What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

In memory of my beloved husband who would have been 82 today, I made the ff dishes.
.,dUhCWSY4Rd%20dx91wuTieRA|700x525

For main course, I am offering Korean Sweet Potato Starch Noodle (Jap Chai or Chap Chai )which is actually derived from Chinese words meaning many or 10 vegetables. Usual way is to use marinated thinly sliced beef but since I have problem with red meat nowadays, I am using cooked pulled duck meat from Maple duck farm. To the cooked duck, I added caramelized onions, garlic, rehydrated shitaki mushroom , rice wine, mirin, rice vinegar and sesame oil , a touch of satay peanut sauce and Korean fermented bean paste. Also a pound of Argentina red shrimp cooked with garlic Evoo and chipotle adobo saiuce. Veg were stir fried ( carrots, leak , bell pepper) while asparagus tips were roasted for 8 minutes in oven with Evoo , garlic and rosemary. Noodles were cooked in boiling water for 6 minutes, then shocked and drained, and added sauce which was mixture of honey, soy sauce, lime, pepper and sesame oil.

All were cooked separately then of mixed together.

Dessert is Chinese glutinous rice cake with my version of adding jackfruit for my husban had gd luten enteropathy / This was one of his favorite breakfast and snack. Tom and Jery ice cream and a bottle of TJ’s chianti.

21 Likes

Wonderful photo. Very evocative.

Thank you!

Evocative, yes. Of my last days of freedom drifting away… :weary:

1 Like

This is a lovely way to memorialize the day. You were lucky to have shared such a lovely home, garden, son and so many memories.

4 Likes

I can really appreciate this. It has only been two years since my dad passed away suddenly, and I find myself having nights where I make his favorites. Some are more sad than others, and some are gushing with happiness. Still can’t get used to it, but we loved to eat and there is sometimes no better way to connect than with food (or in my dad’s case a gin martini, straight up, extra olives :wink: ). I don’t know how long its been but my condolences and well-wishes anyway.

11 Likes

In case anyone is interested we had another excellent dinner at Drew’s. Details and pictures are in the below link.

7 Likes

Butterflied pork chop, coated with panko and parmesan, sautéed in evoo. Smashed potatoes topped with roasted tomatoes and the lemon/oil/juice from the tomatoes. Stewed green beans and wine. Three day weekends are so nice.

15 Likes

I’ve diligently disconnected from everything this past week, it’s been fantastic of course… i hate living so far away from my family. Dad did have tomatoes ready for me!

I also pilfered the farmers market of course… local avocados!! Lots of raw veggies really, and taking photos of dinner just isn’t done so much… caught a bad photo of the gazpacho i made though! Crazy amazing, used a combo of backyard tomatoes and some from the market, didn’t have enough ripe yet here.

There are some grape vines in the backyard, wine with dad (mom doesn’t drink) was a daily event. Mom will make jam from the concords once they’re ready to pick

The daliahs were all blooming, lots of them in the house- mom’s favorite flower so dad grows several beds of them

My sister and I discovered that cheap bubbly and homemade kombucha is a great combo!

And of course lots of quality time with Jaggers who has a whole zoo worth of toys- the monkey is his favorite, on the third or fourth generation monkey now… :smile:

27 Likes

Nice, all of it! and what a cutie pie pooch!

3 Likes

At my sister’s for the day, and we grilled a shit-ton of meat, enough to eat for lunch/dinner, some for the BF, and for leftovers for all of us for later this week. We had 2 rib eyes, a skirt steak, flap steak, and a small rack of baby back ribs. Didn’t cook the sausages, just too much. My sister’s biz partner was there too, and he likes his meat cooked to shoe leather, so i made him his own NY steak. I made chimichurri, grilled scallions, and the ribs became Epicurious’ Sticky Balsamic Ribs. Marinated the flap steak for a bit in lemon, garlic, thyme and evoo. Truffle salt on one rib eye. Brought home a whole rib eye for the BF, some ribs, and almost all the skirt steak, which will become tacos later this week. Nuked fresh corn on the cob with TPSTOB and truffle salt for dessert.

17 Likes

@mariacarmenz, VERY nice!

Inspirational.

Husband’s New York Strip;

And mine.

Okay ,I did reverses mine a it too.

11 Likes

First tomato from the garden . Going to be one of the few . Damn you Dolores … Yum . Grilled chicken with sides . Wine to drink .Cheers.

14 Likes

@corvette_johnny

Nice antipasti …

thanks for compliment
He had been the best thing that ever happened to me.
The home is a carbon print of what he left behind.

9 Likes

It has been 7 years. Never thought that as healthy as he was, except for gluten enteropathy, he would be taken away for MDS .( Myelodysplastic Syndrome) with failed Stem Cell Bone Marrow Transplant. But the two years he survived, I was with him 24/7. Lovely memories
Thanks

9 Likes

Miss my crabs
We used to have crab and oyster feast as well as seafood paella but for the past year till now, son changed and spend his weekends cruising the bay with his friends. I cannot pull pots out of river so, miss that really as we have the best blu crabs in front of our property! Oysters were not as good because of salinity, so he moved the oysters to Solomon’s island but he has not been harvesting them either.

5 Likes

That is a shame. As much as he and his friends enjoy your cooking I would think they would also enjoy gathering the crabs and oysters. Things taste best when you have helped with the harvest! Have you told your son how much you miss the crabs and oysters?

8 Likes

He knows but he has his priorities, this year, it is raising vegetables.
We have to gather a lot of crabs, for seafood festival here
Generally, we have to take them out of the pot, and leave them on another pot ( they cannot escape from there) with food so they will stay fat and heavy.
When we first purchased these property in 1972, we were allowed 2 pots per property , so with 2 adjacent lots, we were allowed 4 pots, that was pretty good harvest each day for a family of 3. However, the laws changed. One can only have 1 pot per family, regardless of the number of property one owns, So, with one pot, and maximum of 24 crabs. Rest has to be thrown back to the river. the only way to have enough crab for a party is to save them .For a party, we can go trolling, one can easily get a bushel in a day. We have never done that .
He is away quite a bit and when he comes home, his GF from Netherland often comes to stay so he has to chaperon her around as she is on vacation. She comes here every 3 months, spends 10-15 days here.
I miss them but eating crabs is a social thing. It is no fun unless. you have friends to share.
Today, he is out on the boat again. He took salmon fillet and red shrimp to grill on the beach …

4 Likes

You have been blessed with a great son! I mean Great loving son!

1 Like

…is supposed to say “did reverse sear mine too”.

1 Like