What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

The mention of adobo reminds me again of @ccj whom I haven’t seen in some time. I tagged her a while ago and didn’t hear anything back. I hope she’s ok but fear she is not.

7 Likes

An early and snacky meal.

Sardine “salad” my dad’s way with fennel added for crunch and some mayo to see if I like it with (it was fine, but not better than without… also reminiscent of the rillettes the other night).

And tomato salad my mom’s way, plus sumac.

Missed some toast or crackers with the sardines… but not badly enough to give in.

12 Likes

After a 13+ hour flight with an 8yr old, customs, baggage claim, currency exchange, 1 hour subway ride, another hour walking to the wrong place (thanks AirBnB directions),we finally settled into our AirBnB in Beijing’s Chaoyang district. I was hoping to have stamina to find someplace other than that one halal restaurant that’s cloned everywhere throughtout China, but I was happy just to eat something. I’ve had better versions of these dishes – beef soup with hand pulled noodles and cold, spicy wide noodles with peanuts and cucumber – but I can’t complain for $6. (Also had chicken wings and two water bottles included in that price.)

Here we go again. What’s up, danger?

This restaurant’s name has one of the characters in my kid’s Chinese name (艾), so she wants to go again tonight.

18 Likes

72 was spoon tender. 48 was very good, but somewhat firmer.

Depends on what you’re going to do with meat perhaps?

I think @ChristinaM has done long sous vide projects too - maybe she can weigh in.

2 Likes

How long is the visit this year? Looking forward to your explorations again!

2 Likes

5 weeks again. First week is always hard, “Why am I doing this again?!” It gets fun a couple weeks in.

7 Likes

Really lazy meal
Farm-sourced melon

Tortellini with fresh peas in butter sauce.

10 Likes

Wow! That’s quite a trip! Where all will you be?

We’re getting to vicariously participate in lots of great trips here!

2 Likes

It’s actually open ended. I dont have accommodations past July 11. We want to explore a bit more, but if I find classes in Beijing like last year, we might spend more time here.

4 Likes

Cool! Is Beijing the base for a reason?

Trying to use stuff up. A single sliced sweet sausage, a small crown of broccoli florets, and peewee potatoes were roasted with olive oil, minced fresh rosemary and thyme, s/p, minced garlic, and some of my homemade mustard.

Not too shabby. And gives me a lunch tomorrow.

Yep. There was wine. It’s Virtual Thursday, after all.

12 Likes

Only once - I think we went just 48hrs.? It was good.

Mom memory is shot :wink:

2 Likes

Because there’s a direct flight from D.C. (only an hour and change from Baltimore to Dulles Airport.)

Also, Mandarin in this part of China is “purer” than elsewhere. Although last year my kid’s tutor yelled at me for giving her a Beijing accent. We may head North to Chengde if time permits, the (disputed) birthplace of Mandarin.

4 Likes

Serious eats and chef steps did a nice piece on this. I’ve done the 48 and 72 hour short ribs. BRB.

Maybe it was Modernist Cuisine

Nope! It was Chef Steps

Serious Eats used “pork ribs”.

One of the problems I ran into with funky 72 hour short ribs.

A post from my last try in March.

2 Likes

thank you for thinking of me. I am fine just old age and quite a lot of work after not keeping up with the garden bec of bilateral cataract ext with insertion of IOL and stent for glaucoma. Also have a lot fo problem with my computer, but seems neither Apple nor Google can solve it. I almost answered the other day when naf mentioned cooking pig legs using my recipe. I am too lazy but I do follow. It is difficult to cook when I am limited to fowl and sea food as well as am allergic to a lot of fruits and vegetables so now, my son is raising our own organic vegetables and fruits. Maybe getting a greenhouse built in the few weeks or months but a worried I may have to tear it down bec of County’s rules and regs. I find that I may be allergic to some of the wax or whatever sprayed on fruits as well. I will take pictures of the vegetable garden on top of my porch . I follow nan’s trip, bmorecupcake’s trip to China, Mr and Mrs. P’s eating adventure etc etc. Trockwood would be proud of all the vegetables being harvested ( this is the first time we have a veg garden. Everything here in this 3 acre property is ornamental plants and , Japanese maples, boxwood and conifers to name a few). I have been baking zucchini bread, have many kinds of tomatoes , the cherry tomatoes are really great with pasta ( bursting tomatoes cooked in EVOO and till they burst and release their juice. ) Fried green tomatoes and best of all, pickled zucchini, green tomatoes, jalapeño with bourbon! However, I have to deal with ticks (. had 6 of the yesterday) ad examine if any of them are the lone star tick as I would really want to be able to eat red meat again if it is possible as some alpha gal patients can revert back to normal if they do not consume any red meat and do not get bitten by lone star tick for 3 years. I still smoke for my son and. his guests but I do not touch the food.!!

20 Likes

It is good to hear from you! Pop over to the gardening thread with your harvest sometime.

3 Likes

Nice to hear you are well.

3 Likes

so good to hear from you here! hopefully you’ll be feeling up to posting again soon…

1 Like

Mexi dinner - we split a rib eye steak, marinated in a chipotle powder, granulated garlic, s&p, smoked paprika rub, with a little lime juice. mexi rice was the usual prep except i added cilantro, and extra chipotle which is why it’s so dark), and fresh corn in TPSTOB, chopped cilantro and grated cotija. sauteed some quite old scallions and fresh sliced jalapenos and serranos.

mexi%20street%20corn

16 Likes

I googled this but didn’t find it. I think it has something to do with butter.
Wait…maybe Bisquick!

On HO; 5 results for TPSTOB
https://www.hungryonion.org/search?q=TPSTOB

Ahhh! The PROVERBIAL!

2 Likes