have a Sake loving friend who thinks Riesling is a good substitute.

2 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

I’ve started a new September thread here:

4 Likes

11 Likes

No, but I’m gonna’ look for it. I’ve been obsessing over my buddy’s orgasmic experience with Butter Chicken at Amber in SF. It looks like a relatively easy dish to make. I’m doin’ it.

Thanks for the tip about Kerrygold @Saregama.

2 Likes

Okay, so, my mind didn’t even compute that as a literal statement until @mariacarmen’s comment. Who are you people?

4 Likes

Delightful report @Ttrockwood.

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

Wow, how big were those lobsters?

1 Like

Here’s a link to the closest version I can find to the long-lost handwritten recipe I was given at the original Amber India about 20 years ago:

My review is now here: Butter Chicken at Amber India (Santana Row, SJ)

5 Likes

Thanks, Buddy!

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

I forgot to weigh before I cooked them. And they are sold at the market at a price per each. They seemed HUGE to me. $20 each which seemed expensive but worked out to be a good deal:)

I don’t peel, I’ve never felt I needed to.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Wow, I didn’t even imagine, that such type of dinners exist. Caviar dinner is anything brilliant for me! As I am the great fan of fish and everything connected to it.

3 Likes